• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Spark plugs

cubdrvr

SPONSOR
YKN(mother city of the dakotas)
Anyone have an opinion on the use of Iridium plugs? I've never used them and don't know anyone who has. At over 3X the cost do they pay off in the long run? How about using one per cyl.?

Dave---go for it--you will not regret it. I had two full sets I would alternate and had them for over 5000hrs as far as I know they are still running. They will still fire carrying a heck of a load of lead. I used to oval out about 250 hrs with the other ones and always had to rotate because fo the lead problem(top to bottom) If you put any hours on in a year they are most definitely the way to go. Did I mention how much I liked those plugs :D :D

Mark

spark plugs

dave,
ran them in a turbo 182 rg that was bad about leading up,was a lot better with ird. plugs,after you get by the cost anway.
really enjoyed the visit,see ya next time.

jr. & j.d.

I had a lot of trouble with my Cessna 180, lead-fowling when flying for several hours at high altitude. I was only pulling 19-20" Hg, and it just wasn't enough to scavange the lead. Switched to Iridium, and never had any more problem (at least with the spark plugs).

I had great luck with them in a 185 and when they finally wore out (800-1000 hrs) I put some standard plugs that I had in stock back in and am not happy with them the Iridium's run smoother and do not seem to foul up, Once they wear our Iridum ones are definatly going back in the 185 and the Super Cub also.

They are expensive but will easily pay for themselves over their life in my opinion.

David.

Hey Capt

I have been looking for someone who wore a set out. What finally wore out in the end???

Mark

Mark,

The center fine wire electrode finally wore down to a tiny sliver, I'd been figuring they be shot for about the last 200 hours but they just kept on firing so I left them in, The gap got so large on 1 or 2 that they stopped firing so I pulled the whole set as they had seen better days.

I hope that helps...

David.

Most models of Iridium plugs are on www.SkyGeek.com. Might even have the new Unison a/k/a Autolite "Fine Wire" plugs that are cheaper in price. No clue if they last as long as Champion

I know there are none for a 320 B1A. Are those diffent cylinders than a A2A or B?

Thanks Capt

I could never find any wear at all on mine and the gap was fine and they tested good. I talked to a guy that used to work on the Connies. He said they had 55 gal drums of used sparkplugs of the precious metal kind. He said they were fine but they just got changed. Can you imagine that! Like finding a coffee can full of nuggets! I inquired some more and he said the failures he had seen were in the center electrode. It was my understanding they would fail in the housing. Appreciate the feedback.

Mark

Edit---seems to me it was a 38S--does that seem right
Edit-Edit---Looked and I am almost positve I was running a REM 38S and that would be the same for the 360---consult your local engine guy!

http://www.prime-mover.org/Aviation/Manuf_Page/si1042t-2.html

Please post it if anyone finds a good buy on them, I'd be up for a set. Crash

You can sometimes find them used. I paid $48 each new for mine about a year ago which I hear is a great price. I used to have some fouling problems but not any more (yes, I lean agressively to an EGT/FF, but still got some fouling).

I think the Iridiums are the cat's meow. I understand that Unison is getting into the fine wire game and will be somewhat cheaper - at least that is what I heard.

sj

FORTYSIX12 said:
I know there are none for a 320 B1A. Are those diffent cylinders than a A2A or B?

Why not?? Should be the same REM38S and if by chance yours has 3/4-20 harness threads RHM38S

Same plug for all the O and IO-360's as well.

If you happen to need long reach plugs then REB36S

Plugs

I use them in my 160 hp. They do foul a little but have always fired evenly. I clean them every 25 - 30 hours with Hoppes #9, and do some digging with a tiny pick or safety wire. I never use a blaster on them, but then I don't have near as much to do as some of you guys. The plugs have been in there for 6 years.

Mine have been in the 185 (IO470F) for 12 years and 600 hrs now. Take em out, look at them, put em back in.
Wilbur

Is that what makes him run like a "gut shot panther"? :lol: I think so.

TOM

PS. people say you can have a good time without drinking, but why take a chance? :drinking:

Back