• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Float Hatches

harneymaki

Esko, Minnesota
Wondering what the dimensions of the common float hatches are. Super Cub sized floats and others also.

Thanks

Paul

Paul,

Depends on what the size of the float tops are. If you have EDO 2000's, the hatches have to conform to the size of the tops, between the bulb angles. If you have Baumanns, you can make them a lot bigger, cause the tops are wider.

MTV

I have hatches on my Edo 2000's. The bad thing about them is virtually no one makes a dayum gas can that will fit through them. I look every time I am near a gas can section in a store. One day I hope to find some. The only ones I have found are 1 to 2 gal cans.

My EDO's are 2960's. Sorry I didn't qualify that. The hatches are by a guy whose name I can't remember, in Willow, AK.

BTW, Lake Hood is 100% ice-free, and officially opened today.

SB

Thanks.

I should have worded the question diferently. What I'm looking for is the max size "box" (L x W x H) that can fit into the various common float storage areas on Super Cub sized floats and others also.

Thanks

Paul

gas

Paul & Donnie, when going on long trips to remote lakes in Canada I often carry six 2.5 gal bulk oil jugs in each float. (EDO 2000; Kenmore hatches) Extra 30 gallons goes a long way when fuel stops are few & far between !!

Where abouts in MN are you located ?

Paul,

Not to be redundant, but floats made by different manufacturers have VERY different hatch sizes. The EDO floats (2000's), are what's been described so far.

Both Baumann and Wipline make floats for the Cub that have MUCH larger float hatches. PeeKay's floats have somewhat larger float hatches, but not as big as the Wips or Baumanns.

I'll see if I can remember to measure the hatches on the Baumanns today.

MTV

OK Paul.
I just ran out and measured the Wip 2100A on the PA18.

The hatch clear opening is rectangular 1'-8.5" x 10.5"

beneath this opening the compartment flares out and is
1"-10" deep from the keel to the bottom of the deck.
From transverse bulkhead to transverse bulkhead 2'-4"
from outboard skin to inboard skin at the widest point 2'-2".

Longitudinally the compartment is v shaped from the keel to the
hard chine and becomes a 3 sided rectangle (sic) above the chine
which sits about 8" above the keel.

Joe

Joe,

I pull out the wood floorboards in the hatches and it makes them a LOT deeper... Unless you already did that...

sj

Back