• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Modifications

Chris Floyd

Charlotte, NC
I am hopefully going to be the proud owner of a 150 HP SC(which I actually know little to nothing about) on Monday if it passes the prebuy yeh yeh. I have been wanting to join this community for years. I fly in the SE US and will fly off grass mostly. I have been reading about Thrust line, some exhaust mod, (It has BL Vgs now), landing gear Alpha something, and I want to know what this group feels as to the different mods and their "return on investment" practically or emotionally. More speed is of a little value in that I will use this for a max 200nm flight every other week. I emotionally would like to be able to "land in the back yard" and takeoff from the same. Practically, I have a 2400 to 1600 foot strip depending on certain things, so I can land on it without question. This airplane will be primarily for fun and flying the 200 miles. I would appreciate any help I can get. Thank you, Chris

Fly the airplane for 6 months to a year keeping in mind what modifications are available and then decide what, if anything you want to change.

Ditto DJ's comments.
Bone Stock Supercubs have been used for years with great results.
Start adding modifications that enhance safety first.
1. shoulder harnesses
2. Heavy Duty header tanks
3. Safety Cables
4. Steve's Aircraft Gascolator
etc.
Unless you are using the Cub for Serious work, most of the rest are just for chest thumping and impressing the neighbors. ( they'll already be impressed when you just show up with a Super Cub)

S2D,
I'm not wanting to start a critique of Steve's Aircraft Gascolator, they look very nice to me, but why would you list them as a safety item?

Thanks,
KelvinG

gascolator

The stock gascolator bowl will break off in any mishap that takes the left gear off or lets it go out. I agree with S2D, The gascolator and stock header tanks are 2 of the most likely places for a post-crash fire to start and they are both easy and cheap to improve.
Dave

Plus those old gascolators are a bitch to keep from leaking. The tops warp and the bail pops out. I think they are junk. Steve's has a cotter pin to lock it and an o'ring to seal it. So simple its almost criminal.

Most good ideas are simple!

Thanks for the info. You guys just put an end to my ebay shopping for a gascolator!

KelvinG

Chris, good luck on a successful purchase!

Also, have you thought seriously about a pre-buy? You say you know little to nothing about the airplane.......A scary thought.

If your Cub-experienced mechanic gives the a/c a go, and you buy it.......put some time on it and enjoy it.

Mod it later.

If you really want one I have a box of them but I really like Steve's.

Thanks but I think I will go with Steve's. I plan on using my homebuilt off field allot. I've been convinced Steve's gascolator makes sense for me.

KelvinG

Proud Owner

My A&P/IA did the prebuy and after I wire the funds in the AM, I will own it. It is Christmas in April

Back