• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fabric Life

stearmann4

FRIEND
Tenino, WA
Fellow Cub Pilots,

My Cub was imported from Canada in 05', (by a previous owner) and I aquired it a month ago. In combing through the Canadian logs, it states the plane was re-covered in 85' with some sort of cloth, and rejuvenated with Randolph Butyrate (sp) in 1999. It has always been hangared, appears in great shape, but how long can I expect it to last in it's current condition?

Unfortunately, the Canadian logs don't state the results of punch tests, just "Fabric tests good". I will probably be the perfect example of a naive buyer who overlooked the obvious during the excitement of buying my first plane, but it's too late now.

The previous owner said a local IA and the SeatTac FSDO went through the aircraft in detail for it's US airworthiness certificate. Still no comments on the fabric conduction.

Thanks for your inputs.

Mike-

J-3C N104LG

Mike

Basically, if it is a dacron type fabric, it is pretty much good indefinitely when hangared and if properly done in the first place. If yours has lasted this long it is probably good for many years to come.

Bill

Mike,

Like Bill said, if it's Dacron (ie PolyFiber or Ceconite) and kept in a hangar, it's good for a long time. You'll figure out the airplane will have to be recovered because the structure underneath needs to be looked at.

nkh

Mike ,
If covered in "85" the owner would of had to go out of his way to
use a cotton product . Rejuvenated 10 years later could be a hint
that it was, outside for a bit, bad job of chemical application or
possibly some the water based products that were around in
the 80s. Look inside on the fabric you will find a stamp that will
I.D. the fabric. My J3 was covered in 85 and is like new. Your
I.A. will be helpful with a fabric test.
Jon

Back