• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

shooting photos from a Cub

JMBreitinger

Minneapolis, MN
I am all excited about my new digital SLR camera. When you shoot from your airplane, do you open a window or shoot through the glass? Can you open the window while in flight or only on the ground?

For best results, I shoot through the left side sliding window on my PA-12. You can also shoot through the glass, but I find that the windshield curves will confuse the auto-focus on my DSLR.

I have the seaplane door, so I'm hesitant to open it in flight as it's hard to close during flight.

I have opened the cub up in flight. I hang onto the lower door and ease it down and then the upper door justs float up and then I latch it. I like flying with the upper door open. If you carry a passenger it can be windy and cold, so keep that in mind.

JM, open up the doors or shoot through an open window on the left. I've done lots of both and shooting through the plexi windows will make for a lousier picture.

Yes you can open and close the doors in flight.

Brad

I have the Wolf windows on both sides. So I can lock both up just like the upper door window.
Since I am usually in back instructing, I will tell you that it can really get cold back there. With both windows open it really, really, gets cool.

The person in front does not notice since they are behind the windshield.

My digital cameras sometimes try to auto fucus on the plexiglass, So I ALWAYS shoot through an open window to avoid wasting shots.

I found that it does take more runway (or lake) to take off with the windows open.

Heavy slips with both sides open tends to blow charts right out one of them.

I use both sides of the plane depending on what shot I am taking, but never through the window if you want a clear picture. While flying overhead, shooting down through the open door at the target below works great.

I took all of these air to air shots from the Supercub, always with the window open. I never fly and photo at the same time though, too dangerous when in close formation.

http://www.twoplaneguys.com/grassroots1.htm

-Low

Thanks. On my way to bed last night, I also found an article on aviation photography in the new AOPA Pilot magazine.

My doors mysteriously disappear in the summer. For extended maintenance, mind you.

It does get a bit breezy, but hey, it's summer.

You can go slow slow anyway that air photo shoots are a good deal of fun with excellent results...

JP (via Flyin' Miss Daisy's computer on a gorgeous morning in MA)

John, I found the best combination for air-to-air shots several years ago when I was shooting helicopters for advertising. Fly the airplane from the back seat, and put the photographer in the front with the door open. Shoot back through the right-rear quadrant. This gives you the best clearance from wings, struts, and the propeller. You can put the plane in a left-wing-down skid to get the trailing edge out of the way. Keep in mind that eventually the header tank will run dry after a prolonged skid, with less than a full tank.
:eek:

John:

The most important thing about air-to-air photography is safety! Window open or closed try to get someone else to fly if you want to photograph another airplane! Like Ron said the photographer in the front seat is better from a Cub.

Richh

John, I had an interesting experience when renewing the insurance for my supercub....

I flew it up to Park Rapids, to the Fall Colors Fish Feed, and took some pics with my digital camera. Upon landing the local newspaper wanted to know if they could use an image, and I agreed. Later, MN Flyer magazine asked for a photo, and I emailed them one...later published in the December issue, with my name as photographer (see where this is going?). In the same issue they had an article by a professional photographer on taking photos from an airplane.

In Jan I received a phone call from the insurance company asking me if I am a professional photographer, and if I am the would rider my policy or significantly increase the premium!!!! I wanted to know why they would ask that and apparently they saw the photo in MN Flyer.

just fyi...I am not a professional photographer :roll:

I always shoot with the window open if able. Try not to get the camera or the lens in the slip stream as it will make the picture fuzzy from the buffeting. For air to air I zoom in just a hair to get the wing from my plane out of the picture.

Back