Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Advice on Bose headsets

Post Thanks / Like

Advice on Bose headsets

I've got 2 sets of generation 2 Bose headsets, 9 years old. Bose will go thru them, and repair as necessary for $225 each. OR, give me $300 each on a trade for their current headsets. Comes out to $695 for each new headset. Are the new ones a lot different than the old ones? Are they more comfortable? Do they work better? Any advice would be welcome. The old ones had my wife convinced that our Supercub was a quiet airplane. Don't think anything is wrong with the sets I have, but after 9 years I thought I would get them checked out. Bill Stevenson

Post Thanks / Like
    The new ones are worth it. Lighter, better ANR, lower profile, longer battery life. And with the $300 credit, very affordable for what you get.

Post Thanks / Like
    The new ones have better noise cancelling and are lighter.
    The old ones were way more comfortable. In my opinion the new bose are overpriced for what you get, they could of thought of comfort a bit more. Can't wear them for more than 3 hours before they start to hurt.
    If you do decide to get them, get some aftermarket extra padding for them.

When I got rid of the old Bose headsets I went with the new Bose, didn't like them, sold them to a friend and got David Clarks with noise cancelling. Cheaper, way more comfortable and mostly a lot more durable.

If your old Bose headsets are still in good shape, keep them they are a good product and come close to what you get today. Mine were too beat up to keep and that's why I changed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the Bose headsets and find them to be very comfortable - even on flights of 14 hours. I know that some of our other pilots don't find them to be nearly as comfortable so I would suggest that if you know anyone with a set of the new ones, go give them a try.

Brian
    "Why is it wives can't just accept the biological mystery of guns reproducing in gun cabinets, and let it go at that?" - Patrick F. McManus

Post Thanks / Like
    I've used both (and own two pairs of the older generation), and agree with Clay's recommendation.
    Speedo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Hammond
    The new ones are worth it. Lighter, better ANR, lower profile, longer battery life. And with the $300 credit, very affordable for what you get.
    Ditto.

Post Thanks / Like
    Note that in Clay's avatar, he's wearing David Clarks.

Sorry, couldn't resist .

I do not like the new Bose headsets. I have big ears and they simply don't fit well enough to work in a noisy airplane. They work okay in something like a 206, but not in a Cub, for me. They simply don't fit.

I used two sets of the second generation Bose headsets, and liked them. I took advantage of the "rebuild" offer, and never looked back. They are heavy, but fit well, and function well.

For me at least, and a few others I've known, the new ones simply don't fit well enough to let the ANR function.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill,

I believe this post is based on personal opinions and i have heard a lot of good and bad about all kinds of headsets. When you are flying full time, a beaver, or a 185, i guess you kinda get tired fast of having heavy headsets on your head all day.

But now, these commercial days gone for me, my two cents worth is, do not invest in bose, cause David Clarks are the way to go baby! I find them much lighter, more noise cancelling, and are better for people having big ears. A bought my pair 2 years ago. My uncle, super cub owner, has had the same pair for 15 years now, and they are still goin strong!

Cheers

Fred

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought the Bose at Oshkosh last year, and like them. They are pricey. If you have satellite radio or a CD player, the quality of the sound is amazing. I have had David Clark noise cancelling for 5 years and thought they were very good, but the Bose are the ones that I use. The auto shut off is also a nice feature if you are a moron like me and can't seem to remember to shut them off.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought the first generation Bose and then had them upgraded to the new ANR/power supply two years ago. I was never all that impressed with the passive noise reduction, which to me is important in a plane as loud as my PA-12 (aluminum cargo area liner).

I switched to the Telex Stratus 50-D due to the passive noise reduction and great reviews on their ANR. They are bigger and heavier than the Bose, but quieter, even when wearing sunglasses.

I recently bought a second set (because they added cell phone/music interface) but I've found the audio quality (both transmission and reception) to be poor, so they're headed to the factory for an evaluation. The first pair are noticeably clearer (the tower actually commented about the poor transmission, so I switched out to the 'old' ones, problem solved).

Laporte, Minnesota and the white sandy beaches of NW Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't mean to hijack the topic but has anyone used the Lightspeed 3G series headsets? I have one and bought it a couple of years ago and have zero complaints with it. But I am looking to purchase another headset and use the 3G for passengers.

Have any of you used both the 3G and the Bose? How do they compare?

They only drawback that has kept me from buying the Bose is their price. When I compared the different types at Oshkosh several years ago I found no difference in the Bose verses several other brands and it more came down to which one felt more comfortable on my head. That is why I got the 3G originally, plus at that time the battery life on the Bose was not the greatest.

Comments?

