Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ceconite pull test

Post Thanks / Like

Ceconite pull test

Can someone please define and describe the hows and whys of this test?
    Thanks
    Jay

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceconite pull test

[The test is done with a special tool, that the only thing it does is to make a little hole in the ceconite and see the resistance and flexibility of it. If the little hole is done easy is a very old one, you can check in the tool how much was the resistance and then you see and evaluate the time of the ceconite. I saw this tool in the hands of Dan Martínez, ex-military guy from San Antonio, I sold a 1979 SC to him and he show me how to do it. Hope that I make myself understand.

Fernando N.

quote="adobj"]Can someone please define and describe the hows and whys of this test?
    Thanks
    Jay[/quote]

Safe Skies Aviation, KMWO, Middletown, OH
    Post Thanks / Like
    The idea is to test a strip of the aircraft fabric for strength. Having the fabric fail in flight would be a real bummer, but probably only for a very short and exciting period of time.

The legal way is to cut a 1.25 x 4 inch strip off the plane, usually from the top of the plane where it is most likely to be damaged by the sun. Remove all of the dope and ravel the edges until it is 1 inch wide. Clamp one end to the end of a table, and clamp bucket to the other end. Start putting sand in the bucket. If the fabric fails before the combined weight of the clamp, bucket and sand reach 70% of the strength required of new fabric, it is time to recover. Here?s where it gets tricky? If you have a plane that requires intermediate fabric, but it has heavy duty fabric installed, the sample must be at least 70% as strong as new intermediate fabric, not heavy duty. There are other restrictions, such as wing loading and airspeed, but nothing that is going to pose a problem in a Super Cub?

Neither the punch nor the Maule tests are approved by the FAA. Their use is left up to the discretion of the mechanic by the feds. In other words, they're not going to say anything unless something goes wrong.

If you don?t have one, get a copy of FAA Advisory Circular 43.13. This is all covered in chapter 2, section 3.

http://www.faa.gov/certification/air...13/default.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceconite pull test

Quote Originally Posted by fernandonunez
    [The test is done with a special tool, that the only thing it does is to make a little hole in the ceconite . I saw this tool in the hands of Dan Martínez, ex-military guy from San Antonio,

Fernando N
    Small world. I remember Dan when I was going to school in Tulsa in 1980.