• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

1st summer '06 trip to Alaska

Jerry Gaston

Bozeman, Montana
Many of you won't be interested in this thread because it is old hat but some may want to know what I encountered while flying to and from Alaska in both a cub on straight floats and then on big tires.
I have some pictures that I will be posting and some more info as my mind clears up from the flight.
In summary:
On straight floats it took 25.5 hours on the tac
On big wheels it took 24.1 hours
Route was approximately the same only west on floats and east on wheels
Customs was a joke with the US customs only concerned with selling me a sticker for 25$ and Canada customs only worried about when quitting time was. No transponder was ever used and at one time the only flight plan used was a call by my sat phone to the actual station for permission to land next to their station and walk up to visit and purchase a sticker.
A good thing to note is that the SPA Airport directory probably hasn't been up dated in several years so don't rely upon any of the info when in the remote places such as Northern USA or Canada or Alaska. It seems that all they care about is getting your membership dues. Case in point: the most important entry point into Alaska from the interior of Canada is Northway with Yarger Lake as the approve point of entry for planes on floats. Try to find that info in your SPA directory.

I'm convinced that no cub pilot should fly between the Lower 48 and Alaska without a belly tank, a Sat Phone and an Auto gas STC. :lol:

More later got to run and get my photos processed

Jerry,

Glad you made it back! Sounds like a great trip. Can't wait to see the pictures.

sj

We are leaving the middle of next week to fly our Cub out to the Fly-in at Snohomish, WA. Then we plan to fly the trench up to Watson Lake (and eventually to Anchorage and the peninsula to spend July 4th with some friends). We are interested in any info you can give us about the availability of fuel when traveling the trench...and any other suggestions you might give us if you are experienced trench fliers. We have flown from Alberta up to Ft. St. John, Nelson, etc several times, but this will be our first time up the trench.

Probably gonna see Torch in the smoke pics soon. Jerry, that fire is getting bigger every day. Luckily the smoke has stayed out west of Fairbanks. I am probably headed to Schute Lake again tonight. I need to catch some trout. This time I will wait til late in the evening when it has had a chance to cool down some. 36E is sitting just like you left her.

Torch Hope you save some of those fish for when I return in July. I got my photos back and am mailing you a disk of the pictures. If i knew how to get them posted on this web site I would publish...any hints??

Flying D's If you go by way of the trench you can stop at Ft Ware and get auto gas at the store approximately 100 yd off the end of the runway that is all I could find in the trench that would be relieable.

Jerry - call me and I will walk you through the photo upload process if that will help.

Well my trip to Fairbanks was a success. I had good weather and a great fishing guide. Who could ask for more. The facilities at Fairbanks for float planes is top notch. Easy fueling facilities a nice pilot briefing room and lots of avaiable trailers for plane removal.
Best of all the guide services were the best. It was only a few seconds after landing at that secret lake that I was catching trout on a fly rod. Don sure knows how to pick the lakes. Thats why I say if you have a friend in Alaska take care of him it could be the best thing you'll ever need. :D
[/img]

Jerry

Jerry,

Glad you had a great trip. That was an interesting combination of back-to-back floats and wheels journeys.

We launch tomorrow morning on a circuitous route from Virginia to the Kenai Peninsula.

Bob Breeden

www.AlaskaAirpark.com

Good luck Bob and if your coming by here don't forget to stop in and rest a while. What will you be flying??

Back