Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do You Remember Your First Off Airport Landing?PleaseShare

Post Thanks / Like
    All right Wup. Congrads.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Off Airport Landing

The one float landing I remember the most was in 1983. Had our first Cub for a short time and still a little rough around the edges when it came to docking etc. Wife and I went to a small lake on the West Coast of Vancouver Island that had lots of overhanging limbs branches and steep banks making it difficult to fit in a suitable spot. Had chopped the power and with everything shut down she got out on the float to help with the "arrival". Things still weren't going well and while not actually meaning it I said "jump in". Next thing I heard was a loud splash and there she was over her waist in the water holding on to the float and a rope. Think her main concern was maintaining the investment. Now there's a keeper!! Can't remember but probably hadn't figured out what paddles were for.

Post Thanks / Like
    mine was with me and my father in a rental Cessna 172 with me private certificate still wet.

Post Thanks / Like
    My first off field landing was in a glider, as were the next 11. Then I started flying the Supercub. First off field landing in the cub was a river gravel bar. After the gravel bars for a while, then onto an alpine meadow. The meadow was very remote, and I could not check it out except from the air. Everything was ok with the meadow. Then onto floats and skis. Nowadays most of my landings are off field, except when I return to the airport. I have not been back to the meadow or the gravel bars as it's either floats or skis now, and the big tires just sit in the back of the hanger gathering dust.

M1

Post Thanks / Like

Do You Remember Your First Off Airport Landing?PleaseShare

This would be my first really cool off airport landing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4idAwr1B0eQ

Someday I hope to have another cool one to post – I’m working on it.

cliff in Maine

Flapman
    Alaska statute 02.15.260(5): "airport" means an area of land or water that is used or intended for use for the landing and take-off of aircraft....
    Everyplace i have landed I intended to do so (so far), therefore I have never landed off airport in Alaska.

Regards,
    Flapman

Post Thanks / Like

landing

Kink river gravel bar by pioner pk.
    In 1974 I just finished building my first cub. I had back seat time but had
    never taken off or landed a plane. the cub was assembled at what is now
    hill top strip about three miles from birchwood Ak. at that time it was 1200'
    with trees all around it. Early in the morning with nobody around I was taxing around trying to get the feel of the tail wheel. Well that was going
    good so I started giving it some blasts of power. Well that got out of control and ended up in the air with trees and parked cubs to close to try
    and stop. So now I was flying and afraid to try and land so headed up
    the river and find a biggggg bar to land. After about 30 take offs and
    landings i got up enough nerve to go home and land.
    So my big thrill was to land back at home. Then it was off to see the instructor.
    Likes vj88, YoungCub907 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My first off-airport landing also was near the Knik Glacier, Alaska in 1980, I think. It was in my first airplane, a 7ACA Champ with my mother in the back seat. The motor let go just as we got to the glacier. Luckily, I had enough room to turn back out and ended up on one of several enormous gravel bars at the bottom. Might have been one of my better landings even with my mom pounding me on the back yelling, "Land it! Land it! Oh, please land it!!!" She passed two years ago, but I remember it just like it was yesterday. Nowadays off-airport landings are just another aspect of flying little taildraggers and I don't think much about 'em. But my mom never flew with me again. Good story that made it to Flying's "I learned about flying from that" feature.
    Likes brown bear liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't remember the first off airport landing but I do remember one of my last off field airport landings. I was lucky to retrieve the plane after I stopped and looked at what was needed for a takeoff I thought I was there until the river dried up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tame by most people's standards, but this is in farm about 1200', some good rolls and I only have 8.5's on.

It was a great experience though and I'm looking forward to the next one!

Post Thanks / Like
    It was 1971 and I had 2 or 3 hours in my "new" 1946 Aerona Champ 7AC with large, smooth tires and an 85 hp engine (N3005E). I was a newly licensed pilot, and it was just before hunting season so my best friend, Jim Hansen, and I wanted to scout the Totatlinika Trail for moose and access. I loaded my rifle, a funnel, and 5 gal of 80/87 into the Champ and we were off! My previous flying experience was a pilot's license at 40 hours in a Cherokee 140 at Jeffco Airport in Colorado.

The airplane had a 13 gallon tank, and I was told it burned about 5 GPH. I watched our time as we flew from Fairbanks, and announced to Jim we had to return in order to have enough fuel reserve. Of course we had a headwind, and despite having enough fuel (in my calculations) to reach Fairbanks, my fuel indicator started to roll to "E" which made me very nervous. I kept staring at the guage and refiguring my fuel, and I knew I should be O.K.

