• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Engine mount

bigsky

charlo mt
There is a small suspect area on pa-18a engine mount that Vinny (A&P)
thinks should be checked and /or repaired or replaced. I have searched every possible combo of engine mount etc and can't find much. Have found service listed in Wag-Aero that refurbishes mounts for approx $400
and Univair sells new for $500. Has anybody redone engine mount and found supplier for good quality product? thanks in advance

bob erickson

i intended to ask a final question in my original post and hoped someone
could explain "engine mount 101" in the context of explaining: conical, dynafocal, swing out, etc and if I need a new mount what is preferred way to go.

bob

bigsky said:
i intended to ask a final question in my original post and hoped someone
could explain "engine mount 101" in the context of explaining: conical, dynafocal, swing out, etc and if I need a new mount what is preferred way to go.

bob

Bob-

Dynafocal Mount Looks like this:
firewall.jpg

Conical Mount looks like this:

140enginemount.JPG

Depending which engine you have determines the mount. Swing out is just what it says, the mount will let you swing the engine out while still attached to the firewall. GOod for getting at the back of the engine for maint.

Tim

Does anyone know of a company or person currently manufacturing a dynafocal mount for a widebody SuperCub which is modified to provide the zero thrustline, rather than adding the spacers, a la Mark's modification?

tim,

i have the swing out, from the books it appears it is the orig 1958
mount. can you expand on the plus or minus of the other types of mounts. thanks

bob

Don't know of anyone. Most folks are honoring the time and expense that Mark put into the thrust line mod by purchasing a kit from him.

My 2 cents

Bill

Don't know of anyone. Most folks are honoring the time and expense that Mark put into the thrust line mod by purchasing a kit from him.

My 2 cents

Bill

Yes Sir, I understand the effort and expense that Mark has invested in the mod. What I was hoping for was to find out if someone has an effort in the works to modify a dynafocal, swing-out engine mount that allows the engine to assume the 0-thrust line, while at the same time seating the engine lower in relationship to the longitudinal axis of the fuselage. It appears to me this would allow the original profile of the SC to be retained, and allow better visibility over-the-nose when using the larger tires.

Pictures are worth a thousand words BTP.

Are you sure that that wheel is supposed to be that close to the prop? is that a mod to allow better vis with the thrust line????? :lol:

aktango58 said:
Are you sure that that wheel is supposed to be that close to the prop? is that a mod to allow better vis with the thrust line????? :lol:

Actually, I just sent the paperwork in for my new STC to fix the problem of seeing over the nose with the thrustline mod. I have attached one of the diagrams....:drinking:

scope_9.gif

musket said:
Does anyone know of a company or person currently manufacturing a dynafocal mount for a widebody SuperCub which is modified to provide the zero thrustline, rather than adding the spacers, a la Mark's modification?

Mark had a "zero thrustline" dynafocal mount that was supposed to be offered as an option for the Penn Yan Tiger Cub 180 hp conversion. I don't know what ever happened to it. Maybe it was dropped for certification issues. Crash

I'd like to see that produced for us Exp. folks rather than go with a standard engine mount then do the thrustline mod. Maybe Mark could licence that to Smith Cub folks or someone and collect some costs back on his efforts that way.

What would you guys think of a kit for a straight mount? I just sent everything to build a new mount out for my J-5. I can draw everything in 3d and then get all of the tubes profile cut. The Jig and supports could be on a "loan" basis. I would be willing to help mark with this.

Tim

Yes. Actually Nick would build whatever you wanted. You tell him what engine you intended to use and he built your mount accordingly. I don't know what the new company will do.

Bill

Thrust line mod...

Has anyone applied the thrustline mod to a Smith Kit yet? I would be interested in a pilots report on the conversion.

Mike

Back