• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

tribute to Jay Hammond

Tx
i dont know if you guys have seen this but it's nice and from what i have read it's quite a loss to you alaskans

http://camera.touchngo.com/Events/MissingMan(Hammond).htm

tom ford

i guess you'll have to copy and paste the link

as seen on http://camera.touchngo.com/Events/MissingMan(Hammond).htm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Missing Man" formation for
Jay Hammond 1922-2005

Husband, Father, Poet, Bush Pilot, Fighter Pilot, "Bush Rat," author,
and oh yes, Governor of Alaska
Anchorage, Alaska August 20, 2005
from the AlaskaCam®

Hammond4.jpg

MissingMan1(Hammond).jpg

MissingMan2(Hammond).jpg

MissingMan3(Hammond).jpg

213-hammond4-400-x-260.jpg

Tom Ford

Frankly folks,

It is quit a loss for us all.

Thanks for the photos.

I usually saw Jay two or three times a week. More recently I saw David or Bella or little Jay or Lauren. I'll see them all again next week. Thanks for the photos and thoughs. I have not sorted out mine yet.

I have a flying friend on a mountain here and the daughters of friends in the lake. Jay's was right and fitting.

Wow, a float plane missing man!

I'd like a float plane to fly over me too -but a few years from now.

GR

I have a digital video of this that I took at the Park Strip on Saturday. It was a very emotional event for the many people there. Channel 2 said that tere were about 2000 people scattered throughout the park strip. Anyhow, I have a video I took, that I tried to upload on Saturday, but could not get it uploaded. It is a huge file (17 Mb) and I have not yet had time to figure out how to compress it, or cut off the first five or so seconds that are nothing. If anyone would like me to email it to them, let me know, but until I can figure out how to compress it, just know that it will take a while to download, even with a high speed connection.

We are seeing our mentors pass away more often than i remeber in the past. These avatars can never be replaced. Every flyer out there probably knew somebody that help them along the way. I hope we will all take the time to pass on what they have taught us to the knew guys. Yard Dart

Having grown up in Alaska and personally knowing Jay. I am also saddened by his passing. I often told him and others that I thought of him as the Henry Kissenger from Alaska. Myself and many Alaskans often disagreed with Jay on politics, as well as many other areas of interest. The one thing I do know is the "Mr. Jay Hammond" was RESPECTED for his passion for Life, his State, his Family and he put his Money, time and effort where his mouth went! He will truly be missed!

God's Speed Jay, and happy flying in that "perfect clean air"

Tim

PA12driver said:
he put his Money, time and effort where his mouth went!

I think that's another way of saying that he was "genuine", unlike so many politicians today!

My sincere condolences for Alaska's great loss..... it is hard to replace great statemen like him.

Not to dig up old news but I Just picked up my first pa-12, while cruising through the records jay s. Hammond owned this one in 1974 had the 320 put in it that year. What an amazing Alaskan he was

Attachments

• 2B631D03-6C04-4B16-82E2-5AD382F557EA.jpeg
    2B631D03-6C04-4B16-82E2-5AD382F557EA.jpeg
    224.3 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
I just saw that Clem Tillion, one of Jay's partners in crime in the legislature, has just passed on to bluer skies

Rep-Tillion, as Jay called him, and Hammond were co-conspiritors in getting the Legislature to do things with consequences the Legislature never envisioned. Like the Permanent Fund.....

MTV

I hadn’t heard that Clem passed. My dad used to take care of their horses during the wintertime years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I remember back in the day, I was at the super 8 in Fairbanks and I was checking in. Jay comes in and asks the front desk guy for change to buy a paper. The guy refused, I in turn told Jay it would be my honor to “buy him a paper” , and that was the start of a long friendship. I was working out of Six Mile lake and would go visit regularly! We’ve lost another older statesman. CAVU and a TAILWIND!

Back