Except, could the quick drain be leaking? Could the fuel line be leaking? Could the tank be dented and not actually hold 13 gallons? Could the engine be using 8 GPH instead of 5? All of the questions were flying through my mind, and I'd look down on the swamps which meant a major crash landing with no hope of recovering the airplane with a high probability of injury.

I told Jim everything, and we immediately headed for the Tanana River and looked for a silt bar to land on. We found a silt bar, probably as long as Fairbanks International, but it still looked dangerous with sticks and willows and logs everywhere. After the second pass I pulled the power and announced that was it, we would take whatever came. We successfully came to a stop, both jumped out and whooped it up. After relieving myself in the bushes (I was really scared after all) I put the 5 gallons in and we took off.

Turns out the gauge was not calibrated correctly, and I had had plenty of fuel.

The lessons were 1) I didn't know my airplane and its peculiar characteristics 2) I had done the right thing by landing with power before my engine stopped 3) Having extra fuel and funnel with chamois was a good thing 4) and it was possible to land on a silt bar and still live.

I can still see my final approach picture in my mind, the dry silt, willows and logs and silty river to my left. Sadly my best friend died in a PA-12 snowstorm crash in Windy Pass with another friend Gary Montgomery in winter 1974-75. Jim was a great friend, loads of fun, and although he got me into a lot of trouble I chuckle about the experiences now and am glad to have those precious memories.

That first off-airport landing will always be one of my brightest memories!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redrooster
    On an old railroad grade (I think) in Noxon Montana. There's a windsock mounted atop the adjacent tavern. Yee-haw!

Rooster
    Unfortunately Pacific Power & Light owns that property that the railroad grade is on and they decided to subdivide the property along the river downstream and closed that unofficial landing strip. They did so by pushing up big berms in several places - like speed bumps but bigger.

Here it is about year 2000 and without speed bumps.
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp

Post Thanks / Like
    Once again I'm reading a post and thinking "cool..but I'd have nothing to add" and once again a memory bubbles up from the 172 straight tail days. By the way they were not very long. I couldn't really afford ownership and MAINTENANCE but they sure were fun. Anyway must have been early eighties (they all were) and I saw an add for some "cheap" property (40 acres 5000$??)in eastern Washington somewhere north of Spokane. I called and the guy said "oh yeah, theres a runway, I''ll have the neighbor mow it for you this weekend". Further questioning revealed it was really just a farmers field on the side of a river canyon but someone had landed there "once". "Just follow the river north and when you see the field on the side of the canyon ,land". Well early one morning soon I and a friend I talked into going with me headed out to the airport. As I was doing my pre-flight I stopped in the middle to fill the oil to the top. After adding a couple of quarts I took the cans back to the trash and then continued the pre-flight. About three hours later we arrived at the "strip" which was on the side of the canyon (prolly 12-1500'). I did a nice short field landing and shut down. Exiting the plane I was greeted with an oily mess all over the bottom and side. Arggh. I had left the filler cap off (anytime I interupted a pre-flight after that I always started over from the beginning). No houses to be seen and here we were on the side of this steep canyon. A quick look see at the property and then begin the trip home. Pre-flight-inside-latch doors and hit "start" Nothing. No power at all. Damn. "must be oil on the contactor" No tools. No place to tie the plane down and no help. OK "heres how you run the switch, hold the brakes like so.. heres what I'll say" etc. I prop a plane "succesfully" for the first time in my life. All goes well, I hold it on the ground till we fly off the cliff and we head for Wenatchee about 1.5 hours away for fuel. I land and pull up by the terminal and a bunch of people start clapping, smiling and waving..?? It was just a normal landing?? huh? After shutting down I get out and wrapped all over the stabilizer and elevator and gear was this neatly combed very long grass covering the empenage. I guess it looked like I had been flying very low over the fields. dave

Quote Originally Posted by spinner2
    Quote Originally Posted by redrooster
    On an old railroad grade (I think) in Noxon Montana. There's a windsock mounted atop the adjacent tavern. Yee-haw!

Rooster
    Unfortunately Pacific Power & Light owns that property that the railroad grade is on and they decided to subdivide the property along the river downstream and closed that unofficial landing strip. They did so by pushing up big berms in several places - like speed bumps but bigger.

Here it is about year 2000 and without speed bumps.

Post Thanks / Like
    My BIL asked me, some years back, to take him out to his mechanic's shop ", near Palmer" since I had a newly acquired PA-12. Sure, sounds good, glad to help out, ASSUMING, that we'd walk from the Palmer airport to the shop.

