• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Super Cub pa-18 door latch

doc

Does anyone have some good ideas about modifiing a door latch for a PA-18? Currently to open the door from the outside you must open the window on the opposite side and lean and stretch through the cabin to the latch handle.
How can one simply and easily make a change so that the door can be opened from the right hand side?
Thanks!
Doc

door handles

I've seen many different ways, two of the most popular around here include;

1) Fitting another handle for the outside of the lower door. This type is made by welding on a small piece of round stock (1/4) to penetrate through the lower door w/ a folding handle. The 1/4" round stock has a slot in the end where you attchach a regular handle w/ a pin. Because its slotted & squared on the end, the handle can be swung into place for use, or folded down when not in use. When you lower the door, the handle folds flat as to not hit the fabric below the door. However if you EVER let the lower door fall It will most likey result in some minor fabric damage.

2) Another common way is to weld a short piece of an allen head bolt to the outside of the exsisting handle and then drill through the lower door glass leaving a small access hole. Then you can use a "T" handled allen-wrench as a key to slip through the hole and rotate to work the closer rods/pins. This nice things about this is that there is nothing on the outside of the plane to rub against the lower fabric when the lower door is down. However having another small hole does allow a little bit of water in during the rainy days.

That said, I keep a small bungee cord attached to my upper door for storage. When I leave the plane for a few days I shut the lower door and allow the upper door to swing down; the upper door is still outside the lower door and not messed. The purpose of the bunge is just to keep the upper door from swinging and banging when I'm not around. Keep in mind that I have absolulty no security worries where I live,we never lockour house, take our keys out of our cars, "lock" the airplanes, ect.......

I wish I knew how to post pictures, this would be a good time.

Good Flying...>Byron

As Luke just said the problem is that a handle will poke a hole in the side of your plane. I gave some thought to this some time back but just decided to leave it. The door opens flat against the side of the plane if I remember correctly. Some kind of recessed slider to effect the same action would be the remedy. I have seen handles out side of 18's but I think they a door stop to stop the handle from hitting the side. I am sure somebody has a remedy. A flat can opener style handle attatched to a shaft extension that just came thru far enough to attatch the latch ass. So the handle would trail in flight. I think thats how I would attack the problem. Pictures anybody?

Looked over a J-3 last weekend that had a small diameter bungee tied to the lower door handle. It then ran down to a hole in the floorboard. We were all kind of baffled what that was for. Then we noticed the other end of the cord was sticking out the bottom of the fuselage behind the rear gear fitting. Closed the door and pulled on the bungee under the plane, the door pops open. Simple and light!

I have an outside handle on my lower door, and wouldn't be without it. It appears to be a short extension of the handle from the inside, with a short metal rod welded on for a "Tee". Yes,...if bumps the lower fabric and makes a mark. So don't let it drop hard.

Combination of 29 inch tires and my short, stumpy legs,...makes a world of difference getting into the plane. Also a lot more convenient while it's on floats.

Jim

pa-18 door

55-PA18A,

Can you email me a photo of what you are talking about?.....think it could be locked with say a padlock when not in use......my bird is currently on the water.........thanks!
rainylake@mncable.net

Does anyone know if we can buy the door locks as we see in the Carbon Cubs9C7CE000-BE84-4A57-A5E2-562172134F81.jpeg

Attachments

• 9C7CE000-BE84-4A57-A5E2-562172134F81.jpeg
    9C7CE000-BE84-4A57-A5E2-562172134F81.jpeg
    383.2 KB · Views: 299
However if you EVER let the lower door fall It will most likely result in some minor fabric damage.

As Luke just said the problem is that a handle will poke a hole in the side of your plane.
Just glue, sew or otherwise attach a strip of thin leather to the fabric on the side of the fuselage. No damage to the finish will be done. No matter how careful you are when opening the door, one day you will let it drop.

Here is a picture. Door was modified to replace fabric with a clear panel as well.
20191122_080607.jpg

Attachments

• 20191122_080607.jpg
    20191122_080607.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,748
Steve, that looks like a good way to do it. Is the grommet on the inside or outside of the plastic window? We went the other way with mine. Some padding under the fabric and a patch of fabric as an extra layer where the T-handle hits when the lower door is open. It's been almost 4 years now and no issues with damage to the fabric or paint.

I do like the Allen wrench recessed method, but have a hard enough time just remembering where I put my keys.

Jim

Steve, that looks like a good way to do it. Is the grommet on the inside or outside of the plastic window? We went the other way with mine. Some padding under the fabric and a patch of fabric as an extra layer where the T-handle hits when the lower door is open. It's been almost 4 years now and no issues with damage to the fabric or paint.

I do like the Allen wrench recessed method, but have a hard enough time just remembering where I put my keys.

Jim

Steve did mine that way and its handy, only issue was the paint build up in the allen bolt so I ground down the key a bit...

lock.jpglock3.jpg

Outside latch + minimum security lock

Attachments

• lock.jpg
    lock.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 483
  • lock3.jpg
    lock3.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 265
Did mine like Steve says above, allen head welded to the mechanism. You can just see the hole in the fabric for an allen wrench that I burned through the circular patch in that area . I cut an allen wrenchIMG_0453.JPG a couple inches long, drilled a hole and have it on the key ring.

Attachments

• IMG_0453.JPG
    IMG_0453.JPG
    246.8 KB · Views: 238
Back