• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

2+2/PA11/J3

butch

FRIEND
Hutchinson, MN
I know there has been a handful of discussions about 2+2s. I will add some photos in the photo gallery of a 2+2 that my dad and I have been working on. A couple unique features include tandem seating, PA 18 torque tube controls, alum frame float doors, the power plant is an IO360 Continental 6 cyc with low compression pistons (200 hp).

The interest for this airplane when it is finished is to go on floats. I will also add photos of 2 other planes. One I have been working on recovering the wings, it is a PA11 copy powered by an O235. The other is a scratch built J3 kitten that is powered with a 582 Rotex.

What other projects are out there? :D How is everyone doing on them? I'm located in Hutchinson, MN.

Butch 2+2 projects

Butch : Are you interested in a Cessna Airmaster Project ??? 150 miles from you ??? John

I like all three! How much is the 2+2 fuse narrowed? Great idea. Narrow to see out both sides but seaplane doors too. Every time I see a Kitten I think "man that looks like fun on a calm summer evening." Was the 11 built from wagaero plans? Keep the photos coming. Hope you enjoy building with your dad like I do with mine.

I'm building a Murphy Rebel and have 1800 amphibs for it to build also. The project is going very slow due to military transfers. But hope to be done by the year 2020.:) I am from the Itasca Park, MN area.

JC, You ready to give that C-37 away yet? You know where I live. just drop it off there. LOL I would love to finish it someday.
Keith

John-You have me curious, can you tell me what the Cessna airmaster is all about? What is the state of the project? Can you add some photos for me and others?

Dan-the fuselage is a couple inches narrower and I am using Cessna 150 flaps and the fowler flap mechanism. Although the actuator is going to be manual. The PA11 was built per wagaero plans with some minor changes. It is setup with PA18 torque tube and seating, 150 hp updates, extended baggage, and PA18 wing tanks. Some of the things that I would like to change yet would be a one piece flip up door and a full skylight. I've also considered cutting back the spars and modifying the fuselage for outboard spar attachment (like PA18) seems like a lot of work for not much gain. Whats the opinion?

Butch,
Hopefully John will get back to you on the Airmaster. He lives up near me. (Bemidji area) But it is a 1937 C-37 I did some research on it and it is basically the predessor to the Cessna 190-195 series. I think it has a 145HP radial engine. If I remember correctly it has wood wings and tube and fabric fuselage. The one John is selling has the wing (its a one piece unit) already done and the fuselage is covered to the firewall. I believe it needs the interior done and engine installed. It looks nice so far. But I love those old nostalgic airplanes. Sorry John if I got any of this wrong. I was really interested in in but keep telling myself I have too many projects already. PM him and he will get back to you. Super nice guy.
Keith

If you are using Cessna flaps on the 2+2 did you do anything to strengthen the rear spar? Real flaps greatly increase the load on the rear spar. On thing done with a "cub" style wing is to increase the size of compression struts and move them so they support the rear spar at or very near the flap hinge location. Might be a good idea to give this area a little thought.

Rick C-

Rick -- your right. What we have done is run torque tube from spar to spar at the hinge point to eliminate twist. Sorry about the delay....

Butch -

No problem, hopefully the delay was because you're working on the project. Sounds interesting. Sold my 2+2 last year and new project, NorthStar 6, is moving very slow.

Rick

Back