Lo and behold, as we're about 5 miles shy of Palmer and I'm getting ready to call the FSS, my BIL calls out "that's the place, right down there"

...OK, well, I've never landed off-airport, but the 12 has biggish tires, I've learned to slip it pretty good, and the (mowed) hay field looks pretty good. So I get all setup and then my BIL jumps in again: "The reason that it's not mowed on the far end is that there's a ditch and a fence there." Well, wasn't planning to get anywhere near the far end, but now I can't stop thinking about it.

Anyway, landing is uneventful (if longer than I would have liked) and very tame compared to what the real cub jockeys do, but it was the first one. Really liked the absence of asphalt grab on the tires.
    Back In Alaska

Post Thanks / Like
    neat stories!

Post Thanks / Like
    My first landing was my first off airport landing. 26" wheels on a frozen lake, in a snowstorm. I did did all my PPT on ski's, aside from this first flight.

Post Thanks / Like
    My first was with Pierce and Tom Ford on the way to JC 2015.

Nokai Dome. A two track at 6500 msl.

My knees were shaking when I got out.

Beautiful there, though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	27012

The "runway".

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	27013
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God!"
    Likes WanaBNACub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Roger the shaky knees! My first was frozen Windfall Lake near Juneau in my T-Craft, 1975. 8.00 X 6.00 tires.
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)

Post Thanks / Like
    Owyhee Reservoir lakebed, New Years Eve, 2010. I was playing around at the nearby airstrip, and thought, why not? Surface was frozen, like concrete. I did roll over a couple of rocks with the new (used) 29" Bushwheels, didn't even feel them.

Name:	IMG_0036.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	203.8 KB 
ID:	27016
    Likes alaskadrifter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Not the first but a little league baseball field surrounded with a 8' chainlink fence and picked up a skydiver to fly out in my C90 pa11. Don't let friends pressure you into doing stupid things.

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    My instructor examiner passed me but owner operator wanted to verify my "skills". He set me up on small tree surrounded grass field to to cautionary. As I applied power for go around he yanked throttle off and we landed in tiny field. He said you sure picked a small one. E said let's go. I said "no I'm not qualified to get it our of such a small field". He said so what are you going to do. I said I'm going go hitch hike home and you the owner can take the wings off and ship home. He laughed and showed me how to go corner to corner and get up over the shortest trees with two on board. It worked and I passed.

Sent from my SM-G870W using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Likes C130jake, Jim Hann liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Nokai Dome enroute to JC in 2015. When I got out my knees were shaking. I was on 8.50s and Pierce and Ford were on bushwheels. It was an adrenaline rush.
    Likes WanaBNACub, Colorguns, Steve Pierce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    First beach landing, west shore of the lower Cook Inlet in a 135hp Pacer. My buddy told me to just land like it's a level runway. It worked out good but take off was a little more exciting. I headed towards a cured fairly steep section and the Pacer didn't leap into the air and I got into the corner and it was filled with sand waves 90 deg. To the t/o roll. The plane started to bounce up settle back hit a wave and slow a little and every time l drifted closer to the water and the beach was getting steeper and I couldn't bank as the wing was closer to the beach. She finally flew off, good learning experience. Also I don't think the 8.00x6's help much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Foy View Post
    Nokai Dome enroute to JC in 2015. When I got out my knees were shaking. I was on 8.50s and Pierce and Ford were on bushwheels. It was an adrenaline rush.
    I have the video.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes Jim Hann liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Put it up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Put it up!
    Just a picture, I do have a video of you landing at Mexican Mountain.

Name:	20150614_141103.jpg 
Views:	485 
Size:	962.3 KB 
ID:	30745
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    "I'm alive!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Steve Pierce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Not admitting that it ever happened to me!

Name:	IMG_0955.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	30746
    Likes algonquin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    "I'm alive!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That was my exclamation 5 secs after touchdown!

It actually was a pretty good landing. I walked away and the plane was still airworthy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Who wants to see Ford?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Just a picture, I do have a video of you landing at Mexican Mountain.

Name:	20150614_141103.jpg 
Views:	485 
Size:	962.3 KB 
ID:	30745

Post Thanks / Like
    Who wants to see Ford?

Sure do... LMAO!!

Likes Farmboy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Was that SJ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope,,,,,,That was your wingman..

Post Thanks / Like
    Was that SJ?

Your in trouble now

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    This was probably the same year we figured out the open pilot warranty was not in effect on 4CC.

