Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Aeroshell vs Phillips Oil for O-235-C1 on PA-12

Post Thanks / Like

Aeroshell vs Phillips Oil for O-235-C1 on PA-12

Previously had used Phillips 20-50w on O-235-C on my PA-12. Replaced that engine with O-235-C1 with fresh overhaul. This engine with approximately 35 hours SMOH is now broken in as reflected by oil consumption stabilizing. Although Aeroshell 15-50W is more expensive than the Phillips 20-50W, I understand it has an additive that helps increase the "stickiness" of the oil so it clings more effectively to the lubricated surfaces. I'm inclined to begin using the Aeroshell at the first oil change. Does anyone have any thoughts about which oil to use?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have switched from Aeroshell 15 50 to Exxon Elite 20 W 50 oil. From what I read (and it's all propaganda, cause the oil companies won't tell you exactly what they put in their oils), the Exxon additive package seems to be a better one than the Aeroshell one.

ALL Aeroshell oils now have the same additive package, I believe.

You will generate all sorts of replies on this list to the effect that the Aeroshell 15 50 will make your engine blow up, your dog will start biting neighbor kids, your wife will run off with a biker chick, and so forth.

In my opinion, having run a LOT of Aeroshell 15 50 for a lot of hours and years, that is all BS. It is a good oil.

That said, the viscosity is very runny, and for that reason and the additive package, I've switched to Exxon Elite. You can buy Elite on line from Exxon, and shipping is free.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    I was using Aeroshell straight weight in summer and 15w50 in winter. So was my Dad and many of my customers. My Dad noticed he had more blow-by and an oily belly when running the 15w50. He quized the Aeroshell guys at Sun & Fun and they told him that the sythetic additives that they add to 15w50 are thinner than the mineral based oils and tend to leak out or blow out a little more. We all switched to Phillips 20w50 which s mineral based and have noticed a dryer belly and still have the benifits of multi viscosity in the winter.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Cranman
    Post Thanks / Like
    I noticed the same thing Steve. Tried one oil change with the Shell multi. Went back to Phillips on both planes. Better oil pressure and less oil consumption.

Post Thanks / Like
    100w plus works great

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep Yard Dart! My summer only (float) customers get Shell 100W and the others run Phillips 20W50 all year long. On my O-320-C2A I'm rarely adding a quart before 25hr oil changes. Start at 7qts change when it's hitting 5.5 to 5 unless we're into some really hot weather and I'll keep it above 6 for piece of mind.