• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Brazos sand bar landings legal or not???

teeweed

GONE WEST
Hempstead, Texas
Trying to find out if it's legal to land on the sand bars along the Brazos river's 850 miles of sand bars. I lost my post I had written earlier and can't locate it. So I am posting again, asking again if anybody know? I had been told information which makes me think if you don't leave deep tracks or destroy property or tresspass to get on the land, and stay on the unproductive sand next to the river then you were ok. Then I hear that the Brazos River is all privatly owned and that new laws have been passed which would not alow you to land. BRA (Brazos River Authority) told me that on the phone and gave me another divission to call because it sounds like BRA has no authority about this kind of matter, and I did call and I am still waiting for them to return my call. Tonight is perfect for some sand landing but I am unsure about it now. I don't want to get between a angry land owner or game warden. They might try and take my plane away over some misunderstanding on some misguided info. Thanks for any help. teeweed

Rog... thanks for the invite and same to ya if you get this way.. 27xs.......but lets just say for grins, we both went out to your local sand bar and made some really nice landings, mine being 100 feet shorter than yours, and oh yes, having a good-old time and THEN low and behold.... up jumps Rancher Jim and his game warden friend. Can't you just see it........ you and I walking on the side of an old dirt road. Kicking rocks and dirt-clauds, our thumbs in the air trying to get a ride because our wives won't come and get us because they told us so. The planes we had are now state property. Never mind........let me know when you want to go. teeweed

From my hanger to the Brazos is about 4 minutes. It's almost like...click... Sport Flyers..this is 9391D for take off...departing the pattern to the west and....in a minute or two I am hunting rocks, petrified wood and wolly mammoth teeth. From my home to the hanger is 30 miles and thats to far to walk if I get my plane taken. teeweed

Is the Brazos river navigitable? If so then it should be federal jurisdiction. Maybe try asking the Coast Guard.

Back home in Washington any thing below the average high water line is ok as long as it is not in a national park or one of those other anti "motorized vehicle" chunks of land. I see lots of truck and 4-wheeler tracks in the bars along the brazos up here near Graham, TX.

Jason
N3673T

Its legal. Just stay in the confines of the river and dont go up the banks. Its always good to know whos place you are next to. If its a real rancher or farmer you will have no problems. On the other hand if its one of those Houston ambulance chaser's who recently puchased adjacent property they will try to show you how important they are and it might not be worth their rath,all though you would prevail but probably at some expense to your self. I like to just use good judgement. You will end up having more problems from loose sand I'm afraid. Be carefull.

It is legal and I have a friend with a letter to back it up. The new laws were inacted to keep the four wheelers and dirt bikes from tearing it up. I will get a copy of the letter and forward it on.

Hey, I'd like a copy too :lol:

Teeweed, I've been there a couple times. Lately, my flying time and mother nature has cooperated. One day things will be aligned!

Sharp

It is legal and I have a friend with a letter to back it up. The new laws were inacted to keep the four wheelers and dirt bikes from tearing it up. I will get a copy of the letter and forward it on.
Resurrecting this thread. Any clarification on this? We would like to land, camp and build a campfire. Any thoughts?

Never got the letter but got clarification. I had this discussion on a gravel bar in the Brazos River with a local game warden. From a conversation with a member of the Brazos River Authority almost 20 years ago we are not motor driven vehicles therefore it is not illegal for us to operate on the Brazos River. I told the game warden this. He climbed up the bank to get cell service, called his boss who read the law and they booth agreed we are legal. Our wheels are not driven so we are like an airboat with wings. It is a $500 fine to operate a wheel driven vehicle in the Brazos River. I also found out that the BRA has no jurisdiction north of Hwy 67 which is where I tend to operate after having unpleasant dealings with them on the dry lake bottom of Possum Kingdom Lake during the drought.

Cathy, Chewy and I enjoyed the change in the weather yesterday and after she did some take offs and landings at a local grass strip we went on a river run.
IMG_20181209_161627.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181209_161627.jpg
    IMG_20181209_161627.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 971
Mark "teeweed" Jarvis has been gone ten years now. Thinking about him today!

sj

1210181307.jpg
Headed home. Thanks again s2d for the coffee. Pierce, your country looks a lot warmer!

Attachments

• 1210181307.jpg
    1210181307.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 178
Back