• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fallen Fathers

Scooter7779h

PATRON
Anchorage, Alaska
I know this is a bit off of topic, but wanted to share. I spent most of April taking care of my Dad at home under Hospice care and home health as he succumbed to his fourth bout of cancer. We buried him 29 days after he was diagnosed that the cancer was back (he had 3 prior rounds of it, and had been healthy for the last 5 years).

He was a tough dude, and loved to fly in the Cub and 185 both. He was a nose gunner on a B24 crew in WWII but would never talk about it, even in the end, and I respected that. After he died I found his own logbook, and sheeez 49 missions into European theater, and shot down twice. I transcribed only a couple of his entrys, and found his bomber group on the web... If you are interested:

http://www.450thbg.com/real/biographies/schoder/schoder.shtml

Here is a salute and toast to all fallen fathers, and all flying veterans that kept our land free!!!!!!!!!! :drinking:

My thanks to you dad and all of those who have helped to make our country what it is today.

Paul

Hear, hear

Sorry to hear of your loss.

My uncle flew many missions in the Pacific including his tour in the left seat with the Black Cats (PBY's), and then, after surviving that, they made him do something really heroic - they brought him back home and made him an INSTRUCTOR!

What an incredible, amazing bunch of men they were! We won't see the likes of that generation again soon. Mine was in the Signal Corps somewhere in the South Pacific, and my mother still doesn't know what he did there, let alone us young'uns. He refuses to discuss it; "Why would I want to share any of that horrible business with you?" was the only thing he offered. They saved the damn world, is what they did. Terrified? Scared? Maybe - probably. They still went out and got it done.

We're incredibly fortunate to have known a few of them. Mine's 83, and I have a running bribe with him: I get him a $250 bottle of Scotch every year for his birthday. "I'll stick around until you go broke, then, kiddo!". I always make sure I have a bit of extra cash on St. Valentine's Day.
(My niece helped out when she came home from Glascow with a nice Laphroaig this year - we always swear that we're trying to kill him off so we don't have to get him one next year).

My hat's off to your dad. And my uncle Herb, and, of course, my dad.

Here's to all of 'em - every one.

My heros.

Mike

I feel proud that you would share your fathers memories with all of us and my heart goes out to you and your families..Ted

The WW2 vets are passing at a very rapid pace. It's too bad we can't get an interview form each of them. There are amazing stories that will never be told. Thanks for sharing that one!

Please tip your glass to the 'old man' for me.

My dad turns 80 this year; a Navy vet - '43 to '46.

Jon B.

Damn Scotter I haven't had tears in my eyes for along time but not today. Thanks for sharing. I too lost my cousin in 17's over Germany and an uncle in the Pacific. Great guys all of them but boy!! how quick we forget.

Jon B. said:
The WW2 vets are passing at a very rapid pace. It's too bad we can't get an interview form each of them. There are amazing stories that will never be told.

Best now to take advantage of events like these in which you can meet and hear these WWII vets speak while they are still around:

Recreation of the Chance-Vought Corsair factory, 9 flying Corsairs (!):

http://www.veteranssalute.org

Reading Air Show, many WWII vet speakers:

http://www.maam.org/maamwwii.html

My deepest sympathy to you and your family for your loss Scooter. I'll raise a glass in your father's memory with a thankful thought for his service that supported our freedom. May God bless and keep you all.

Semper Fidelis,
Gunny

I'm sorry for your loss, Scooter.

I guess I'm lucky - my dad will tell stories of his service if I just ask. He was a photographer in the Navy in the S. Pacific in WWII, and has quite a few photos from that time. And a story to accompany each one, too. Air-to-air formation pics, sunken Japanese battleships, kids swimming, WAVES smiling and strutting under the tail of a large plane. He's a youngster, only 80 now, so he only saw the last couple of years of the war. He recognizes the sacrifice that a lot of men made, and that his job was easy by comparison.

Anne.

I'm sorry for your loss, too, Scooter. Dad's and Mom's aren't replaceable. My thoughts are with you.

Randy

Scooter,

Let me add my condolences for your loss. I know what you are experiencing. I lost my father a couple of years ago.

He was a B-29 bombardier who flew 38 combat missions in the CBI and South Pacific. He too, never spoke very much about his service, but I had the opportunity to attend one of his bomb group reunions several years ago. Being able to sit in a corner and listen to him and his crew talk about the war and the things they saw and did was an amazing experience. I learned a lot that day about him and his generation.

These were people who came from every sort of background and nearly every state. They didn't consider themselves heroes or anything special, but by their action they literally changed the world. I wish I had a recording of those guys talking about the old days. It was the best history lesson one could ever have. If any of you folks have the opportunity to go to a unit reunion with a relative or a friend - do it! You will learn a lot about these guys and really appreciate just how much we all owe to these people.

79H
My condolences to you and your family, and thanks for sharing your Dad's story. "The Greatest Generation" is sadly fading fast from the landscape. Our WWII vets deserve all the time and respect we can show them in their remaining years.
I look at my 17 yr old son and hope he realizes the difference between him and the old man he sees is the calendar. No way he can now imagine ever being 80, but I remind him the old man can clearly remember 17.
Regards
Chris

Condolences, and prayers up for your father. Sounds like he was real fighter in many ways. God bless our WWII vets.

They were the true Men of Steel.

Not only did they save the world but they held our country together for 50 years after the war. I really makes you wonder about our future when they are all gone.

xx

The Vets

I love talking to older people, Its amazing how quick people forget about how much our vets went through. When I bought my plane in California to bring home on a trailer, I met some of the finest old vets from the 2nd world war. People who flew the bombers, hero's for risking there lives, just so you and I could live at peace. I met one guy that while fighting in the jungle that was full of mud, thorns and everything was just bad. He said most fighting was hand to hand, but sometimes there would be a few days of no contact. He said he remembered asking for a paper back book, anything to read. His commander said no, most of you wont live long enough to finish it. Saying thanks, just isn't enough

Truly the greatest generation.........my sympathies to you and your family!

Back