• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

How do you license this one?

CptKelly

GONE WEST
NC
There is a experimental plane for sale on Barnstormers. It appears about 75% complete, mostly, all except the cover and assembly. If this plane is sold, how would one get a registration and airworthiness certificate under the amateur built 51% rule?

Mike

Most experimental projects are 90% complete/ 90%to go.

I am not sure if i completely understand your question but as long as the airplane builder provides 51% of the effort, then he is good to go. It is an aggregate of builders, not just you or the original builder.

For that matter I bought a experimental years ago that I didn't lift a finger to build, it still qualifies as a experimental, someone qualified as builder under the 51% rule. Personally I would never fly a airplane that I built! :crazyeyes:

The plane will be licensed as experimental with no problem. The owner maintenance authority requires you build 51%. So it will have to be inspected yearly by an A&P, but I don't think he has to have an I&A.

The Amateur Built classification requires that the total project meets the 51% rule. That is, the 'manufacturer' - that's you AND the guys who started before you - has to provide 51% or more of the labor involved.

You shouldn't have any trouble at all with the Amateur Built portion of the requirement. You could buy a 100% completed homebuilt, fly off the test hours, and it's still a homebuilt. You just didn't build it.

To get the Repairman's Certificate on that aircraft, *you* have to be the primary builder. Even though there's a lot already done, the remaining work may qualify. To finish the project, you'll probably have to be very familiar with all its various systems. The DAR may allow you to get the Repairman's priveleges on the final product if you can convince him/her that you are, indeed, the primary builder.

Even if you can't the the certificate, you can, as Dan stated, have an A&P (not necessarily IA) do the annual Conditional Inspections. You can do all the repairs and maintenance and log the work. Each year, it needs to be examined by a licensed mechanic or the guy who has the Repairman's Certificate on *that* aircraft.

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to be wrong!

Jon B.

Jon B. said:
Disclaimer: I reserve the right to be wrong!

Jon,

You may reserve the right, but you don't need it on this one. You're absolutely correct. The FAA says 51% of the fabrication and assembly tasks must be completed by amateur builders (plural). It doesn't matter how many builders worked on the project, so long as the total of all the work adds up to 51% or more of the tasks.

Just make sure that, when purchasing an in-process project you get all the records of the construction that's already been completed. Those records along with the records of the construction that you complete will be used to prove that the major portion of the aircraft was constructed by amateur builders.

Cheers!

Joe

What if...

What if the primary builder doesn't want to be considered as the primary builder, and he doesn't want to share the builders log?

Mike

Re: What if...

CptKelly said:
What if the primary builder doesn't want to be considered as the primary builder, and he doesn't want to share the builders log?

Without the construction records (aka "Builders log") getting an amateur-built airworthiness certificate is going to be very difficult, if not impossible. The only other option would be experimental exhibition, which isn't as desirable as amateur-built.

If you can't get the build records with the project, find a different project. (Unless the deal is so good that you can part the project out and not lose money, or if you're happy with exhibition category.)

Joe

Back