• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Float Fittings

Laz

FRIEND
Girdwood, AK.
I'm about to install a set of float fittings on a 2+2 and have some questions.
I've built a weld- on set from the Northland CD, but haven't decided on what to do for the cross brace tabs(wires)? I've seen two styles of tabs on 18s and Pa12s. The single ear tab as on the CD and a "two ear" tab on 12s. Does one have an advantage or is it related to float manufacturer?
Also, how critical is the the hole alignment (main struts now) from left to right fittings? Do they need to be exactly parallel to each other like wing fittings or is there some play in the strut attachments?
Thanks, Laz

Laz,
Use the PA12 style on your 2+2. The fuselage is wider and the 18 style fitting will not work because the brace wire fitting is at the wrong angle for the wider fuselage.
keep the fittings lined up as close as possible, but there is some room for misalignment.

John

Laz,

The other option is to weld the single tab in the vertical position instead of horizontal. One other thing to look at is how the fabric is going to be faired on the bottom. What are you going to use for mounting blocks in the float fittings steel or aluminum? If you are going to use aluminum I have some cut offs laying around let me know what you need. If I have any I'll bring it up next month.

I hope you will be around during the Alaska Airmans Show I'd like to stop out and look at the project again. I don't know if I told you I sold my 2+2 project but it's still in the hangar and Matt is helping the new owner with it. I'm planing on bringing a care package with me if the Airline People don't eat if first. again I want to thank you and your wife for the wonderful hospitality last year. Now for the embarrassing part I can't remember your wifes name or find where I wrote it down and my two boys are no help either. Again hope to see you next month.

Si

Si,
Good to here from you! I'm planning on being at the show saturday, work permitting (we start running sunday).
Haven't thought about the blocks yet but aluminum sounds lighter. I'll have to check the fabric clearance.
Not much to report on progress last winter. I built the trim system and rear seat, but ended up doing much needed work on main part of the hangar. hope to get the fuselage to paint this summer and wings next winter. Hopefully some covering in there someplace!
Wife is Jonnie. Don't feel embarrassed, I'll probably miss you at the show!!

Laz

Back