• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Popping backfire.....?

Scruffdog

WOODLAND, CA
One day my 150 idles smooth and quiet. The next day, for no apparent reason, it is backfiring and sitting at idle with a pop, pop, pop.....when it is run up it's fine and in the air, no problem. Then after it has run for a while, it doesn't do it either at idle. Any thoughts? :-?

One of your plug wires could be breaking down, that happened to me last year.
Tim

Could be sticking valves. Might try 16oz Marvel Mistry Oil in each tank and crank case.

After the first 100 hours on my C-180 with only 130 hours TT since rebuild, three cylinders checked out in the low 40's. Three hours on the above diet and they were all back in the mid to upper 60's. 100LL is a very "dry" fuel. Made a beliver out of me and my wallet ($10K to top an IO-520 vs $13.00 at WalMart for MM oil). Crash

Thanks for all the responses. Found a blown exhaust gasket on the right side. Fixed that; fixed the problem! :D :angel:

By letting cooler dense air mix with expanded hot gases with enough fuel available (like cool dust) to reignite on the next cycle

When the engine is at or just above idle, cold air (oxygen) can enter the exhaust system and cause any unspent fuel to burn at the area where the exhaust is leaking. Thus causing a backfire. Also small intake leeks can cause irregular fire because of improper fuel/air mixtures. Once the engine is running at high RPM, the area of the leak is bypassed due to the amount of air mass at higher pawer settings.
I have also seen the same thing on a car equipped with headers. So, when checking for backfire, check both your exhaust and intake systems for leaks before digging to far into your engine.

Back