It's also why those guys wanted me to put ASOS on that plane - I thought it would just be easier for them to learn how to land better.

sj
    Last edited by SJ; 03-30-2017 at 02:45 PM.
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine was in my Pacer on the ice on Lake Waramaug in Kent Connecticut but the most memorable was on a trip to Florida around 1981. I hitched a ride with friend Jim Poel and his wife Lavada in his Aztec. I was heading down to spend some time with my dad and Jim offered a ride to West Palm. We left Danbury (DXR) and spent the night in Georgia with his two girls and ex wife. Not many could pull that off comfortably but anyone who might have know Jim could appreciate why he could, smooth, likable guy with a passion for humor. Jim was a skillful and disciplined pilot and my memories of him and this event will forever be etched in my mind and should I forget I will be reminded by a pair of permanent wrinkles on my ass cheeks, the kind you only get by involuntarily sucking so hard you find out what naugahyde tastes like. After leaving Georgia that next morning we continued south towards southern Florida, Jim mentioned he might drop in on an old skydiving buddy from Stormville NY who was camping out somewhere in the Everglades. At one point Jim pointed down to the only dry spot for miles a slightly elevated opening with a short dirt strip, trees on all sides mid-way there was a small wooden shack with no signs of a road in or out. After a low pass he came around and dropped that little twin in and stopped just short of a burned out twin something. After taxiing back a guy comes out of the shack wearing only a knife and a loin cloth. Remember this was the 80's and even knowing better I was still waiting for the Fed's to swoop in any minute. Had there been a road I would have walked out, the whole time I'm thinking about how we were ever going to get out and each time I glanced at that burned wreck I got more concerned finally Jim said we better go before it gets any warmer. The only reassuring thing for me was I knew Jim was a numbers guy he flew for AA and knew what he needed, me I was just scared. On take off all I remember is looking out the window at that burned wreck thinking man we're get closer and closer. Thanks Jim!
    Last edited by 40m; 03-30-2017 at 03:29 PM.

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be
    found in all corners of the earth."

Then he made the earth round... and He laughed and laughed and laughed!

Post Thanks / Like
    His brake technique has improved greatly. That looked like me with heel brakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
    Nope,,,,,,That was your wingman..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    Your in trouble now

Glenn
    Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    Mine was in my Pacer on the ice on Lake Waramaug in Kent Connecticut but the most memorable was on a trip to Florida around 1981. I hitched a ride with friend Jim Poel and his wife Lavada in his Aztec. I was heading down to spend some time with my dad and Jim offered a ride to West Palm. We left Danbury (DXR) and spent the night in Georgia with his two girls and ex wife. Not many could pull that off comfortably but anyone who might have know Jim could appreciate why he could, smooth, likable guy with a passion for humor. Jim was a skillful and disciplined pilot and my memories of him and this event will forever be etched in my mind and should I forget I will be reminded by a pair of permanent wrinkles on my ass cheeks, the kind you only get by involuntarily sucking so hard you find out what naugahyde tastes like. After leaving Georgia that next morning we continued south towards southern Florida, Jim mentioned he might drop in on an old skydiving buddy from Stormville NY who was camping out somewhere in the Everglades. At one point Jim pointed down to the only dry spot for miles a slightly elevated opening with a short dirt strip, trees on all sides mid-way there was a small wooden shack with no signs of a road in or out. After a low pass he came around and dropped that little twin in and stopped just short of a burned out twin something. After taxiing back a guy comes out of the shack wearing only a knife and a loin cloth. Remember this was the 80's and even knowing better I was still waiting for the Fed's to swoop in any minute. Had there been a road I would have walked out, the whole time I'm thinking about how we were ever going to get out and each time I glanced at that burned wreck I got more concerned finally Jim said we better go before it gets any warmer. The only reassuring thing for me was I knew Jim was a numbers guy he flew for AA and knew what he needed, me I was just scared. On take off all I remember is looking out the window at that burned wreck thinking man we're get closer and closer. Thanks Jim!
    Myself, anybody who ever knew Jim, the Curtiss Museum and all of aviation lost a good one when he went home.

Glenn
    Likes 40m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Not my first, but the first in the Cub I presently own. I'd only had the plane a few weeks. I spotted a neat little one-way hill that had a HUGE drop-off on the back side. The problem being if you failed to stop by the top, you'd fall off the back at walking speed. After a couple of test runs and a firm conviction of "Failure is not an option", I went for it. It was probably the best case of energy management ever afforded to man by God Almighty. I actually had to add a touch of power to pirouette on the crest. After a quick couple of pics (long gone) I blasted off and circled to have a reflective look. As I looked down I became aware of all the things that could have gone wrong, and all the associated expenses/implications that could have come as a result. In the following nine years I've set up on that hill 3 or 4 times, but have never actually landed there again, nor will I.
    After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF !