• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New Discussion Forum on "Other" Airplanes

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
Well, we get a lot of talk about other airplanes, so lets see if we can organize it all into one place. We have a LOT of fine members who don't own Super Cubs, and lots who own Super Cubs AND other airplanes. This is the place to talk about "all the other" planes - and it is OK to do so!

Have fun!

the other woman

My North Star kit plane 180 hp, a exp Super Cub, "Shooter" is a fun and easy to work on airplane. The Super Cub is my ride of choice., but if I need to go across country, I get in the RV 8 "Borrowed Horse".

If, I was limited to one airplane the Cessna 180 would be my choice.

Dec 2009, I added a 1976 C 180J to my collection. I have had it out west twice and up to New York from Texas. WoW, what a nice ride.
The RV8 has 450 hours now and I like that too. 'Shooter' has 550+ hours All fun airplanes.

Last edited:
Other Plane

My wife (a pilot) and I have a 185 that is a keeper. The fact that is does everything pretty well is no secret. At 5'4'' my wife has always refered to it as a beast with less than perfect ergonomics for a petite woman. She has always wanted a Cub, and I've always wanted to built an airplane so we are about to begin construction of a Smith (Turbine Cubs of Wyoming) kit. An RV-8 would be perfect to round out the stable but will probably not be in the buget for many years.

Mark McClellen

I sort of know my way around Cubs, but I am just scratching the surface on the C-180, with help from our members! There are still things I am not quite sure of on my Decathlon - like where is that lower screen in the oil sump? Supercub.org is the only place I have ever been able to get accurate, instantaneous info.

Empennage is going back on the 180 without a hitch - thanks to those NAS oversize bolts you guys told me about. Thanks!

I own a RV6 along with the Supercub. The RV is the get there in a hurry airplane and upside down capable (although at Red River I did notice that C180's are also aerobatic). It is a hoot to fly, very responsive and well mannered, did I mention that it is fast?

The Supercub is my favorite by far, most of my flying is low/slow with the door open countin' cows.
When I am not in a hurry I would just as soon take the Cub on cross country trips down where I can see the countryside going about it's business.

If I could just keep one plane, it would be the Cub.

steve

I have owned my '71 Cessna 206 for over 22 years. Originally three partners, then two, then only me for the past 17 years. Bought my 1/3 in 1983 for $8,000! Then I must have hit my head hard because I woke up 18 months ago and just had to have a Cub, never having flown a taildragger, let alone a cub. Lurked here reading everything I could, bought a great SuperCub 1 year ago, and now have over 175 hours in my cub. When I think of flying, I think of the cub, but interesting enough, I enjoy the 206 even more now. Only problem is Bob Turner let me do a couple of landings in the C-180 he is helping on and has but some more dangerous thoughts in my mind (180/185?!). But those cargo doors on the 206 would really be missed. I have had two 500cc dirt bikes in the back going down to Baja, and 4 mountain bikes, 4 guys, and all our gear out to Moab, and the Zodiac and 25hp outboard, and even a tandem bicycle that my wife and I bought up in Washington on one of our annual trips up there. It is going to take some training to get a bit more minimalist in the cub, but it will be worth it. Sorry for the long post, but I really appreciate Steve, this site, and all the contributors for opening up cub flying to me.

Gary

Back to Cubs for a second:

Anyone needing more space and thinking their -18 is a minimalist machine should check out the "Firmin" bushpod. You can get a lot of stuff in a Cub that has one of these things.

DAVE

Thanks Dave,

Guess I missed on being humorous. I'll buy you a beer at the Airmans Show and promise to only talk cubs.

No, no.

I was really trying to inform about how nice that pod is. I figured the timing was right.

Now, I promise to only talk about other airplanes on this particular thread. :D

DAVE

steve said:
Well, we get a lot of talk about other airplanes, so lets see if we can organize it all into one place. We have a LOT of fine members who don't own Super Cubs, and lots who own Super Cubs AND other airplanes. This is the place to talk about "all the other" planes - and it is OK to do so!

Have fun!
:down

Steve,

I log on to Supercub.org to read about fabric covered Pipers from the Cub family. Occasional comparisons to and/or questions about other types of airplanes adds valuable information to the discussions about Super Cubs that this website was started for.

If you want to start discussions about aircraft other than the Cub family, I offer two suggestions:

1) Offer the "other aircraft" section as a selectable section like Rant & Rave. That way if one doesn't want to see the thread about heavy duty nose gear forks on Cessna 206's (i.e. other than Cub posts) you don't have to.

2)A complete revamp / rename / new website that caters to the type of people that visit here, but with seperate areas for different types of planes.

