• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wheel bearing grease

bob turner

Aircraft wheel bearings, in my opinion, are no big deal when compared to auto front bearings, but I just opened up a set of Clevelands with blue grease in there! It looked like they had been repacked yesterday, but I know they had at least 200 hours on them. Anybody know what kind of grease is BLUE?

I opened up a tailwheel done by one of the great restorers in Arizona a few years ago, and that grease was a pleasing shade of burgundy. Neat stuff, but the only thing I found to match it was non-disc brake automotive grease.

Only thing I really know about aircraft greases, other than maybe there needs to be a PMA or something, is that it doesn't need to be high temp, like auto grease. The Mechs at Ransome cautioned us never to use their expensive grease in our old beat-up cars, since car bearings run continuously at higher temps.

I have some blue lithium grease for the boat trailer.

We took the wheels off of this cub and the bearings fell out.....I wonder why? :bang :bang :bang

3.JPG

Kendall high temp. Been using it for years. Thats all I remember. It is great stuff.

Since stock Cub wheels are not sealed well [felt washers instead of seals],
I use boat trailer waterproof grease. It has worked fine for years. Those little boat trailer wheels spin a lot faster and longer than Cub wheels.

Ron

OMC ( as in outboards) Triple Guard grease is dark blue. I assume it fits a mil-spec for aircraft grease. I have used it for at least 8 seasons. The majority of that time is outside in southcentral Alaska. Ocean beaches are probably 30% of my use.

speaking only from that experience, I would recommend this stuff unconditionally.

I was in the John Deere dealer today and seen a tube of HD Water Resistant Grease on the shelf, real nice blue in color, and says very good resistance to salt water, part # on the tube was TY24425. doug

Grease

For the tail wheel pivot head I use Polaris snowmobile suspension grease. It is made for low tempartures and won't get stiff like the other stuff will. Crash

I have been using Red “N” Tacky #2 for decades. Lucas Oil product. Doesn’t migrate from bearings that are not protected by seals. Side of tube says it is has “Good cold weather characteristics”. “Especially good for sliding surfaces.” Good for boat trailers and wheel bearings. “NLGI rated GC-LB, the highest rating given for chassis and wheel bearing grease.”

Silkolene is blue or at least the 5# tub I’ve been working thru for the last 35 years , amazing stuff...

Hmmm. Obviously nobody has their wheels falling off for lack of some super sacred special precision grease! :wink:

Hmmm. Obviously nobody has their wheels falling off for lack of some super sacred special precision grease! :wink:

Nope. More important to keep it clean and repack at least each annual. If you are in water use something that withstands water better such as some type of 'marine' grease. And keep it clean and repack at least each annual . . . .

Web

.... keep it clean and repack at least each annual . . . .

That's funny to hear you say that.
I get chided by some because I do clean & repack the wheel bearings every annual.
I don't care to (try to) grease the tailwheel & t/w head using the zerk fittings--
I clean & regrease the t/w head assembly & wheel bearings every year too.

I generally use aeroshell 64 (used to be 33MS) but I'm land only and have no idea how it would perform in water. Aeroshell also make a 58 grease that specifically is touted for wheel bearings and says it is highly resistant to water washout and corrosion. Might be something worth trying.

Wayne

That's funny to hear you say that.
I get chided by some because I do clean & repack the wheel bearings every annual.
I don't care to (try to) grease the tailwheel & t/w head using the zerk fittings--
I clean & regrease the t/w head assembly & wheel bearings every year too.

I was taught that it's part of a 100 hr or annual inspection. And how can you inspect the bearings and races if you don't clean the grease off them? (Thank you to all the instructors at my A&P course in Winona).

Web

So it's my first time re-packing aircraft wheel bearings. Thought I was doing good, got them all cleaned up, blown out and re-packed with bearing grease and re-assembled. Then I get reading on the internet to use an aircraft specific grease. The grease I used was some I had on hand. It says "Premium Hi-Temp Disc brake Wheel Bearing Grease NLGI No.2". Also says "Fully additive treated for EP/antiwear, rust, and oxidation inhibited". So are my wheels going to fall off? Should I re-do with an aircraft specific grease?

I have been using NAPA grease for 17 years and my wheels haven’t fallen off yet.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Out of a brand new set of Cleveland Wheels. What does NLGI 2 mean?

CE25FFE1-DD97-4EFF-A8DD-1D2F0215BBB3.jpg

Attachments

• CE25FFE1-DD97-4EFF-A8DD-1D2F0215BBB3.jpg
    CE25FFE1-DD97-4EFF-A8DD-1D2F0215BBB3.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 116
Back