Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 26" Goodyears on a C-170

Post Thanks / Like

26" Goodyears on a C-170

I know this has been done, as there's at least one for sale that's wearing them.

It's likely that I'll be a part-owner in a B model one of these days but it simply *has* to have more rubber on the road.

If anyone knows of an existing field approval, I'd dearly love to have a copy of their 337.

Jon B.

Post Thanks / Like
    We've been working on getting them approved on a Citabria for 6 months. The MPLS FSDO claim any day now as they had to send it to Chicago for approval. But it should be done soon - so start now JB...

Post Thanks / Like
    http://gallery.taylorcraft.org/main.php?g2_itemId=2524

Thats my buddy Karl Majerle's plane with a set of GY 26" tires. This plane is one of those special ones that just flys great and performs well with the 0-300 and seaplane prop.

Jason
    N3673T

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Jason,
    Was that picture of Karl's 170 taken up at Marlon Israel's strip?
    Regards
    Chris
    PS: You'd probably need a set of Edo's under it to get in there now, still raining w/ more to come!! Our gravel bars will look different when this one is over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jon,

Yes there are several 170s wearing 26" tires. I think that an STC comes with Bushwheels, but definitely not the Goodyears.

A copy of a 337 exists at http://www.cessna170.org/

Do a search for tires. Several threads exist talking about big tires for 170s.

You will need to become a member over there to get the paper work. If you buy the 170 you will want to be a member anyway.

Bill
    Flat Country Pilot
    Farm Field PVT
    54 C170B

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris-

That is Tieton on the S.E. side of MT Rainer. We stayed there on the way back from the luxurious Owahee Hilton in eastern OR.

Jason
    N3673T

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubus Maximus
    We've been working on getting them approved on a Citabria for 6 months. The MPLS FSDO claim any day now as they had to send it to Chicago for approval. But it should be done soon - so start now JB...
    Brad:

It took that long to get the 8.50s approved on the Champ, too. In defense of the FSDO, I don't know how long they actually had the paperwork.

Barry, in the Minneapolis FSDO, is pretty decent to work with. Others aren't as accomodating, nor are they endowed with his common sense.

Jon B.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where can a guy buy a set of new 26" Goodyears, and what are they selling for? I know the ABW's are superior for most off-airport work, but I hear that the blimp tires are waaay cheaper. What's the price comparison,26" vs 26" ? (or maybe 29" on the BW's)
    I guess floats were required for Karl's strip a couple weeks ago too. Hope mother nature takes it easy for a while!

Rooster

Post Thanks / Like
    The Goodyears are in the $370-390 (each) range, and can be found in quite a few places. The two most common are Desser Tire and the SkyGeek site that advertises here. I think Desser offers free shipping.

If you don't have tubes, you'll need a pair of 8.50s for the tires. There are no 26" tubes, as they're intended to be tubeless (on the blimp wheels).

Bushwheel 26" tires are, indeed tubeless, but cost about $2700 with the STC. They're lighter, softer and mo' bigger than the Goodyears. I think that the Goodyears, because they're heavier, will last longer on pavement.

Jon B.

Post Thanks / Like
    Todd C found better price

Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:19 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought two 26" Goodyears from Premium Aircraft Parts at $323.73 each. Premium is located in Fort Smith, Arkansas. They had the best price that I could find back in June 06. Shipping was free too.
    Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    You'll never regret spending the extra $2K on a set of 26" Bushwheels. Cheapest insurance you can buy. They are much taller and more forgiving than the Goodyears.

I'm sure a local friend here has a slightly used set of Goodyears if you really want them.

Post Thanks / Like

26" goodyears on a C-170

how much bigger are the 26 inch goodyears than 8.50's??

Post Thanks / Like
    N4873A said:

"You'll never regret spending the extra $2K on a set of 26" Bushwheels."

Well, it's obvious to me that you haven't met Mrs. B. I'd regret it quite a bit if I spent the extra $2k. And for a long time, too.

Jon B.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like Premium is the place for the blimpies. I surfed around,didn't land on Premium but what I found was:
    Skygeek: 26X10.5X6 Goodyears @ $365 each + $65 tube= $860/pair
    ABW: 26X12X6 @ $2700/pair
    29X13X6 @ $3100/pr
    31X13X6 @ $3400/pr
    So about $1850 more for the 29" BW's, $2250 more for 31's. Quite a difference. Worth it? Depends on the airplane & the mission, I guess.

Rooster

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess if a guy isn't going with the Bushwheels, my opinion would be to go with 8.50 x 6's inflated to around 12 psi. I did that on my C180 and it worked fine. The Goodyears are not a great compromise for the price. Just my thoughts though since I am relying on other guy's opinions of their tires. I've never had Goodyears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh...don't forget, the BW's are stc'd for the 170. You'll have to find some reasonable person at your local FSDO to get a 337 for the Goodyears. That's getting tougher all the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    The 8.50's will do 99 % of what either the Goodyear 26 inch tires or the 26 inch Bushwheels will do.

The biggest advantage of either of the 26 inch tires is that they are treadless, so they throw less rocks at your tail.

If you really need serious off airport tires, as in for big rocks or serious loose sand, get the big Bushwheels.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Jon - you sound like Rumpole of the Bailey. "She who must be obeyed"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubus Maximus
    Jon - you sound like Rumpole of the Bailey. "She who must be obeyed"?
    Oh heck no. I can disobey, and often do.

I have to live with the consequences, though, and it's not worth it.

If you have to buy new tires, and get them approved, maybe the Goodyears would be just a bit better than the 8.50s. Neither 8.50s nor 26s are approved for the 170B.

Brad: On a couple of the gun forums I visit, there are a few guys who refer to their wives as "SWMBO". They always have to explain it to the new guys.

Jon B.

ps for MTV: What you say about the 8.50s isn't echoed over on the H*sky site... They think the Goodyear 26s are the cat's meow. And, can all the Bushwheel guys here be wrong?

Post Thanks / Like
    Jon,

The Bushwheel guys aren't wrong. But, what they're almost exclusively talking about are the big tires, not the 26 inch tires.

I think the 26 inch Bushwheels would be significantly better tires in many ways than either the 8.50s or the 26 GY's, by the way. But, they don't hold up as well on pavement as the others, and frankly, as i noted, if you are going where you really need TIRES, get the biggest, baddest ones out there, and those are the 31's from ABW.

Otherwise, the 8.50 or 26 GY work fine. Look at the size of the 26 GY, and compare to a set of 8.50's. Not THAT much difference, plus very stiff sidewalls. you'll never wear a set out, though.

And, either the BW or the GY 26 will drain your bank account way more than a set of 8.50s, although they aint cheap either.

Whatever winds your watch, though..... I realize that these decisions often are not made based purely on performance issues......and that's okay as well.

There used to be a Guide worked on the Alaska Peninsula with a Cub on 8.50s. He went just about anywhere everyone else did, and worked some tough landing sites. He also had experience with big tires and said he just didn't see it as being worth the cost.

To each his own.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    delete

Post Thanks / Like
    Crash:
    Your right on. I just picked up the SOA's pair of 29"Gar-Aero's on eBay for my 185 for just the reason you spoke. Glad to hear about the 10" BW. That should be the hot set up for the heavy iron.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to put everything in perspective, a set of 850's with tubes will only set ya back about $360. Waay cheaper than even the blimpies.

Rooster