Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Information needed - Exhoust gaskets for C-75/85 engine..,.

Post Thanks / Like

Information needed - Exhoust gaskets for C-75/85 engine..,.

This is a call for information,
    I ordered new exhaust gaskets from univair. The catalog said I needed two per port so that's what I ordered. On receipt they are just thin stainless steel parts with a channel near the inside edge. The catalog called them "blo-proof". The old gaskets were similar but with asbestus (or something similar) inbetween the ss parts. Can someone tell me if something is missing from the new ones? How should the new ones be used? Thanks in advance, ...Clyde

Post Thanks / Like
    On the Continentals you sandwich two so a bead forms on the outside, slide them on and use brass nuts on the studs.

The third gasket, the one you didn't mention, is my favorite. I can't remember the name of it but it sure does seal up nicely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks James, That's what I did this afternoon. I also put a thin coat of hi-temp form-a-gasket on them. The engine run-up afterwards showed no signs of leakage.The reason I had to drop the exhaust down was to clean the oil screen. On my J-3 you can't get to the oil screen without doing that. I am getting it ready for the Snohomish flyin next month. ...Clyde

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a cautionary note....but I don't know of any high temp form a gasket that can survive 1500*F

Post Thanks / Like
    delete

citabrickr
    You want to use the spiral wrap gaskets, those thin things are junk. Spirals are reusable too

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks folks. The catalog was a little misleading, after I ordered the ones I received, I saw another part number describing the spiral wound ones. In any event I have installed the cheep ones (the price was not a consideration) and I'll use them until the next time I have to clean the oil screen. I hope these will last until then. My IA seems to think these will be OK until then. Thanks for your replies. ...Clyde

Post Thanks / Like
    delete

Post Thanks / Like
    Clyde, I've been using the gaskets you described(2 thin stainless) for 10 years, different than the old but they work. Next time, you don't need the sealer for them to work. Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    In the olden days, the stainless stacks were topped with a skinny carbon steel flange. Turned into a banana shape after a while. I got stainless flanges welded on - twice as thick, and the rear ones are longer. Don't have to drop the muffler to check the screen. The old copper/asbestos gaskets worked fine, and could be safely (if not legally) re-used. I now use the one-piece steel gaskets with the circular insert; they never seem to leak, and last forever! Four of them have lasted me through three engines! No leaks!