Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: AND YOU'RE COMPLAINING ABOUT THE COSTS OF FLYING??

Post Thanks / Like

AND YOU'RE COMPLAINING ABOUT THE COSTS OF FLYING??

sent to me by Capt Alcorn (who is much older than I)

And this is only 51 years ago!

Comments made in the year 1955:

"I'll tell you one thing, if things keep going the way they are, it's going to be impossible to buy a week's groceries for $20."

"Have you seen the new cars coming out next year? It won't be long before $2000 will only buy a used one."

"If cigarettes keep going up in price, I'm going to quit. A quarter a pack is ridiculous."

"Did you hear the post office is thinking about charging a dime just to mail a letter?"

"If they raise the minimum wage to $1, nobody will be able to hire outside help at the store."?

"When I first started driving, who would have thought gas would someday cost 29 cents a gallon. Guess we'd be better off leaving the car in the garage."

"Kids today are impossible. Those duck tail hair cuts make it impossible to stay groomed. Next thing you know, boys will be wearing their hair as long as the girls."

"I'm afraid to send my kids to the movies any more. Ever since they let Clark Gable get by with saying 'damn' in 'Gone With The Wind,' it seems every new movie has either "hell" or "damn" in it.

"I read the other day where some scientist thinks it's possible to put a man on the moon by the end of the century. They even have some fellows they call astronauts preparing for it down in Texas ."

"Did you see where some baseball player just signed a contract for $75,000 a year just to play ball? It wouldn't surprise me if someday they'll be making more than the president."

"I never thought I'd see the day all our kitchen appliances would be electric. They are even making electric typewriters now."

"It's too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where a few married women are having to work to make ends meet."

"It won't be long before young couples are going to have to hire someone to watch their kids so they can both work."

"Marriage doesn't mean a thing any more; those Hollywood stars seem to be getting divorced at the drop of a hat."

"I'm just afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open the door to a whole lot of foreign business."

"Thank goodness I won't live to see the day when the Government takes half our income in taxes. I sometimes wonder if we are electing the best people to congress."

"The drive-in restaurant is convenient in nice weather, but I seriously doubt they will ever catch on."

"There is no sense going to Lincoln or Omaha anymore for a weekend. It costs nearly $15 a night to stay in a hotel."

"No one can afford to be sick any more; $35 a day in the hospital is too rich for my blood."

"If they think I'll pay 50 cents for a hair cut, forget it."

'Know friends who would get a kick out of these? Pass it on!

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent post illustrating the massive devaluation (aka theft) of our dollar from $35 per au oz when this was written to over $600 today!

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting. Just last night I was trying to do an inflation analysis of the price of gas in my head based on the 25 cents a gal I remember back in the early 1950s. My general conclusion was that the price of gas (especially if you remove tax) has not kept pace with inflation.

GR

Post Thanks / Like

Living expense

After working for 45 years and looking back on things. Its always been a struggle trying to make a living and raise a family. The only way I could get ahead was buy property and just hang on to it. The value increased alot faster than trying to keep money in the bank. Then I started my own business 25 years ago, again I had control of my income and this helped some. So if we made a dollar a hour and spent .35 for gas or make $20. a hour and spend $3.00 for gas it all works out the same.
    Smile that Cub you bought for $75,000 this year will be worth $150,000 in 10 years and the CubCrafter cubs will be about $350,000.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Living expense

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Ingerson
    Smile that Cub you bought for $75,000 this year will be worth $150,000 in 10 years and the CubCrafter cubs will be about $350,000.
    That just means that your dollar will be worth half of what it is now or less. So don't keep any dollar assets for very long - its value will be stolen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Whoa Christina .... this is suppose to be a fun thing here.
    (Lighter Than Air)
    Com'on give us a great big Super Smile!!

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Christina,

Yup, lets you and I stop the cycle. I will give you the $500 that your cub was worth in 51, and then you can be satisfied that at least SOME money did not get Stolden

I hear it from my Grandfather that he could have bought a cub for $1500, and what things cost. I ask what he made as a shift supervisor for Pan AM, do the number crunch, and guess what? The only real change has been the amount of stuff we have, and housing. Though houses cost a bit more, Getting cheap money is not as easy.

How many people can remember buying a house or plane on a handshake?
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!