• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bear attack in Arctic - CAUTION: GRAPHIC PHOTOS

scout88305

SPONSOR
Northern Minnesota
Though rare, here is a near death experience for a camper.

I leave for AK on July 16th for several weeks and have practiced with my weapon a total of 100 rounds. Though practicing may not help that much when the emergency arises, I at least have tried to prepare. If the photos are upsetting to some I will remove them or encourage the staff to do so. I mean no disrespect posting these pics just want people to realize how fragile we really are.
Bear conflict is a very real threat and being prepared as pilots during camping and recreation should be in our minds. Camping etiquette and respecting animals space are commonsense but no guarentee.

-----Polar Bear Attack in the High Arctic
This is from up in the Yukon, this chap is lucky to be alive. The guy
survived the bear attack. The bear jumped on him while he was sleeping
in his tent and he managed to get it off of him and shoot it .
On e toug h camper!

image003.jpg

bear1.jpg

GunDamage.jpg

image004.jpg

image006.jpg

bear attack

I lost two really good friends to a bear attack on the Hula Hula river. They did everything right but lost their lives anyway. I always sleep with a 44 mag by my sleeping bag. Hard to handle a rifle in a tent. The pictures aren't bad. I've see some worse. There are pictures of what was left of a hiker in Glacier Bay that showed only his leather hiking boots with bones sticking out. The bear didn't like his boots. Also there was a book about hiking there saying that there had never been a bear attack there. It had a bitemark through it.

These are nice shots to show my wife before we leave on our trip to the Tikchiks camping. I just received my electric fence kit from Alpacarafts.com and will be augmenting my security to include some electricity.

Other things that I do is set an audible trip wire system with jogger alarms. This has been very effective for alerting us when bears are trying to steal our game meat on a hunt. We also use multiple pocket strobe lights set about the camp.

One other handy tool is granulated chlorine. You can get it at the Spa supply store. It's easy to mix it with water and make your own chlorox for deodorizing the camp. I splash it around the outside of the tent and will put a small bowl of it inside the vestibule of the tent.

Additionally, we wipe areas like struts of the cub, floor boards and baggage area to give the cub that nice public pool scent. I also on occasion will use a very light solution wipe on the bushwheels if we are operating out of the low bush blueberry patch. The tires get coated with blueberry juice. They become one big bagel for the bear to munch on.

Final note on chlorine granules is make sure it doesn't find it's way near any food. Someone tossed the spoon used as the chlorine scoop in with the sandwich stuff. Not the best way to clean out your insides.

Take Care

Jerry

I noticed that the photo of the foot and leg is labeled "Gun Damage".
Did this guy shoot himself during the attack?

I'm thinking so on the gun damage. I tried to do an inquiry on this incident looking at news archives up in canada. No luck as of yet. The far north is a big place.

The ankle damage photo has previously been circulated around police and weapons instructor circles as resulting from an accident involving a shotgun and a fence crossing. The stray pellets are visible.
It is not related to the bear attack.

That's par.

Makes one wonder if any of it is legitimate.

Like the Kodiak brown bear shot by some airforce guy.

I seen these photos a while back and an article with it.
It was a bear attack, and in the struggle the man shot himself thru the ankle, but also killed the bear. That's what I read! Can't say for sure cause I wasn't there.
Fence accident? That's a good one.

Back