• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Comm Transceivers

Clyde Barker

T74
I've been using a JRC handheld transceiver in my no electrics experimental Cub, and while it works ok with the external antenna, the battery life is pretty short. I'm thinking about mounting a small 12v battery under the seat and installing a panel mount comm.

Has anyone here used the Microair 760, or maybe an Icom A200? I'm just looking for a reliable radio, and these are much less expensive than a King or Narco unit. Also, I kind of like the Microair because it mounts in a 2 1/4" hole.

Any comments would be welcome.

Thanks,
Clyde

out of the three microairs I hace mounted in aircraft I have sent all of them back to the factory for repairs. It takes 2 months to get them back and one I have sent out twice now.

Reliability = 0

I have installed two Microairs. No problem with the one I fly all the time. Not heard anything on the other.

I put the Garmin SL-40 in my J-3, and run it off a standard 12v. gel cell. I get one month of daily flying between charges, and that is in a tower environment. I, and the tower, couldn't be happier.

Well, I could be slightly happier - the Garmin memory circuits are really strange: they re-organize your frequencies. I would have preferred to stick them in in my own chosen order. Next time it will be a KY-197.

Radios

Had 3 A200's in different Aircraft, the oldest has done @ 5000 hours. A very good radio, 10 memory frequencies, flip, flop, all you need and a resonable price. They are an absolute delight to use compared to Com 11A's and old stuff.

Had the Icom in my 7GCBC. Great radio and even better price. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

You see a lot of Beckers installed in gliders. Low power drain with pretty good transmit power, a built in volt meter, built in intercom, and it fits in a 2.25" instrument mount - very reliable too. Cost is a little more than the Icom but it's probably worth it. It's also about a pound lighter than the Icom.

I've flown aircraft with both the Becker and the A200 I think both are really good. If I was buying new it would be the becker.

The Beckers are outstanding radios. I've used a couple,and they are great. Good audio, great features, and lots of xmit power. Also, they go in an instrument hole. I've also used the Becker transponders, and offer the same comments on them.

Years ago, on my J-3 with no electrics, I installed a King 196 in the plane, with a small sealed motorcycle battery aft. Then I hung a small solar panel in the skylight. Never touched anything for two years, when I sold the plane. There was a time or two I failed to turn off the radio when I was done flying, and it was still on several days later. A really simple, no hassles rig. You could do this with an Odyssey battery, add a very small solar panel, and be golden.

It's all temporary on a no electrics airplane. I attached everything with Adel clamps, etc, and called it temporary.

MTV

One other comment on the Beckers, and such: The box is quite a bit shorter than the King/Icom/Narco etc, so they'll fit in some places with less behind-panel space available. Just like Supercub panels....

I like the Beckers, but feature-for-feature, consider the similar Dittel radios. Talk to Tim Mara at www.wingsandwheels.com Good vendor, knowledgeable about relative merits of his products.

And yeah, these days I'm mostly flying King KY-97A, Dittel, or Micro-Aire (Fobjob is probably right about these, and the knobs are small; tuning non-intuitive), and occasionally Icom A-200, and Garmin SL-40, which are also dandy units; same formfactor as the KY-97A.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks. Cubscout

Thanks everybody for your replies to my question on comm radios.

I decided on the Becker AR4201, and a PM501 intercom. Since my experimental cub has no electrical system, I installed a 6 amp hour AGM battery in a mount I fabricated under the front seat. I moved my compass from the panel and mounted it above the panel, and the Becker mounted where the compass used to be. The whole installation with battery and harness only added 10 pounds.

This is what it looks like...

BeckerRadio.jpg

Clyde

Nice looking set up. I have a question about your fuel system, do you feed the header with both wings and just have one valve for on and off? Or do you have left and right? Great looking airplane. I have looked at your photo gallery many times(with jealously). Kevin

Kevin,

Both wing tanks feed to the header, with one valve for on or off. The header is vented back to both mains, so they feed real evenly. Total fuel capacity is 26 gallons, and it burns just over 5 gallons per hour.

Thanks for your comments.

Clyde

The Becker looks like the way to go have been shopping them for the last month or so, I found one for 1200 and change, I don't remember where it was Aircraft spruce, or Pacific Coast, But it was one of those places where they will E-mail you their special low price. I will look through my E-mail to see. The only radio I have ever had installed in one of the airplanes that I have owned, was a KLX-135 in about 1993 or so when they first came out, I took a good bendin over on that one. (seemed like alot of labor and alot of misc. stuff, this was an AVIONICS SHOP) What would all entail if A guy bought a new Becker ( what is the best antenna), and do you need support braces behind the panel, and can you average mechinic install one in a couple 4 or 5 hours.

Thanks Matt

ICOM A200

ICOM A200 is the best aircraft radio I've ever had for the price!
Glenn

I'll add another vote for the Icom A200. I have one in my Super Cub and I really like it.

Joe

The Becker's have an AD against them.

I do like the formfactor, though, and I believe the more recent ones have the AD handled.

Kevin, I got the pleasure of meeting Clyde and mulling over his Cub recently when he stoppped by. Nice guy and very talented. Great attention to detail.

Steve Pierce said:
Kevin, I got the pleasure of meeting Clyde and mulling over his Cub recently when he stoppped by. Nice guy and very talented. Great attention to detail.
It sure looks like it in the pictures, I think that little J3 with an O-200 probably jumps in the air, he must just like to build to be putting that SC together. It looks like nice work too. Kevin

Back