• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

oil leak help

Taledrger

SPONSOR
SW Michigan
I'm sick and tired of the oil seeping out of my O-290. I can't figure out where it's coming from. It has a air/oil separator so very little is coming from there. Cooler and fittings are clean but I've noticed a little in the area of the front seal or starter/ generator area. Can't find my parts book and was wondering if there are gasketed pieces in this area I'm missing.
Also any procedures for finding a leak?
Thanks for any help

Bob D

Persistent oil leaks can drive you insane, :bad-words: so you're not alone. Twice, I've found leaks from unexpected sources.

One was a small crack in the crankcase that remained tightly closed until the engine got hot when it would open up and leak oil. The other was corroded crankcase bolts holes. In both cases the remedy was $$$.

Don't know of any short cuts, but one way is to wash down the engine with varsol, run it up to 1800 rpm with the cowling off for a minute at a time, and check for leaks after you shut down.

There is a product that I buy from the dollar store called Grease Lightning, I think it's 3.00. Clean off your engine and spray this around the area you think might be leaking. What is does is turn the oil purple and you can see it alot easier. Oil leak shows up good with a light while the brownish colored oil is difficult to see. Good luck Mark

Oil Leaks

What type of oil are you using? I switched to Aeroshell 15w50 in the J-3
and it started leaking all over. Never leaked a drop in previous 10 years.
Changed back to straight 30W and it stopped leaking in less than 1 hour.
Have since run Phillips and Exxon without a drop leaked. Something about the additive that meets the AD for 0-320-H2AD engines doesn't like old gaskets and seals.

I just switched from 15w50 to w100 at yesterdays oil change. Someone mentioned in an earlier post it cause a significant improvement. Took it out and ran it to 180 deg. Left it sit over night and when I stopped by tonight it was dry as a bone. If the heavier oil cures it i'll be a happy man. Can't believe it could make that much difference. Will see what happens when I've run it hard for a couple of hours
Thanks
Bob D

Back