• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Goodyears on a J3

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
Anybody know if there exists and STC (or a 337 copy) to install 26" Goodyears on a J3?

Thanks!

sj

Steve, I got them field approved on a PA11 a few months ago. I can send you a copy of the 337 if you think it will help.

Well, it might. This plane is a J3 with an O200 and wing tank, darn near a PA-11.

Thanks!

sj

A friend of mine has a J-3, O-200 and wing tanks and just had 26" Goodyears installed. He's out of town until next week, but I'll ask him about the paperwork when he gets back.

-Bob

Sam, how much taller and heavier are 26" Goodyears than 8.50's? I'm running 8.00's on my 90 horse J-3 now, been looking at upgrades. Bill

Wonder if the 2 puck cleveland brakes are required or will the single puck brakes do. I have heard that the 26" Goodyears are not that much bigger than the 8.50's, but I am no expert. I need the paperwork too. :p

Well, looks like my friend just had the 26" GYs put on and is running them without paperwork. Probably not the most "legal" thing to do, but from what I hear lots of folks are doing it. Sorry 'bout the no paperwork to help you out, tho.

-Bob

I made the mistake a few years ago to put the 26" Goodyears on my T-craft. I don't think it is worth the extra weight. You just don't gain much in height or footprint over 8.50's. Side walls are really stiff for a light plane too. If I had to do it again I would stay with 8.50's if I couldn't cough up the dough for 26" Bushwheels, which would be the best bet for that class of plane. All that said, single puck Clevelands will be plenty good. What is the price difference between a nicely worn (lighter) pair of 8.50s compared to $700 for the Goodyears?

Goodyears

I also tried them on my T-Craft. The problem is that you have to put at least ten pounds of air in them or they will spin on the rim. I have heard of people puting screws through the rim into the bead to prevent this.
Pumped up to ten or twelve pounds they are just to stiff. I went back to my 8.50's.

Wade

Here are some side by side comparisons of poor mans tundra tires. From left to right:
GoodYear 25x11x4/GarAeros 8.50x10 McCreary/ AntiqueTire Co.??x6/GoodYear 8.50x6/McCreary 8.50x6(no air)
For what it's worth.
Paul
Fairbanks, AK

106_0617_copy.jpg

106_0620_copy.jpg

Need to re-light a threat. Does anyone have a 337 for 26inch goodyears on a J3C-65 or similar? We've got double puck Cleveland brakes and a C85 engine.

-Jake
:roll:

Need to re-light a threat. Does anyone have a 337 for 26inch goodyears on a J3C-65 or similar? We've got double puck Cleveland brakes and a C85 engine.

-Jake
:roll:

Buy Doutens stc for 25" GYs on a J3/11for $50 and no one will know the difference.

Glenn

Get a field approval and use the fact that 26" and 29" Airstreaks are STC'd for it. The Airstreak is a lighter, better tire.
20141206_163612.jpg

Attachments

• 20141206_163612.jpg
    20141206_163612.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 770
Field approval is the way I was going to go. I'm looking for someone who has already done it so I can use that in the 337. Thanks Steve, would love to do the Airstreaks by they are a bit pricy. Unless someone has a set laying are they wanted to sell.

-Jake

Sam, how much taller and heavier are 26" Goodyears than 8.50's? I'm running 8.00's on my 90 horse J-3 now, been looking at upgrades. Bill

They're not immensely bigger, I guess not a true 26" OD, but they are noticeably bigger than 850's. Probably about the same as the difference between 800's & 850's.

Field approval is the way I was going to go. I'm looking for someone who has already done it so I can use that in the 337. Thanks Steve, would love to do the Airstreaks by they are a bit pricy. Unless someone has a set laying are they wanted to sell.

-Jake

The initial cost might be lower with the GY, but after you shear the valve stem, or bend something because the tires have no flex you will find the cost the other way around.

I have found myself left on a strip with a flat tire due to tire slip shearing the valve stem. Not good nor pretty.

By the Airstreaks!

I just sold my set of 26" Airstreaks after upgrading to 29's. The fact that they are STC'd, have soft sidewalks appropriate for LSA's and won't shear a valve at 5psi are major selling points. I know you're looking in a different direction, but the shortcomings and paperwork hassles of the GYs tip the scales in favor of Airstreaks in my view. Besides, Airstreaks at low psi on a dirt or grass strip are indescribably fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The initial cost might be lower with the GY, but after you shear the valve stem, or bend something because the tires have no flex you will find the cost the other way around.

I have found myself left on a strip with a flat tire due to tire slip shearing the valve stem. Not good nor pretty.

By the Airstreaks!

X2 Buy the Airstreaks.

I've got the stc for the 25x11x4 tires and they have a stiff sidewall and I have landed then flown home with a flat tire on my 11, a j-3 should be lighter than my porker 11 so other than the expense of fixing the tube you should be safe unless the sidewalls of the 26 inch tires are not as stiff as the 25 inch tires. should be able to get a field approval off the 25 inch stc. Douten

So I got the Airstreaks, they look great. Now we are in that gray area of is the stock J3 landing gear appropriate? The STC states . Must have PA-18 type gear or other Heavy Duty Type gear installed under separate approval.

The late model J3 and Super Cub gear is the same. 3/8" attach bolts are the J3 higher gross weight gear.

Later J-3s had PA-18 type gear. My 1946 came with gear that looks almost identical to the PA-18-95. The brake flange is slightly different.

Back