• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

ELECTRIC FUEL GAUGE - WHERE DO I GET ONE

OVEREASYGUY

SPONSOR
New Gloucester, Maine
I need a new electric fuel gauge.
Rochester Gauges, part #550883
it's a 0-30 ohm gauge.
univair has one but it's not technically approved for cub - $150.
NAPA probably has one for $30.
I thought ALL parts for supercubs were widely available?
where can i send mine out to get rebuilt?
thanks
cliff in Maine.

Electric Fuel Gauge

re: my fuel gauge situation (new electric fuel gauge needed) - it does not work now & i'm told $200 to rebuild it - Am I correct that I can just fly with it broken - suppose I put a label over it - Ïnoperative" then it's ok - right.
is it still ok when i go for an annual as long as it has this ïnoperative label on it?

technically you don't need any fuel gauge do you? can you just stick the tanks before flying & plan ahead?
what if I replace it with a $30 NAPA automotive gauge and put a label "Inoperative" over it - but not completelly over it - that way I can still read it.
how difficult would it be to put in the glass tubes - and eliminate this electric fuel gauge - i'd rather do that - would the holes already be in the tank for the glass tubes?
what do you all recommend?
thanks
cliff

Cliff, I sure prefer the glass tubes. I am operating from memory here, but I believe you have to have some way to determine fuel level in flight per the FARS, so the stick method might not work.

What year is your cub?

sj

Just an excerpt 91.205 is pretty long.

§ 91.205 Powered civil aircraft with standard category U.S. airworthiness certificates: Instrument and equipment requirements.

(a) General. Except as provided in paragraphs (c)(3) and (e) of this section, no person may operate a powered civil aircraft with a standard category U.S. airworthiness certificate in any operation described in paragraphs (b) through (f) of this section unless that aircraft contains the instruments and equipment specified in those paragraphs (or FAA-approved equivalents) for that type of operation, and those instruments and items of equipment are in operable condition.
(b) Visual-flight rules (day). For VFR flight during the day, the following instruments and equipment are required:

(9) Fuel gauge indicating the quantity of fuel in each tank.

electric fuel gauges

I've got the prettiest electric fuel gauges money can buy. They are great, except for the fact that they lie to me every minute of every flight. :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:

Back