• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cessna Skins.

behindpropellers

NE Ohio
Folks-

I would like to replace the fuselage skin behind the firewall on our 1957 172 since it has several cracks in it. Since the motor is off it would probably be a good time to do it. Is there anybody making replacement skins that are already punched and ready to install? I will have to get some pictures to show what I am talking about.

Tim

I think if it were me I would remove the skin and use it as a pattern for the new skin, marking, drilling, & cleco-ing the holes based on the old skin. It will need to be flat or near flat to get a perfect transfer. I have seen this on a 172RG after a gearup landing. It seemd to work well.

I'm not sure those skins will be drilled. You may get the pattern of the skin but it may not be drilled, and it will be MUCH more expensive than the sheet stock. I would check anyway just so you'll feel better about it. Still, If it were me I would use the old skin as a template. It would be helpful if you could show a photo so we could be sure we know what section you are referring to. I am assuming the piece has only simple curves and not complex curves. If it has complex curves the it will be necessary for you to buy it from Cessna or a salvage yard or pay a sheet metal guy lots of greenbacks to duplicate it.

The few stock replacement Cessna skins I have seen had a few holes in them but several didn't line up with anything. I drill a new skin out of flat sheet if it isn't waded up.

I concur, the only reason to buy a skin from Cessna is if it's some kind of press formed part. Otherwise drill it up from a like piece of material.

-sam

I just replaced the belly and two side skins on my 56 172. I made all of them. Most of the parts can still be purchased but if you have some time it is not a big deal. I would suspect you are changeing the two side skins, due to the tear out on the lower forward corners?

Back