Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: the winds are changing

Post Thanks / Like

the winds are changing

Here in northern ont we usual get winds from north west or north
    this winter winds are from south est and south completely reversed
    the weather is weird . most of the swamps are not frozen and only got
    6 to 14 inches of ice .I wonder if its global warming or just part of the cycle. The storms are mutch more violent and almost amazing to watch.
    Being a sailor and pilot i cant help but to notice the extremes change in weather,maybe the scientist are right or maybe not ,how knows.
    any input ?

Post Thanks / Like

big changes here, too

Big changes seen here too.

Another pilot and sailor here - we now have a half dozen 60 degree plus days so far this year here in Virginia, and on the Kenai Peninsula last summer thunderstorms were prevalent. Always too hot/humid summers in Virginia are much more unbearable.

And my old highschool snowmachine friends in Michigan have been on 4 wheelers for years - no snow.

I think we will see sea levels rise pretty soon.

Bob Breeden

Post Thanks / Like
    I think all that brown dingy stuff in the air has to have some effect. I ride my bicycle alot so I don't feel so guilty when I crank the 180 up.
    Marty

Post Thanks / Like
    The local paper ran an article saying that La Nina conditions had been confirmed by one of the federal agencies that makes pronouncements on these things.

Remember the big El Nino we had back in '83/'84? That was a particularly well developed cycle, with warm water fish moving far north along the California fish. With La Nina the cold water moves well south of its typical range. Maybe this cycle will be a really strong one, kind of balancing out the strong El Nino from '83/'84.
    Speedo

Post Thanks / Like
    I was digging with a paleontologist in Bynum,MT summer before last with my 2 boys. The oldest asked about global warming. Well the paleo guy pointed out the mtns had been reduced by glaciers and alarge ice dam had burst about 6000 years ago to reveal the rock we were looking in. He said we were still warming from that mini iceage and had been warmer in the past million years or so. Just a normal cycle. Also he surmised that 120 years or so ago when widespread temp records were being kept, There was so much coal smoke in the atmosphere that temps were lowered. So do not compare todays temps to those.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting to hear that a paleontologist is doubting the global warming theory! I would have wrongly grouped the type with those who assume the theory of evolution to have been proved.

I had heard that 97% of scientists do not believe global warming to be a fact.

However, the 3% that do are very vocal, and have the ear of a media that loves a shocking story. Kind of like the super-liberal D. Feinstein, H. Clinton, J. Kerry, T. Kennedy, etc. Most people are somewhat more toward the center, but those few catch the attention of a media thirsty to spew 'shock and awe' to the couch potatoes in front of a wide-screen.

.....just for healthy discussion.

Dave, a pilot and sailor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 180Marty
    I think all that brown dingy stuff in the air has to have some effect. I ride my bicycle alot so I don't feel so guilty when I crank the 180 up.
    Marty
    If you are really suffering from guilt why don't you scrap the 180 so that It will never fly again. That would make far more sense. It's the worst polluting machine around. It has no pollution control system, no fuel efficiency, and burns leaded fuel.

Jerry
    If it looks smooth...it might be

If it looks rough...it is!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just remember that a lot of these scientists get their paychecks from govt. funded research programs. They ensure thier own future by scaring the public into funding them money to cure the world's so-called "problems".

Remember acid rain???? You don't hear much about that anymore. Global warming is just the latest trend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by storm_pilot
    Just remember that a lot of these scientists get their paychecks from govt. funded research programs. They ensure thier own future by scaring the public into funding them money to cure the world's so-called "problems".

Remember acid rain???? You don't hear much about that anymore. Global worming is just the latest trend.
    I sure do agree.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jerry wrote

If you are really suffering from guilt why don't you scrap the 180 so that It will never fly again. That would make far more sense. It's the worst polluting machine around. It has no pollution control system, no fuel efficiency, and burns leaded fuel.
    You're wrong on one thing---I'm burning unleaded.
    Marty

Post Thanks / Like
    storm_pilot wrote

Remember acid rain???? You don't hear much about that anymore.
    The sulfur is being removed before going out the stack thus the reason farmers out east are having to add sulfur to their fertilizer mix now.
    Marty

Post Thanks / Like
    The west Ky coal miners were all out of work and most still are due to high sulpher coal here. Most of the coal burned in the tva powerplants comes from wyoming to reduce acid discharge. The scrubber technology helped alot too. If not for the 3% radical eviros we would be back to digging coal big time in KY since all the powerplants have scrubber type technology now. That HIGH SULFHER coal is the devil you know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Everybody can quit feeling guilty: http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...ut_030320.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan 2+2 wrote

The west Ky coal miners were all out of work and most still are due to high sulpher coal here. Most of the coal burned in the tva powerplants comes from wyoming to reduce acid discharge. The scrubber technology helped alot too. If not for the 3% radical eviros we would be back to digging coal big time in KY since all the powerplants have scrubber type technology now. That HIGH SULFHER coal is the devil you know.
    They're going to start making anhydrous ammonia (nitrogen fertilizer) in East Dubuque, IL using high sulfur coal from southern IL. The sulfur will be used for fertilizer also. Right now most anhydrous is made using natural gas and is extremely high priced.
    Marty

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah thats been in the local papers about the anhydrous plant. They are trying to get permits to build a coal fired electric plant in the coal area in Ky too. But so far clean air groups are blocking it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to work at a mine south of Gillette, Wy in the late 70's. I learned to fly there. I was always told that our coal was so high in sulphur, there were only a few plants in TX and LA that could burn it. Sulfur analysis was closely held information. Don

Post Thanks / Like
    The coal fired ethanol plant that just got going in Goldfield IA is using Wyoming coal. It is a fluidized bed combustor and uses a little limestone with the coal to attach the sulfur so it doesn't go out the stack. EPA has been there to see how it works since this is the first of it's kind for ethanol. So far, so good I'm told.
    Marty