• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Radio noise, radio needed

teeweed

GONE WEST
Hempstead, Texas
I posted earlier about some static in my KY92 comm.radio. I have check all I can and I still have the static so it is time to send it off unless any one out there has a KY92 they want to sell. I missed the bidding on ebay for one this afternoon. Thanks Mark

Teeweed, before you put that radio in the shop, try these things:

1. Head over to the hardware store and get some 0000 steel wool (henceforth 4ot). Then head over to Radio Shack and get some contact and point cleaner. After that, head to Big 5 or Sports Mart and get a plastic .22cal barrel cleaning brush.
2. Take the 4ot and buff the plugs on your headsets to a bright finish.
3. After you’ve buffed the plugs on the headsets, spray some of the contact cleaner on them and dry them with a clean towel.
4. Spray some contact cleaner on the barrel brush and swab the contacts in the female sockets for the plugs.
5. Disconnect and reconnect the radio to tray connection, the coax to radio tray, and the coax to antenna several times to ensure that they have a clean connection. Use the contact cleaner at these points also.

If you have Slick mags, this might help. If you have Bendix mags, check your filters.

Hope that helps.

PS Oh boy, here we go!

Noise

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I have the same problem. Only starts after the engine running for about 15 min and at high RPM. Oh--------only on xmit. RCV is clear as a bell. I've been told it's mags. I have new Slick mags.??????

I also have Slick mags and I have the opposite problem. Recv is garbled and tx is clear as a bell.

But if I don't clean the terminals every few months, all is bad.

Thanks Lawn Dart I will do as you suggest. My mechanic came over and we check several things. He finally turned down the squelch
volume from a small hole on the belly of the radio. I don't think that solved the original problem but it might make it so that the static is not so loud when I am flying. Thanks Mark

Radio Noise

Lawn Dart,

You mentioned to "check your filters" if you have Bendix mags. What exactly do you mean?

Let me explain further. I just purchased a SuperCub and replaced the Valcom radio with a Garmin AT SL40. With the engine off, the radio works fine. With the engine running, all I hear is static. I have the same issue with a handheld unless I hold it way behind my head over the passenger area.

My path right now is to fix some fraying sheilding where the p-leads go into the Bendix mags. I have also been told from another source that it may be a problem with the ignition harness.

I have seem magneto filters for sale that attach to the p-lead attach point on the Mag but figured I would try that a few steps down the road. Based on my limited inspection, it does not appear to have any mag filters installed now.

Let me know if you have any insight into this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The other Jeff Russell

Guys, I’ve scanned some pages from a magneto book that explains it.

PM me with your email address and I’ll send them to you.

Also, don’t forget that noise can come from lots of sources, spark plug leads, alternator, etc.

Back