• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Any good biplanes for sale?

Stearman enthusiasts are like dealing with Super Cub enthusiasts..... simply nothing else compares to them. Now although I feel that way about Cubs, I don't share that view about Stearmans. There are a lot of better biplanes out there to be had....IMHO.

I had a friend with a Kinner Bird and a Kinner Fleet. He still has his OX5 Command Aire at the Bi Plane Museum. I understand the Fleet is a real sweet flyer although I never got the chance to fly it.

Have my WACO UKC-S for sale but based in Germany it might be of minor interest for you.
Had a Great Lakes and WACO UPF-7 before and flew several Stearmans and Stampes. If you love to fly, take a Great Lakes or Stampe, if you want to attract people or do pleasure flights for money, take a UPF-7. If you want to ride a bathtub, take a Stearman. I think a Stearman compared to a Great Lakes/WACO is like a PA-18 to a C-172.

I have a friend with a Tiger Moth. He has had it for about 30 years but I guess its going to have to go to make room for the Staggerwing he is finishing up. I think he said 40k. It isn't a show plane but sure flys nice.

bob turner said:
Stearman is loads of fun, and is about as easy to land as a Cub. Great Lakes is easier to land; a little like the Aeronca.

You've got to be kidding! A Stearman is MUCH easier to land that a GL! At least you can SEE where you are landing and not risk hitting the trees while doing so! Can't say that about a GL with its terrible visibility!

If anyone is thinking about a GL over a Stearman, I suggest you try both SIDE BY SIDE. Fly the GL at Vansant (9N1), then fly the Stearman, or vice versa. Don't take my word for it. See for yourself.

jnorris We have a Antonov here on the field with a sign in the window "For sale or Trade for a Super Cub"
Has a 1000 hp 4 blade prop with a fuel consumption of 35 gas/hr.
Call me if your interested.

There is a Gypsy Moth here in Anch. I have seen it only a few times. It is very pampered and in mint condition.
Pete

Steve Pierce said:
I had a friend with a Kinner Bird and a Kinner Fleet. He still has his OX5 Command Aire at the Bi Plane Museum. I understand the Fleet is a real sweet flyer although I never got the chance to fly it.

I love my Fleet 16B 125 Kinner B5R.... Yup, real sweety!

normal_DSC_2895.jpg

My Dad will be ticked if he sees that I have his airplane for sale. Gotta make some money for a Super Cub, ya know.

You've got to be kidding! A Stearman is MUCH easier to land that a GL! At least you can SEE where you are landing and not risk hitting the trees while doing so! Can't say that about a GL with its terrible visibility!

You're crazy! The Great Lakes is the easiest taildragger to land out there. It's not any fun if you can see out in front of the airplane! You Super Cub pilots get spoiled.

Thomas

Great looking Hatz, Tom.

Here is another one. Warner engine up front.

warnerhatz.jpg

Hatz builders will gather at the Brodhead airport in WI the weekend prior to Oshkosh.

Thats the airplane you need Joe.

Bill

tgarrison said:
Bill,

That Hatz looks great with the round engine. I bet it's a blast to fly.

Thomas

It also looks as though it needs Mark's Thrustline kit...

My bro is soon to be finished with a Stearman but it won't be for sale. Not that you wanted one... I've asked to be his third passenger, after mom & pop. Mom is 79, dad is 80 and they're really excited about it.

Jon B.

I have a buddy who is looking at a Stearman - stock, mid-time engine, grade A done in the eighties. Eighty grand. I told him to skip it unless he wants lots of dope/fabric experience. Did I give him good advice?

I would say yes you did. One was just bought here for $75K with fabric done in the early 90s. Engine had 400 hrs. SMOH. Pretty clean airplane.

A real cherry Tiger Moth is up for-sale here. Camo paint, and was in the mover"The Great Waldo Pepper." Asking $83,000.

nkh

Back