• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

question about rubber oil pressure line?

teeweed

GONE WEST
Hempstead, Texas
I am replacing my pressure oil line on my A2B2 150 Lycoming. The oil line has developed a small leak and keeps dripping. My question is, do most of your rubber pressure line's u-turn sharply to connect to the hard copper line? My line does. I am worried about the new line kinking and closing shut. I bent the new line in my hand and could still blow air through it, how ever, if I curved it like the old one I could feel a restriction in air flow. I know the line takes alot of pressure but I thought I would ask. I can always add to and re-route my copper hard line to take some of the curve out of the rubber line, but thought I would check and see if I am being worried over nothing. Thanks Mark

Tee:

I guess I could have been more helpful than critical. Sorry.

Bear in mind that oil *pressure* lines are just that - lines that carry pressurized oil to the gauge. There's no oil flowing through them. Even the tiniest (tinyest? neither looks right) passage is sufficient. In fact, less is better, in case something breaks. A dripping leak is *much* better than a gusher when you're three hours away from home, over the rocks (or glaciers, or trees, or water).

As long as the line is somewhat open, you should be fine.

My disclaimer is that I'm *not* an A and/or P so my opinions may not matter at all.

Jon B.

No problem..I'll take any info. or information, wise cracks or insults. All of it is worth reading. I might, however, run to my room and hold my head in my hands, sway side to side for hours thinking no one cares, no one loves me...... Ok where was I..... Hard to explain on line but, after taking the line off I was able to see why the original line was leaking. ..the male end that threads into the engine also has small fine male threads that thread back into the rubber hose. I tighten the small threads back up into the rubber hose and the leak stopped. The hose was somewhere around $90.00 with shipping. I think I need one for my project or I would return it. Mark (teeweed)

If it is the stock Piper oil pressure hose hose from Univair the hose can be replaced on the fittings. They use Mil5593 or Parker 193.

Steve Pierce said:
If it is the stock Piper oil pressure hose hose from Univair the hose can be replaced on the fittings. They use Mil6000 if memory serves me correctly.

Just make sure you use the proper hose compatible with aircraft oil. Not all are.
Once many years ago, I replaced that hose with the wrong type hose.
One morning I was suppose to fly to a place and pick a guy up at daylight.
It would have entailed a 1 hr flight in the dark to get there. For some reason it was cancelled at the last second. Later that morning, I did another flight, and the hose broke after half hour, spewwing oil all over the aircraft before I caught on what was going on. Had I taken the first flight, I would have lost oil pressure half way thru the flight in the dark.
Not a good Scenerio.

I believe the hose you are talking about has a reducer built into it for the oil pressure gauge and is a special certified part (has a little metal tag on it) only available from Univair. It seemed really expensive the last time I bought one. Crash

That is the one Crash.

Brian, The hose that came from Univair was Mil5593 or Parker 193 with their special ends so I just replaced the hose part since it was weather checked. I have seen people soldered up an AN fitting and then drilled a hole for a restrictor and use a stratoflex line.

the restrictor fitting can be bought from wag-aero or wicks or aircraft spruce for about $8. if its what your looking for. doug

U71061-000 I replace mine every 5 years.

oil_pressure_line.sized.jpg

Kase, Do you replace the whole hose or just the rubber? If you have any old ones lying around I will buy them.

I had to replace the Univair oil pressure restrictor hose on my Super Cub last fall and took some pictures of how I replaced the hose on the existing fittings and made the hose longer to hopefully eliminate the propensity of the hose to weather check and crack. Details in this photo album. https://photos.app.goo.gl/jg4C2U8qKbQtgfHAA Hope this can help someone else and enlighten people to inspect this hose. Ferried an airplane to a customer only to get there with a nice stream of oil down the side of the airplane because this rubber hose cracked and leaked.

Back