Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Maule-Haul

Post Thanks / Like

Maule-Haul

Glad to shake an' howdy with you Maule fellers at Johnson Crick. Y'all Maule folks got any good websites? Other resources?

I discovered I haul too much stuff, and might could want a faster aeroplane which could haul more stuff, eh? Or any better ideas.

Thanks. Cubscout

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Maule-Haul

I like talkin' about flyin', Maules, Cubs, hell any tailwheel toys, but $#^*!, ya'll are askin' for trouble bringing this up around here, despite all the things we share in common with you Cub guys.

Seriously, refresh my memory friend, did we meet and shake hands? I was a little green on Saturday and my memory is a little fuzzy.

Not sure if I want to rise for this bait, but it's tempting...

Post Thanks / Like
    Not tryin' to start a R&R here, actually lookin for information.

Weren't you the feller bangin' on that ol' flat-top git-tar ( no, dang it, not that ol' flat-top PA-1. Or was that another Maule feller with Steve on his Emergency Airplane Git-tar?

Glad there's a forum where we can talk about this stuff without gettin too bent: Thanks, Steve and Dana, eh?

Thanks. Cubscout

Post Thanks / Like
    The feller doin' the guitar duo with Steve was Doug Hogan. He's got a real pretty M-7, knows Maules inside and out, and knows how to get the most out of them - he's been flyin' Maules a really long time.

Sounds like you were with the rowdy's at the Bushwheel trailer on Friday night so we probably met. Folks were helping me keep from falling all over myself if that's any help.
    I'm the guy that had the orange and white M-4-220C parked next to Dave K's plane.

I think Maules are a good match for guys who already own Cubs and who just want to haul more weight or do a long haul occasionally. They're really a great plane for when you want to take everthing with you on a long multi-day trip. The beauty of it is that you can keep your Cub and buy a Maule too for about the same price you'd pay for a cherry C180. I'd love to own one of each myself, but my budget won't permit it right now. The performance is similar to a 180 but it won't haul quite as much and it isn't as roomy inside.

I like the steel tube frame of the Maule and the robust gear (that I test the strength of regularly ).

There's a Maule Owners discussion forum here: http://www.maulemods.com/phpbb2/ that's one of the better sources for Maule info on the internet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Doug, think you were singin' what passed for "harmony" that evening. I was WAY outa tune....

I've flowed M4-220's a little bit, and interested in the type, and M5-235's, eh?

Thanks for the ping back.

Thanks, Cubscout

Post Thanks / Like
    If I was seriously looking for another Maule right now and wanted the best mix of price and STOL performance I'd be lookin' for an M-6. The M-4 wing and flaps are a little short for serious STOL work without modding the plane in other areas, but it's a speedster cruising cross-country, and very economical.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like Doug said the 4's a great plane but the M6 is gaining popularity for its STOL ablitys, with the 32'11''(I think) wing the Modified 6 wing (extended aileron) the roll control is better than stock 6 wing and with VG's there is only about 7 or 10 mph difference in Stall speed between the Maule and a Cub, in the right hands add the High end to that and you have a pretty good cruse speed and lower cost of mantience than some other aircraft you have a pretty good option to a Cub IMHO.

Jerome Ainsworth ( www.mauleak.com ) is the guy that was at JC with the Yellow Maule and he is one of the most knolagable people when it comes to Maule Aircraft you will ever meet.If you are really interested give him a call and he will be happy to answer your questions. and if you are close enuff I would highly recommend you take a test flight.

Wup