• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

converting pa18-105 special to 135hp

lunchmoney

port lavaca,tx
does anybody know what is required to make this conversion? just logbook entry or 337? please help i need info.

I have never done it but I would start by researching the available stc's.Faa.gov. Dont think there's any other way.

Cub Crafters has an STc but I think you need flaps and maybe some other stuff. Wag Aero also has an STC. You could do it using the type certificate I would think but I don't know if the 105 had the extra tubes in the fuselage like the 135.

Why spend the money going to a 135 when the overhaul of an 0320 is less? Probably should do some research on the 0290-D amd D2 motors before jumping into this. I was going to put one of these motors on the J5 until I crunched some numbers. Parts are more expensive than the small cont. and 0320's.

Tim

Converting 105 special to PA-18 135 or 150

OK, been there, done that.

The "modification" is done in accordance with Piper Drawings for the PA-18-135 (or) -150. Get the drawings, modify the aircraft and make a 337 form out the plane was modified in accordance with "Piper Drawing No. XXX for PA-18-XXX"

No other data is required and no further approval is required because the aircraft has been modified in accordance to FACTORY approved data. Very simple.

One last thought: the aircraft does NOT change to the model it was modified to; it remains a PA-18 105 Special. Logs and paperwork indicate it was modified to PA-18-135/150.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions call me @ (907)688-3715 and I will help all I can.

Burl

Ditto Tim's comment with CAPITAL LETTERS. Your throwing good money away converting anything to a 290. They are great motors IMHO, but overhauls and even routine maintainance are becoming expensive. Not to mention the BS you have to listen to if ever try to sell.
Conversion to the 290 or the 320 on a 105 will be spendy but at least with the 320 you will have something of value when your done.
Your best bet would be to trade the 105 for a 18-135. People seem to think they are worth about the same these days, it seems.

Bob D

converting a PA18-105 to 135

I have a mid-time O290-D2-B that was running good when I took it off my Cub this year that I'll sell for 5G. No starter ring but with alt, starter and carb.

I have a 105 special that that is now a legal pa-18 150. I bought it that way but I have very complete logs and record of all mods. I know the most important thing in the end as for as being legal goes is having the letter of authority from the FAA to change it from a converted 135 to a legal pa-18 150. pm me if I can help. Does your plane have toe brakes?

I looked at this over a year ago when I had a PA-18A-125....
Steve Pierce will even tell you he and I went back and fourth on the cost..Of going from 125hp to 150hp....
By the time you strip the fuselage, weld in the extra supports, recover the fuselage, buy the engine, change the cowl purchase the paperwork, Whew!
You are buried in an older plane with limited value and more sunk into it that a 150HP would have cost...Same thing with going to an 0-290D2..
They are worth a ton as overhaul parts are high!
Do the math...Be very happy with you plane as she sits...Or do what I did sell the old one on Ebay for a bit more than she is probably worth and go on a search for what you really want! The market is soft on these airplanes and cash speaks very loudly!!!!!
And for those who don't think the market is soft review our own classifieds, Trade-A-Plane and Barnstormers.. ..
I saved and ton and ended up with a plane that is worth much more than I would have ever thought...But then again it is only worth what one will pay....
Good Luck...Call Steve Pierce he will give you a very honest and accurate cost of what you want to do..And if you go that way you will not find a better Super Cubber Restorer than Steve!

Good luck...

Sam

8)

Diggler,
I know I have someone here that already said give them my best price after telling them what I wanted.....
Well....Soft market or not I aint comin down!
PERIOD!
Pay my price or do without!!!
:lol:

Sam

8)

lunchmoney said:
does anybody know what is required to make this conversion? just logbook entry or 337? please help i need info.
Is yours an original Flapless 105 Special?
I have some documents somewhere here from Wag aero's STC that verify the 105 special frame is the same as the 135 frame. so you should be able to do it with 337. using that documentation.
You don't have to get fancy and add all that other stuff, just hang your spare 135 engine on and go.
Someone on this site is probably flying a 135 engined 105 special that could loan you their paperwork if you need field approval
(if you can get by all the BS on this site about it not being practical)
Brian

If you go to the 135 or the 150 engine, you should also change the torque tube. If you dont, the elevator forces will require 2 hands on flare out. The pivot bolt on the stick is 1 1/4" shorter on the factory 135 and 150. My 1950 125 SC with a 160 installed had the long pivot so I shorten the pivot on the torgue tube and WOW what a differance, now it is a pleasure to fly. Palhal

lunchmoney said:
my 135 conv. is almost complete, my 105 spec. is an original flap cub.

Then yours was probably an original 1950 PA-18 with the Lycoming 0-235 engine and flaps option. Not the 105 special (even tho your Registration says it is) (see diggler about that discrepancy)
I do have paperwork for a 1950 PA-18 with a 135 installed I can email you a copy if you need. (I think it is a pre 1955 337 so it would be as good as an STC) but I'd have to check.

PM me if you like.
Brian

Back