• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cessna quick relese door pins

Not that I'd know first hand but 1/8" stainless steel welding rod would probably work great.
Mike

Speaking of Cessna Doors . . .

There are some springs inside the 180 door that I don't understand. Particularly vexing is the one that manages the window angle when open. There is an opening at the top of the door, but I cannot see anything down there. I don't think the spring is broken, it just needs to come back to its slot to hold the window strut. Anybody familiar?

If the spring is still caught above the arm you need to disconnect it to get it back on. If it fell into the door use a magnet to bring it back up. Put it on the arm first than use safety wire to pull the tension on it back to the hole in the top of the door.

Tom, I've seen (and flown) "Hairpin" style door hinge pins on Cessnas, but don't know size.

Quick and dirty way, take your set of fine-gradation drillbits, in 1/64th inches, numbers, and letters. Insert the shank in the hinge pin hole; find the largest size which fits. Go to your magic decoder ring (OK, OK, cheatsheet, I have several on my cubicle wall) for the nearest decimal inch equivalent size. Get the next size smaller Hairpin clip. Or cheat and mike the removed hinge pin.

If Aircraft Spruce doesn't have 'em try someone like McMaster Carr. Most of the Farm Supply stores hereabouts have a range of assorted sizes; we use 'em all the time on the aerodrome tractor. Might not help in YOUR neck-o-the-woods, though.

I think most of the Alaska Cezzna freighters use some variation of this.

Hope this helps some.

Thanks. cubscout

They are $5 from Cessna. There is an article in the Cessna Pilots Association mag. this month. Prt # S1426-2 I get Cessna parts rom Ying Ling A/C which is across the street from Cessna.

10 years later - this part (without a picture) is listed in the yingling online catalog at $14. Is that correct?

Something about Cessna part ownership - I knew there was a tax - but I'm seeing $15 to $30 a pop for these stupid little brass hinge pins. I need 4.

Did anyone stock-pile a load of these when they were $5/piece and want to help a brother out?

They are $5 from Cessna. There is an article in the Cessna Pilots Association mag. this month. Prt # S1426-2 I get Cessna parts rom Ying Ling A/C which is across the street from Cessna.

I've been warned that stainless is a problem. The expensive hinges will wear out if you run a harder metal for the pin. Hence Cessna using brass.

Last edited:
Kinda what I was just thinking also.
Dunno about brass though- maybe just a soft steel?
Or brass & just remember to check them regularly & rplace as req'd?

The pins are not brass. Brass colored cadmium plated clevis pins.
From the above:
Re: Door Hinge Pins - quick release and removal??
My god, don't buy them! As mentioned earlier, they are just SS welding rod (when I went to AirGas, they just gave me one rod for free). Cut a piece 2" longer than you need. Chuck this now 3-3.5" piece of rod in a drill, Run the drill as you use a file to sculpt the nose of the rod into a cone. Finish with some 400 sandpaper to make it smooth. Now put the rod into a vice and use an old piece of pipe as a guide and bend the other end around it to make the loop. Trim the loop to make it the desired length and file the end smooth. Gosh, this took all of 5 minutes. Make about 15 from one piece of rod. You can just make it a simple L, if you like or chose from one of the millions of available polygons you feel competent to bend it into. If your talented, make a set with one of your initials on top and the other on the bottom. For the door stop, you can get some of the Steel Safety Pins to use instead of a cotter pin:

Back