• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Front Heel Brakes

S2D

Montana
Has anyone gotten a Field Approval to move the heel brake cyls to the front for front Pilot controls only. I know there are some flying around that way but have they been approved. I'm building up my A model with front controls only.

Brian

One of Paul Claus's Super Cubs was done that way. I think it is the one they call Alpha, maybe request the records from the FAA.

Matanuska air service(Anderson lake AK, Chapman) I think had STC for something like this i did once.... didn't work well, was removed VERY soon after, went back to original with north river brake boosters...

this picture is on current project........ going to need to add a bleeder to that high spot, at a minimum......

IMG_8865.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_8865.JPG
    IMG_8865.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 247
The only heel brake pedals I have ever had trouble with are the rear "outies" on a J3. Consider those nice rods with adjustable clevises to make the front pedals slack-free. Original Cub brakes with these rods and piston masters/discs are unbeatable.

Wish my Decathlon had heel brakes.

Thanks.
I’ve seen Alpha’s and liked the idea.
Was curious of anyone else’s install.
I’m finishing up replacing my pedals and reinforcement and was thinking about making it simpler/lighter/less of a pain in the ass to work on, maybe at the next rebuild.
Is should have good braking when this is all done though!!
IMG_3466.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3466.JPG
    IMG_3466.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 187
WhiskeyMike,
Did you weld mount locations to the frame up front for the master cylinders??

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

ED610AEA-08F5-4ABD-A6DC-28E4FCB89149.jpeg

Attachments

• ED610AEA-08F5-4ABD-A6DC-28E4FCB89149.jpeg
    ED610AEA-08F5-4ABD-A6DC-28E4FCB89149.jpeg
    293.5 KB · Views: 269
Your picture shows a question I have about the one I’m working on now pictured above. On the one I inherited the resivors are lower than the high spot in outlet hoses. Wondering if it will over flow resivors, and need resivors Raised like yours show... in addition to bleeders in hi spot hose????
mike, why don't you just eliminate the high spots in the hose? Those can be a real pain to keep out air bubbles. Over time you will be thanked.

mike, why don't you just eliminate the high spots in the hose? Those can be a real pain to keep out air bubbles. Over time you will be thanked.

Yes I agree I just see those high spots as serious air traps Can’t eliminate, because how it’s plumbed to parking brake. Plan to add bleeders. I’m just finishing this build someone else did that part.

Yes I agree I just see those high spots as serious air traps Can’t eliminate, because how it’s plumbed to parking brake. Plan to add bleeders. I’m just finishing this build someone else did that part.
I see the AN929 Cap, must be for bleeding. If it were me I would relocate that parking brake valve to eliminate the possibility of an air bubble trap. I had a retractable gear airplane (Lake) which had the masters below the lines but above the brakes. When the gear went up and down if there was an air bubble anywhere, it would work it's way to the high point. On more than one occasion, I had the brakes go from good to zero without warning all due to an air bubble getting trapped in a high spot. In some of the places those Cubs go in Alaska, I would not want to risk a sudden brake loss due to an air bubble.

Back