Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Icom A200 ?

Post Thanks / Like

Icom A200 ?

Any of you experts have an idea why we get no side tone from the A200 unless the intercom is on? This is a new install in a friend's Ridge Runner. The Intercom is a Sigtronic Sport 200. I've not messed with the Icom before this installation, seems to be a great little unit that I think maybe I'll put in my Smith Cub when the time comes. Everything about the install works but the side tone when you turn the intercom off. Call me puzzled.
    Gerald

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't had this problem before. I would double check all connections again. The only thing I can think of is the radio is grounding through the intercom when it is off. Call Sigtronics in the morning. They have some really good tech guys.

Here is the schematic.
    http://www.sigtronics.com/air/pdf/Sport200_INS.pdf
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    What does "sidetone" mean in this context?

Sorry, I know nearly nothing about radio technology.
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)

Post Thanks / Like
    Sidetone is the signal in your earphone of your own voice.....it's purpose is to give you an indication of how you sound, so you can adjust your mic position or make adjustments to your transmitter or help you troubleshoot what's wrong with your radiated signal. You want the intercom to provide it when you aren't actually transmitting on the air, and the transmitter to provide it when you are. They are usually wired to do just that, but sometimes there are jumpers....the transmitters either provide sidetone by monitoring the output of the modulator, or they detect (demodulate) a bit of the transmitted signal. There is just about always a sidetone level control on the transmitter.

Post Thanks / Like
    I seem to recall that Icom used to advertise an intercom feature on their A200. It probably worked as a function of the sidetone. That might be worth looking into. Have you talked to the Icom people about it?

Rooster

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Fojob.
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)

Post Thanks / Like
    gdafoe: check the sidetone level control on the Icom. frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I shall do that this afternoon and let you know, why didn't I think of that???????????? Seems like maybe the first thing one should check.
    Gerald

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got sidetone now. Seems the s-tone was set all the way open but needed moved a little to make good contact on the pot. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
    Gerald

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be very interested in how the Ridge Runner works out...after dealing with the airport morons here, I vowed my next plane will have folding wings.... My engineering project to make folding wings for the cub is scaping along the bottom of the sea, as it is very difficult to retrofit such a thing without extensive compromises...

Post Thanks / Like
    How about starting a new topic with a pirep on that Ridgerunner? I was under the impression that they're a single-place like the SkyRaider-- but since there's an intercon this one must have more than one seat?

Rooster

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a RR III. It has a small seat behind the pilot, no controls. The cabin is 4 inches wider than a SC so there is room to put your legs to each side to the pilots seat. There is also a version of the RR III that has dual controls. There is also a RR IV about to come out I think.

Can't really give you a pilot report as it has not officially flown yet, we need a little piece of paper before I can talk about how it flys. It taxis real nice though.
    Gerald

Post Thanks / Like
    How about a little more of a hangar report, then? I tried googling Ridgerunners, all I found was a single-place ultralight version. Who sells the RR3 & 4, what's the powerplant,empty/gross weight, etc?

Rooster

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a couple of websites neither of which are very easy to find. Here is the main one that is more up to date. http://www.bushwhackerair.com it has pictues and specs. They are the folks that bought the Northland SuperCub parts business recently. This one was built by a friend who did a super job on it. I'm sure if I can get him to put it in some judging he will get some recognition. I just finished up the trailer for it so he can haul it around.
    Gerald