Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: At what age do you belt a child in the backseat- alone ?

Post Thanks / Like

At what age do you belt a child in the backseat- alone ?

I would guess that there are many different thoughts on this but I am interested to hear yours. Thanks-

Post Thanks / Like
    Some of the new carseats work great and allow bringing them along when they are quite young. I started putting them in the back of my PA-12 as soon as I had it. I had 3, 5 and 9 year olds at the same time. Make sure they are old enough to understand that they will not undo the seat belt. On an interesting note, one of the little guys reached up and verrrry slooooowly pulled the throttle back. Dad had only a slight panic attack trying to inveswtigate the loss of power. Hmmmm dang throttle must've vibrated back.... When it happened a second time, I figured it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    My daughter started riding along at age 3 months in the car seat (facing backwards). At that age, I was always very careful to make a slow descent so her ears wouldn't have problems. She's 20 months now and LOVES to go up and down as fast as possible - can't get enough of the zero g's. I just took her out of the car seat and have a seat lift that she is on with the 5 point harness fitting her perfectly (read: snug and restrictive and can't wiggle out). She will wear the headset and has enough hours at this point to get her private, so knows to pull the microphone up toward her mouth to talk. I am comfortable with her in the back in the 5 point harness for local flights, but at this age, I would put her in the car seat for anything out of the local area. I have done about 1.5 - 2 hour flights with her in the back seat around nap time. For true cross country flights though, the spam can with mom along is a necessity. If I didn't have the 5 point harness which she can't release - at this point anyway - I would not put her in the back seat except in the car seat. It would not be comfortable to have a young child in the back alone in a restraint they can get out of. I don't need one of those terrible two's tantrums on the floor up against the rear stick.
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Lee is 2 1/2. I used to put him in a car seat but now just a booster cushion and seat belt with shoulder harness. He likes to follow me with the stick but never messes with the seat belt. He goes into his own little world when flying. He is quiet and still which is quite the opposite when on the ground. He used to take the headset off but now it is cool to wear.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Hanna was 3 and Viktor 2 1/2. I removed the rear stick, put in a cushion and added a fifth belt (shoulder harnesses are standard here) to prevent them from sliding down on the floor.

But what I discovered to be most important was to mount a rear view mirror (high up, just at the fwd spar cross member). That way we could easily establish eye contact and it made communication so much easier.

/Mattias

Post Thanks / Like
    At what age do you belt a chid in the back seat?
    I used to belt mine any time they acted up. Crash

Post Thanks / Like
    I took my little girl up today for her second 12 ride. She's 2 1/3 years and loves airplanes. She gets the car seat with the built in 5 pointer.

Sekps, good idea with the rearview mirror. Arianna hears well with the headset but hasn't mastered the mic yet, she's a quiet talker.

Her first ride was when she was still in diapers. Did a couple of zero G drops, did a post flight diaper check, all was good. Now she asks to fly whenever she hears or sees a plane.
    "Always looking up"

Post Thanks / Like
    My youngest son was 2 weeks old when we made a flight from Oregon to Minn. and back. Do not remember how old the oldest was for first flight. Am into grandkids now, and you do have to watch them. Had the 3 year old grandson in the Pacer and he reached up and pulled the RED handled knob on final. I did notice his action out of the corner of my eye and the mixture was back in before the engine noise went away. The oldest granddaughter, when she was about six, thought that straight and level flight for more than 5 minutes was booorrreing. The youngest granddaughter has a song she sings every time we go up. Can't get her to sing it on the ground, she says "No that is my flying song". Kids are a lot of fun in the air.

Post Thanks / Like
    My rule has been to allow my kids to go up without mom holding them when two things happen:

1. They learn not to unbuckle the belt, or to play with it.
    2. They fully understand the meaning of the word NO.

For my first two this ended up being around 2 1/2 for both. We'll see for the third, he's only 3 months. Took his first ride in a go-fast over the weekend to visit his ailing great-grandfather for the first time.