Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tailwheel training near Reston, VA???

Post Thanks / Like

Tailwheel training near Reston, VA???

I "get" to spend three weeks in Reston, Va for work this month. Does anyone have any recommendtions of tailwheel instructors within a 2 or 3 hour drive from Reston. I am partway through my tailwheel training and want to spend some time with another instructor in another location. Preferably, I want to find an instructor with a cub or other tandem seating plane...but I will take anything. I figure a weekend of flying will make the three weeks a little more enjoyable.

Thanks,

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Dulles A/P is out. Try contacting Winchester Airport about a 1.5 hour drive west of Reston. There was tailwheel checkouts there some months ago but I have not heard of any recently. They did not use Cubs though. Also, try contacting folks in Warrenton or Culpepper, VA. There might be someone there that could direct you to tailwheel instruction.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

TW training

I'd highly recommend Andover Flight In Andover NJ.
    Airnav shows it as 170 miles...well worth the drive.
    I drove down from CT monthly for the last year for "my fix"...flying both the tailwheel and flying with Damien. He's a blast....and trust me when I tell you...I am VERY picky when it comes to flight instructors.
    You wont be disappointed!!!
    Laura

Post Thanks / Like

Andover

Oh...I forgot...he flies a 180hp Top Cub on big wheels.

Call now.

This ad has been paid for by no one....just a VERY satisfied customer!!!

ls

Post Thanks / Like
    Chis,

Don't know if he's still around but try Tony Markl. Retired Airforce, been everywhere, done everything, real character, you'll like him, everybody does. He has a Champ and instructs over on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Probably less than 2 hours from the DC area, I think!

http://www.intercom.net/~markl/

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the suggestions. I thought about Andover, but both Google and Mapquest put it at about 4 to 5 hours drive. I want to stay a little closer to Reston.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill Finnagin does spin training in an S2B or S2C east of DC. I've misplaced his contact info, but perhaps you can find it via Google. I've done the training with Bill, and it's a hoot.

Have you checked with the Cub Club. I know that Steve Krog routinely publishes contact info for tailwheel CFIs in the newsletter.

Eric
    Speedo

Post Thanks / Like
    Adam Cope Spin training located at Potomac Airfield (washington Adiz) 703-623-9445 n a spin@yahoo.com Get some tailwheel time and adiz training all at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is an instructory in Warrenton VA who has a nice Decathalon that he rents out and does tailwheel instruction in. This would be the closest and I hear that he does a good job. I see him from time to time with students around Culpeper.

Robbie Yeaman
    1954 C-180
    N2980C

Post Thanks / Like
    The Decathalon at Warrenton belonged to Ross, he has now moved to Texas to make money running a non-aviation machine shop (sad). I have my supercub at Manassas see the below link, not far at all from Reston. I have to drive it all the time. trying to schedule a BFR with them now.

http://www.aviationadventures.com/

Post Thanks / Like

tailwheel

buckley aviation 202 255 4352 7KCAB at vkx cheap