Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Identify where this picture was taken

Post Thanks / Like

Identify where this picture was taken

Just for fun, can anyone identify where this was taken? Specifically?

By the way, that's my dad on the left, when he was a trapper.

StewartB
    Tern Lake. But I'm guessing.

SB

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say roughly the intersection of highway 9 & 1 coming up from Seward on the Seward highway... Of course, it does not look like much of a highway...

Maybe Moose Pass...

Cool picture!

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a guess, but I would say...based on the information provided...that it is about 137 miles from Homer...on the Anchorage side...

Post Thanks / Like
    My vote also goes for Tern Lake.

What year? (TJ and Alex,...didn't the Sterling Highway go in about 1947 ??)

Doubt there was much trapping going on right then,...looks like summer.

Jim

labdad32

Pic

Actually, looks they may be on the Seward side in order to follow the arrows to Kenai and Homer.

Post Thanks / Like
    They are on the Seward side. In the early 50s, the road from there to Kenai was a Cat trail. I had a friend who walked it. He's dead now, but I will see if I can find out when it was considered a road, versus a Cat trail.

Post Thanks / Like
    90 miles from Anchorage so it must have almost been in Alaska!
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok,
    I'm from here but I sure ain't as old as TJ.

Lets look at some things.

1. There is a genuine road sign. So it was no longer a cat trail. The surface behind them in good gravel.

2. The current paved highways are not exactly where the original highway was laid. The Old Sterling Hwy by Anchor point, and the old highway sections behind Quartz Creek are proof of that.

3. Soldotna & Sterling were nothing until the 60s and 70s, (At least along the highway, they are actually fairly historic. ) so they are not mentioned on the sign.

4. Homer is about milepost 171 on the new highway. From some reason the Sterling Highway mile marks start in Seward on the Seward Hwy. The new intersection at Tern lake is about mile post 35 or 37.
    Thus it is about 136 to 137 miles from the Tern Lake cut-off to Homer.

5. The Sterling Hwy was opened officially all the way to Homer in 1951. So give it a year or two for fixing mistakes before it was really worth traveling.

So I think they are standing on the Seward side of the intersection. The road behind them goes to Seward on the right side of the picture and to Homer going left and towards you. And to Anchorage going left and away.

Probably 1952 to 1960 since there is no mention of Copper Landing which was the end of the road for awhile and a major center of road construction when they were punching the road through.

My dad did blasting on a bunch of roads up here in between Army hitches. I'll ask him but I think he most did work up around Fairbanks in the late 40s and 50s. (He's the guy who blew up the old Point Spencer lend lease airbase in the 50s)

We would know more about what year if we knew when Christina's dad was born. She looks pretty young in her pics, so her folks must have been in their 40s when they had her.
    You can't go by the clothes since a few us us still dress that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Clark
    Probably 1952 to 1960 since there is no mention of Copper Landing which was the end of the road for awhile and a major center of road construction when they were punching the road through.

My dad did blasting on a bunch of roads up here in between Army hitches. I'll ask him but I think he most did work up around Fairbanks in the late 40s and 50s. (He's the guy who blew up the old Point Spencer lend lease airbase in the 50s)

We would know more about what year if we knew when Christina's dad was born. She looks pretty young in her pics, so her folks must have been in their 40s when they had her.
    You can't go by the clothes since a few us us still dress that way.
    Interesting Alex...... I believe you are right on the time frame (don't know the exact year though). My dad moved to Alaska with little more than the clothes on his back a few years after WWII (he was born in 1928, lied about his age to get in the army near the tail end of the war, got out shortly after being injured). Some guy with a grocery store named Egan really helped him out by giving him a small loan to get him started when he was flat broke.

In the 1950s he did trapping, and got into road building & construction too, various parts of the state (including the highway through Thompson Pass). I wouldn't be surprised if he ran into your dad at some point.

I have a few other interesting old pictures I'll scan in and post when I get a chance. One shows him on a commercial fishing boat called "Marigold", at a dock possibly in Valdez, a couple others at a train station, don't know which one. All historic.

BTW, you're right, my parents didn't have me until they were older...

Post Thanks / Like
    My dad was born in 29. He went into the Army in Feb, 1945 at age 16. I asked if he lied about his age, he has never answered that one. he just said that they really did not care back then and they needed bodies for the foreseen invasion of Japan. So he went to boot camp and then he said they continued training onboard a troop ship on the way into the pacific.
    After a few months on other islands, he ended up off the coast of Japan in the invasion fleet when the surrender was signed.
    He was in Japan as part of the first occupation force and then they sent a bunch of guys back down to the islands since some of the Japanese guys were not going along with the surrender idea. That is why the casualty list from WWII goes into 46-47. Not to mention the few Nazi werewolves who were doing things in Europe for a few months after the war was supposedly over.

Anyway I think my dad came here in 48 directly from the pacific. He would get out of the Army for awhile and work doing demolition, mining and road construction. Then he would do more military time. He must have been a reservist who was in and out, like many guys during the Korean war period.

I have a picture of him in 1950 when he was 21, sitting in a big crate of dynamite sticks, somewhere along the road out to Circle Hot springs.
    I know that he and a bunch of Army guys were lent-out to the new Air Force to build the runways up at Eielson AFB outside of Fairbanks.

Plus I have pictures of him in Nome in the mid 50s. At the time there were B-47 bombers on rotation status in Nome sitting on metal pierce plank runway. They were there for the one-way trip into Russia in case the big one happned.

I bet that duty sucked.

[

Post Thanks / Like
    Metal pierce plank runway= Marston Mat?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just wondering if the Egan guy was named Bill, who was governor later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeap, I was not sure how Marston was spelled in this case.

Wasn't the bad guy in Quigley down under names Marston?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by akbhm
    Just wondering if the Egan guy was named Bill, who was governor later.
    Yep, that's the only Egan I know of who had a grocery store....