• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

bolt length o-200 on J-3

JimC

Can anyone tell me what length the bolts are that hold the O-200 case and rubber bushings to a J-3 mount? I ordered a mount and O-200 bushing kit from Univair and they sent me a C-85 bushing kit. When I called, they first insisted that the two were identical, then after a few hours backpedaled and sent me an O-200 bushing set. However, they duplicated the C-85 bolts in the second delivery. When I called today, we went through the routine again, but this time they insisted that the bolts are the same length for both the C-85 and the O-200 installation even though the front to rear distance through the O-200 case and bushings is much longer (you can't compress the O-200 bushings enough to pass this bolt through them, the case, and the mount, much less have enough bolt showing through to capture a nut thread and start tightening. Quite frustrating.

Thanks,
JimC

the 0-200 uses a full floating type mount. The A and C series engine use conical rubbers with a few exceptions. Rumor has it that a company out there makes adapters to mount the 0-200 with the conical rubbers. This must be used becuase the engine cases on the A and C series engines are actually considered part of the engine mount. Not so on the 0-200 engines. Look at a c-150 mount and how all 4 engine mounting positions are connected by tubing and then look at how an engine mount for the smaller A and C series engines is built. all the mounting positions are floating at the end of a section of tube. Make sure you have the inserts for the 0-200 cases before installing it on the wrong kind of mount. Just because the bolt holes line up does not mean it works.

Jason
N43643

Tim, thanks -- that was a big help. Turns out that the bolt by others for mounting an O-200 on a J-3 mount that has been approved for use with O-200's is 13/16" longer than the bolt used to mount a C engine.

Jason, thanks also. I found it most interesting that Continental doesn't consider the robustly built O-200 case to be a part of the mounting structure, but does consider the more lightly built C case to be so. Where does Continental document that? I need to show it to my mechanic.

All the best,
JimC

If your STC says to just bolt it on and go. That is what you are suposed to do. IF not I would try to locate some of the adapters designed to use the cone "C" type mounts. I bet some one on the J-3 club/forum would know more about this subject. I have flown a J-3 with the 85/0-200 engine and it makes them light planes jump right off the ground. Good luck!!

Jason
N43643

Hi, Jason. I appreciate the update and additional information. The conical mounts and cross tubes weren't really my problem. The problem was that the bolts that came with the O-200 Lord mounts and new engine mount for the O-200/J-3 combination were the wrong length (way too short). Turns out that others who are flying the O-200 on J-3's are using AN7-47's, so that is what I'm going to do as well. Problem solved.
Many thanks,
JimC

So you mounted the lord mount bushings to the standard j3 mount? I just got a great deal on an O200A for my pa 11 ex project and it has lord type mounts of course. If the bushings that came with it wont work....il get the adapter cups.

Jim. If you are going to use the Lord bushing, keep an eye on the bottom right (looking from the pilot seat forward) cluster as that is the one that will crack. It will be supporting most of the weight with a Piper mount. Jerry B.

Thanks Jerry, Dan, and Doug. That post was from 10 years ago. Got the bolt length question sorted out back then. The aluminum adapter cups aren't needed. After ten years, I still think a non-electric O-200 mounted by 337 is the perfect combo for the J-3.

Dan, I used the Lord's on the stock J3 mount.

Do you guys know of an STC or 337's for an O-200 on a PA11?

Much appreciated,
Jim
11/2/2015

Last edited:
Thanks Jim....I believe that's what I'll do as well. I'm experimental so the o200 is a non issue. I'll check some of my sources though and let you know if I find anything on the STC or 337 for a PA11 install.

Thanks, Dan. I've located one 11 about an hour away that has an O-200. Don't know yet if it is by STC or 337.

Jerry, thanks for the tip. So far, so good. Ten years in, and no cracks yet. Will keep checking though.

Back