• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Found Bush Hawk

Cubus Maximus (which sounds like the muscle that hurts after too many hours in a super cub) used to have a bunch of bright red found pictures in his gallery on line I believe, or maybe he emailed them. Anyway, they have been playing around with one up in Minnesota. Some other folks have posted about them on the site, you might do a search...

sj

wingnut18

go to www.foundair.com for all the details. I had several opportunities to fly the aircraft on wheels and Aerocet straight floats. In my opinion, this is a mission designed workhorse. As the forward structure is built of tubular design, (vs. moncoque) it has extremely strong and long lasting characteristic. The first Founds where built over 40 years ago and still in service. Most on floats and skis in Canada. The new Found Bush Hawk has been upgraded, 300hp Lyc., 100 gal fuel, increased gross weight, etc.

Serious commercial operators are replacing 185, 206 and Beavers with Founds. Zacherbay Lodge on Kodiak has 2, Alpine Aviation, Whitehorse, Yukon as 1, Office for Aircraft Services, ANC, AK has 4 +, 1 operates out of Sitka (orange on Aerosat amphibs), etc.

This is the ultimate SUV of the sky! A Super Cub on steroids. 4 huge doors, flat floor, cantilevered wing (no wing struts), easy to load, carries 5, can be converted to freight hauling in minutes, flys fast, (relative) ......gee I sound like their salesman.

If I could afford, I'd buy one before I get a 185 or a 206.

The Bushhawk is a great plane, well built, and bridges the need between some extra size door/cabin space over a 185, and the rugged design of a beaver. The engine is a flat deck, and much easier to get parts for.

Gert at Alpine (I think) in Whitehorse uses one. Floats and skis it is fabulous! that plane did not even feel bumps in the snow that the champ would come apart in.

I got to fly one about six years ago on it's way to Gulkana. It was built like a tank, handled like an early 180.

Unfortunatly the earlier ones, (of the newer breed) came out of the sky at 45mph. I mean they stalled and fell.

At the time myself and another were flying early 180's, and spent way too much time on beaches. We were commonly approaching at 45 over the fence. Our planes would come off the ground at 40, clime steep at 60, and hold a steep turn doing it.

Most would not need that from a found, so it would be great. We had the need for short field wheel work, so passed on it.

VG's have been installed, and helped. The plane is heavy in comparison, so don't get it stuck. Unless you are very much flying a 180/185 on the edge with wheels, the Found is a better plane.

I don't know if I should respond to this - having been highly offended by SJ's rude comments about the stupid handle I have been somehow stuck with. :-?

Oh okay...

Lots of Found pictures here:

http://pix.tckid.net/gallery2/v/BradT/?g2_page=3

My experience with the airplane is that it flies very nicely, but on Aerocet amphib floats, lighter is way better! At gross you want a lot of lake in front of you. (the one I fly occasionaly has a 300 hp IO-540.) One trip out of Red Lake was a bit eye opening. We keep playing with it, trying to find that flap/trim config and technique combination that will let it get out of the water easier when heavy. So far, full flaps at takeoff are proving easier than 20 deg. Also, we are seeing 115 kts with the floats and it's maddening to have the 206's we fly with walk away from it smirking. :bad-words: The aerocets are very good though on rough gravel and grass strips. They have excellent dampening.

But other than that I can't say anything bad about the airplane. I LOVE the easy in and out doors and the visibility is FANTASTIC. The airplane is built like a tank and has a HUGE cargo area. On wheels and hydraulic skis it gets off very quickly (even loaded - so it may be a float issue) and is easy to get in short as well. I've never experienced a better landing gear. The design is perfect.

It always starts fast, even when hot and turns over like a turbine (24 volt system - shower of sparks). It's also as fast as advertised on wheels (but not on floats). All in all, as I become more familiar with it, I'd live with some of the float shortcomings and take it over a 185/180.

Brad

CM...."one I fly occasionaly has a 300 hp IO-540"

What does it have when it doesn't occasionally have the 300hp IO-540?

Crash said:
Makes for some intresting reading. I would have rather been in a C-185 on this take off. Crash

Thanks for posting the link to the SPA forum, Crash. That entire thread was very interesting reading to say the least. If anything, it really points out the mission specific nature of all these different airplanes, and the fact that not one of them isn't without it's own little set of quirks.

The earlier versions of the "NEW" Found had 260 hp. Since this accident was in 2003, I don't know if that airplane had the 300 or 260 hp engine.

Quirk wise, I really haven't found (pun unintended but I like it anyway) the stall to be nasty at all. It's a typical slight wing drop in an acclerated or power on stall and just mushes down wings level when slowly pulling the power off and pulling the yoke back.

I like the thing better the more I fly it.

Brad

thanks Crash for referring to that forum. Interesting reading indeed.

Maybe interesting to note, that VG's and swept wing tip extensions are now an approved installation in the all new Found Bush Hawk XP, FDA-2C2. Also a larger and improved oilcooler is available as retrofit to earlier models, standart on new Founds. Issues seem to be listen to and addressed accordingly.

The following is a press release by Found:

PARRY SOUND, ONTARIO - November 10, 2005 - Found Aircraft announced today that it will offer swept wingtip extensions and vortex generators as an option on the Bush Hawk-XP starting in 2006.

This option involves several key modifications to the aircraft’s wing which improves the Bush Hawk’s already impressive slow speed handling characteristics. 72 vortex generators are strategically located along the full span (approx. 85% coverage) of the leading edge of the wing. The new swept wingtips increase the wingspan by a full two feet to 38 feet, a 5% increase, and increase the wing area by four square feet to 184 square feet, a 2% increase. This option combines the best available technology from the vortex generators and the wingtip extensions to improve slow speed handling, stability, and performance.

The Bush Hawk's floatplane models will enjoy the added benefit of parts reduction. Floatplane's equipped with the full VGs and swept wingtips will not require the ventral fin. This reduces both docking hassle and the chance of airframe damage while docking.

These two modications to the aircraft will be sold as a package and will be available on Found Aircraft's option list in early 2006 for all Bush Hawk models.

wingnut18 said:
Anyone have any experience or opnions on the Bush Hawk? The Bush Hawk is a neat looking aircraft, four big observer doors, and a huge cabin. It looks like the ultimate mid size utility aircraft. There is a dealer in Idaho, other than that, I don't see any around. How does a Hawk compare to a 185 in the short feild area? What is the quality of construction? If Cessna made a new 185, I am shure the price would be similar to the Hawk.
More info. at:
http://www.alaskabushhawk.com/

I have flown the Bush Hawk-XP recently with the new wingtips and the VGs. INCREDIBLE!!! It is very stable at slow speeds. Email or call Gerd in Whitehorse, he'll let you know what a dramatic difference this option makes. Lots more climb and lower rotation speeds (especially off the water).

Float take-off requires some technique. It actually does better with some forward pressure on the stick during the take-off run. Takes some getting used to, but makes a difference. As for the Bahamas crash, read that thread again with this in mind. The guy pulled up his flaps at the end (he says so towards the end). The Bush Hawk has folwer flaps (high lift), not plain flaps (high drag). The Bahamas pilot basically eliminated his lift (natural reaction from a high time Maule pilot used to plain flaps). With his lift gone, he did a lovely pancake on an island and ripped the floats off. Its interesting to note that no one was injured (that big steal frame).

Regardless, it does a job, its just up to you whether its the job you want done!

Back