I REALLY like this website. I understand that it is hard to cater to all folks all the time. I'm envious of those fortunate enough to own more than one type of airplane, but you did name it SuperCub.org!! :D

You solicited my input and you got it for what it's worth.

John Scott

Come to think of it, I like the idea of having a discussion area for other a/c types because I know a little about some of 'em and enjoy providing helpful information on them.

On-the-other-hand, I wouldn't enjoy seeing the "current hot topics" list full of discussions of glass cockpits, the best anti-lock brake pads, or what type of headliner fabric is in style with the jetset when I come to talk about Cubs.

2 more cents. DAVE

Longwinglover said:
You solicited my input and you got it for what it's worth.

John Scott

Actually, I didn't, but I got it anyway... 8)

This forum "my other airplane is a" is the full extent of other aircraft discussion. It could be a fabric covered piper colt, for example. We ALREADY (as I pointed out) talk about other airplanes all the time, I thought it might be best to keep them in their own category, so that folks won't be distracted by them.

We are not trying to exapand, just contain.

sj

Think of this category, as a place that all those non-cub posts can be placed. I'd rather not delete them, I get a lot of valuable information from them, but I would like to eventually improve our categories here so they make more sense.

WHICH by the way I WOULD solicit anyone's opinions on the current forum categories, and what changes would be helpful.

thanks!

sj

A guy can get better, faster information on a Cessna 180 here then on the Cessna 180 site. Not saying the Cessna 180/185 site is not good, just this one is just so much more active and the pilots here actually seem to fly their planes instead of just own them. Crash

I like airplanes. I'd rather discuss any airplane before I'd want to discuss politics, yet political threads are common.

I've never met a pilot at an airport that I didn't like. It never mattered what he or she was flying. I guarantee that I didn't discuss politics or business ethics or points of law with any of those pilots at the airports. It's a good thing, I think.

Stewart

I'm with Crash. I just finished the empennage of the 180, and I simply wouldn't have been successful without the help of supercub.org members. The key was the oversize bolts that Genuine had in stock, complete with paperwork. Thanks to all that helped.

I really, really need a source like this to aid in my ramp-up on the Super Decathlon. Folks at the airport are already calling me for expert advice, and believe me I am far from an expert! This morning I got a call about some rib separators in the leading edge area, and I have never really seen a Dec wing without fabric and skins - I cannot wait to rebuild one, but what I really need is an exploded view - like the one you can get in the Cub parts catalogs, only for the Decathlon.

So maybe the categories can be under "other aircraft". then separated into groups? Put one in for Decathlons for me, and one in for 180/185 because that is the world's second-best lightplane (right behind the Cub!)

Thanks! bob

Steve, we can get quicker responses and answers on -3, -11, & -12 maintenance and modification if we post in the matching SuperCub subcategories. If we lump those posts in this thread, many of the forum habituees won't see the messages and won't respond. Do you prefer that we post only in this thread anyway? (it's your call, of course)

All the best,
JimC

Jim-

I ask all kinds of piper j-5 and PA-12 questions in the supercub areas. I try to post the cessna stuff in the other airplane forums though.

Tim

Jim,

You don't add it to the specific thread, just add it to the forum area "my other plane". Most people use the front page of supercub.org to see what is going on and don't pay too much attention to the categorization.

sj

Steve,
What we have is not a SuperCub but close. I have a "Super" J-3 Cub and I am about to buy a PA-11 fully restored. Where do we have to go. We also have a Fairchild F-24R and it definitely fits in the other catagory.

\...Clyde and Susan

Believe me folks, all my attempts at getting folks to post into the right buckets have been feeble, and have the results. Nobody is going to get punished for posting in the wrong area.

sj

Okay - I had a long post written up on this one with math and everything. But lost my connection and didn't know it till I submitted. Anyway I found that if the posts were to be written down on paper we would have about 4 miles of data. My point was that if we categorize our posts like Steve suggests and use kewords on our photos we wil have a better experience and the computers that do our searches will work more efficently and our searches will come back with better results.

Well at the moment I have three airplanes

A Fench Cri Cri .

A 1976 Cessna Aerobat Texas Taildragger.

And I am building a Cub clone.

My wife will not give me any money to buy more parts for my Cub.

My Aerobat is for sale so I can finish my favourite toy..the Cub.

Anyone know anything about that Jabiru six cylinder Austrailian 120 HP engine?

Chuck E.

Steve,

You really know how to stir the pot just before the holidays!!! :lol:

Sounds like a fun way to precipitate some controversy, and discussion. Musta been slow lately....

MTV

steve said:
Believe me folks, all my attempts at getting folks to post into the right buckets have been feeble, and have the results. Nobody is going to get punished for posting in the wrong area.

sj

Jon B. is doing his best as the Thread Sheriff. Are you looking for any deputies Jon? :2gunfire:

Back