Thanks,
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    I like light speed . There should be a thead on this somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the input from everyone. I just called Bose and traded my old headsets for the new models. Bill Stevenson

Post Thanks / Like
    I've owned all the Lighspeed ANR models at one time or another. Personally, I didn't think the 3g's were much better than the older XL models. Matter of fact, I ended up selling my 3g and keeping an old 15XL as a backup set.

As far as Bose vs. Lightspeed, no comparison IMHO. Bose is the clear winner.

Battery life on the newer AA powered Bose is much improved over the 9v model.

Post Thanks / Like
    Battery life on the newer AA powered Bose is much improved over the 9v model.
    Amen, and a hell of a lot cheaper. :P

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a new pair of bose headsets for Christmas and I am amazed at the quality of sound and also the lack of sound cancelled out by them. Very light and comfortable too. I would not hesitate to purchase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Crap, I thought it was just my oddly shaped head that made the new Bose hurt, now I find out I have big ears too? This is not good news. I'll just put on my antique DC's, spend all that money on gas and go flying.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want 7yr old boise 300 bucks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    I've owned all the Lighspeed ANR models at one time or another. Personally, I didn't think the 3g's were much better than the older XL models. Matter of fact, I ended up selling my 3g and keeping an old 15XL as a backup set.

Agreed...we have the 3g's and XL's and the XL's are definitely better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Note that in Clay's avatar, he's wearing David Clarks.
    That was 8 years ago....but yeah I still own them. First headset I ever had, gift from my dad, and still a damn good headset. They're still going strong. I've upgraded them over the years with Oregon Aero accessories and a Headsets Inc ANR kit. Works great. But I use Bose in the go-fast's that I fly. Still use the DC's in the cubs, better clamping pressure when I'm racking an airplane around.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to admit that I use the Bose for work but still use my 20 year old David Clarks (actually, they are my wife's set) for cub's and such....

Brian
    "Why is it wives can't just accept the biological mystery of guns reproducing in gun cabinets, and let it go at that?" - Patrick F. McManus

Post Thanks / Like
    Well heck, I think your head size/shape and ear size really matters here. For example, I've got a big (OK, OK, swollen, according to my friends) head, and big ears. For ME the Lightspeeds work very well. Just got done swapping out a new headband for FREE! from the nice folks at Lightspeed. Outstanding customer service. So easy even I could do it.

Although the David Clarks are excellent quality, I can only wear for an hour or so, or my head and ears hurt. But that's probably due to my big head and ears.

I can wear my Peltors all day with no problem.

To put this into perspective, you've got to actually try these products on YOUR head for extended time in YOUR type of flying. One size does NOT fit all on this stuff, noise-canceling permforance aside.

Just my warped opinion.

Thanks. cubscout

Post Thanks / Like
    I started with the lightspeed 15XL then 25xl, moved up to the 3G's and then to the bose. The 3g's have the best comfort as far as fit. The bose are the lightest. The wife likes the bose of course she is petite. If you fly with the doors open the bose keep the noise and wind noise down where as the 3G's actually will drive you crazy.

The most important part? The warranty.
    lightspeed hands down. No matter how old, just send them back with your name and address, they will fix anything or replace them no questions and no receipt. I have sent four pairs back and got outstanding service ( I fly 600+ a year). I sold a set to a friend, he sent them in after two years, and full updates came back with no quams.

I sent a bose pair back one month out of warranty. $225 repair!!!

just my 2 cents worth, or $995 worth..
    Ki

Post Thanks / Like
    OK folks, just a reminder here. Your ears never quit growing. The older you get the bigger they get. Thats why you see a lot of old guys with big ears. The ears just keep on growing, one of the few/only body parts with that characteristic. We are all going to look like Dumbo if medicine gets to the point where we live to be 120 years old.

We need bigger headset earcups for us old timers.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish you had not told us that.
    Gerald

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 2 sets of Bose Series X headsets. The work great in the Cirrus that I occaisionally fly. They are the most comfortable headsets that I have ever worn but, I haven't tried everything out there. The only caution that I would offer is that they don't work very well with my cub on takeoff. The noise level on takeoff overwhelms the Bose and they can get pretty noisy until the power is reduced. A friend of mine has the exact same problem with his Bose in his T18.

I contacted Bose about the problem and they were very responsive in looking at both pairs. The tested out OK and so they added a stronger spring to clamp my head more tightly. It helped a little bit but did not cure the problem. In a subsequent phone conversation with one of the technical representatives, he admitted that the series X is not good in a high noise environment. I appreciated his honesty but wish that Bose would have told me that before I purchased them.

Overall, I think they are a good product (I plan to keep them) and I think Bose is a good company. I use the Bose on cross country flights in the Cub but use David Clark when shooting touch and goes. If I could find an ANR headset that would work in the higher noise environment, I would buy them and just leave them in the Super Cub.

Tom