Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Loose Screws

Post Thanks / Like

Loose Screws

The number 4 screws that hold the boot cowl to the Piper U channel are stripping out. [surprise, surprise] Has anyone found a good fix for this short of drilling a new hole? I want to keep the #4 screws, but the small size of the U channel make it hard to find a nut that will work.

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't this where the Cub Doctor would say "6-32 rivnuts are your friend" ?

Post Thanks / Like
    If its not wore out to bad I put a dab of clear silicon on the screw to hold it in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Or Locktite, they make it in a paste now that comes in a lipstick type tube. It's a good thing to keep in the tool box.

Post Thanks / Like

loose screws

I've been waiting for someone to ask this question to pick up on new ideas ,so thanks . My best solution to keep the cosmetic value of the smaller screws is to replace them by doing the following. Cut a small sliver of neoprene hose that will fit into the screw hole .It should be small enough that being held in place , the screw can be started into the hole .As the screw grabs the sliver and also the side of the hole {metal}turn it in a few turns and stop. Then take an exacto knife and carfully cut the sliver down along the screw shaft so the screw can be sunk against the metal surface. The screw will hold with remarkable strength where there is no real srtuctural need other than holding a panel or such where other screws takeup some of the load .It will not back out because the sticky nature of the hose material will hold it firm .Been doing it for years and its the best I've found ....RC

Post Thanks / Like
    Or just cut a small piece of metal with #4-size hole, and glue it in the channel with Pliobond. When next you recover, do them all with rivnuts or nutplates, and use machine screws.

Post Thanks / Like
    I install two lug anchor nuts like MK-1000's in the 3/8" boot cowl channels.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...anchornuts.php

They are fastened with 120 degree counter sunk pop rivets like MSC-32

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...erryqrivet.php

Makes a very sanitary set up for the boot cowl and false boot cowl stainless steel "machine" screws. They don't fall out or strip out and actually tighten down and hold something. I use nut plates every where I can.

Take care! Crash