Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What Thread Seal for Fuel Lines ?

Post Thanks / Like

What Thread Seal for Fuel Lines ?

I was getting a faint smell of fuel when I opened the super cub door after it had been closed for few days this plus never seeing the float balls in the sight gauges I decided it was time to go over the fuel system. Over the weekend I drained the tanks, remove the gauges, fuel selector and all the rubber fuel interconnect hoses. Turns out there really were little deformed things stuck in the fuel gauges that at one time might have been floats !!. The pipe fittings on the new fuel selector value I had installed last year were seeping. The rubber hoses were OK but ready to be replaced. After cleaning everything up and ordering new gauge gaskets & float balls I realized I wasn't sure what to use as a pipe thread sealant ? EZ-Turn? Seal Lube ?

What do you folks use with success? I'm figuring I need it on the value pipe fittings, tanks sump drains and at least the upper float gauge fittings (the bottom ones are sealed by the gasket but it probably won't hurt to use a little on them).

My APs a friend and usually works on Cessnas, he said he uses aviation form-a-gasket which I suspect is what he used when he replaced the valve last year for me and now leaked.

Thanks
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Fuel Lube

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Loctite PST 592 for all threaded fittings. Pipe sealant with Teflon. Works great and have never had a leak since I started using it. Can't say the same for any of the other "sealers" that I used prior and this stuff doesn't harden making things near impossible to disassemble later on.

Wayne

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Wayne,

I think I'll try the Loctite I suspect Fuel Lube might also work but I can get the loctite locally, Aircraft Spruce no longer lists the Fuel Lube??

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Loctite makes a bunch of products and I have always heard glowing reports on everything they make.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Wayne on the 592 PST Loctite, and use the 515 also for gaskets, case halves or whatever needs a leak proof assembly. The blue removable Loctite also works well on fittings.
    Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    The fuel sump valves I just put in my -12 recommend Parker Seal Lube. As I had loctite in the garage there was no reason to inquire abuot wht this seal lube is, but for what it's worth, that's what the manufacturer of the sump drains recommends. Loctite works just as well.