• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Installing new floor board stinks.

Alex Clark

Life Long Alaskan
I am just about finished with the new forward floor board for the PA-11.

Talk about a big pain in the butt!!!!. I can see why lots of PA-18 boot cowls are different than the old style. At least you can get to the bottom nuts that way. Mine was all riveted and seamed. Plus the PA-11 tubing is NOT the same as a PA-18. It does not have tubes were you would think they would be.... So now I have two new 3 inch inspection holes that need reenforcement rings and covers.
Will the madness never end???

Alex Clark said:
...Will the madness never end???

Nay, it never ends. I had half the fun just changing the rudder pedal return springs. :bad-words:

Hang in there!

Alex,

Like I tell everyone and I don't know as this has anything to do with Alaska but nothing is every as easy as it should be up here. Things always seem to take more time and effort than one would plan for. Good luck.

Build Time

Alex,

Here at RV Central, we have a saying "RV Minutes" a twenty minute job takes 2.5 hours.
We have completed more than 20 + RVs and one North Star/ S Cub.
Boy, where does that time go??

"I'm going to kill that ^&$^#$@@# engineer when I c

I've always suspected that the concepts of engineering and Cubs are mutually exclusive. Who in their right mind would have set out to design an airplane (J-3) where you have to sit in the back seat to fly it solo? I think it just sort of turned out that way, and the government in its infinite wisdom certificated it anyway.

Getting the rudder pedal springs in there with only a 3 inch inspection port to work though really stinks. Especially since the inspection port is under the brake pedals and not the rudder pedal area....

Trying to hold the pedal in place, hold the U-clamp, and hold the washer and nut, while not pushing the bolt back upwards, ......in the rain, with bugs crawling all over.....made me say really bad words....

Sounds like a job for a Snap On Mouse. That was the running joke at the shop I used to work in. When you couldn't get to some bolt or some impossible rivet to buck you would ask the other guys for the Snap On Mouse. :lol:

Human beings don't have the proper number of elbows and our arms are not long enough to do aircraft maintenance.

Back