• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Super Cub Weight?

What does your super cub weigh?

• Total voters

glassjet

Wasilla, AK
What is a reasonable weight for a Super Cub..... with and without mods? PA-18's only pls..... just to keep apples with the apples....

My 76' PA-18 150 which is in stock configuration except AK Bushwheel 31" radials/tailwheel, Borer prop, LW alternator/battery/starter, Becker Com/Trans, Apollo 360 GPS, no ext baggage or metal headliner, original dope finish & gear weighs #1100.

Bob

What are the real "gotchas" as far as weight goes? I want to keep my experimental Cub light if I can. I want some electrics but will use light weight everything (starter, alt.. etc.). Isn't dope heavier than poly? What else?

I have a very stock Cub except for the big gear, extended baggage, VG's, Big tail wheel and big 31 bush tires, b-prop,gel battery,micro air radio,under seat storage,Shooters door, belly pod and AOSS gear and I only weigh 1164.
And no dope does not weigh more. :roll:

Someone should bring a scale to a fly-in. It would be nice to see what is being left in the airplane during the weighing process. It would also be cool to see how close the real weights are to the paperwork.

Did an actual weight leveled last week. 1125# with 31" Bushwheels, standard baggage, regular battery, 8242 prop. Oh, thats for a pa18...sold the 12 last year.

I figured with all of the lead in my gas I would weigh more than Gaston in his unleadedmobile. I would like to have the mods he has though.

945 pounds. L18C with C-90-12, B&C starter, heavy generator, safety cables, Micro VGs, Cleveland wheels and brakes, 8.50 tires, Microair radio, Hawker battery under front seat, rear under seat storage, OP/OT, AS, Alt, Tach, Elect T&B, map pocket, small fire extinguisher, headerless fuel system and Scott 3200 tailwheel. Stock wings and fuselage covered in Stits. Left and right wing tanks. Seems heavy to me for a 90hp. Am building one to be super light.

Bugs66---- One of the real heavy items is that old battery. The box and wiring alone is around 5.5 Lbs. Installing the lightweight underseat battery is not only lighter, its a better CG location and less voltage drop on the way to the starter. The others I can think of are the old style starter, generator, and oil cooler.
It all adds up, especially when your looking at steel.

Jerry Gaston wrote:
And no dope does not weigh more...

The dope cover off one of my -11 wings weighed 17.5 pounds.

The P-fiber off a customers' -18 wing with "heavy" Aerothane weighed only 9.5 pounds.

Same certified scale.

Not to bring up the old arguments of which is better, they each have good points, but when it comes to weight, see above.

As far as the heavy "gotcha's":

1.......what bearsnack said is true.

Also:

2. A metal belly adds up the pounds, too.

3. Extra baggage doors. (yeah, I love 'em, but they add up the weight)

4. extra radios and instruments add up quickly (think about it...... 4 pounds for this one, 5 pounds for that one, another 3 for some other goody...you just added 12 pounds)

If you make a few bad choices...you'll not be bragging about how yours is 50 pounds less than your buddies.

A few years back I owned a cub that started life as a j-3 c-65. Along the way it had a string of mods as long as your arm. It ended up being basically a 105 supercub.I had just got it and was doing some tinkering on it when an experienced cub owner came by to have a look. He asked what it weighed and I said I didn't know. He said probably a little over 1000 lbs. I said no way thats what a supercub weighs. He said it takes a pretty stripped down supercub to weigh 1000 lbs. When we put it on scales it weighed 1070 lbs. on 25-11x4 goodyears.

There was an old w/b sheet in the paper work from when it had weighed 720lbs. Those mods do add up!
Tim

i just got my "49" supercub flying a couple of weeks a go. empty is 820lbs. it has no electrical system c90-8f hand prop it and jump in, original wheel and brakes. i also stayed with one wing tank my bladder not that big. i used superfight for cover . i put a metal head liner in and used univair ribs i picked up a little wieght there. other than that i kept the cub stock. it is alot of fun to fly it jumps off ground. like steve said there is something to keeping them light! low and slow with the door open. marc

Geee Supercubber, you are so right on. It is really the pits having a 1300 pound cub on amphibs. Durn. I don't get to go anywhere.

Joe

Supercubber,

Trust me, there are a LOT of Super Cubs out there that weigh 1300 pounds. There are also a lot of Cubs out there that haven't been weighed for 30 years, and if they were to be weighed, they'd also weigh 1300 pounds.

Take a look at virtually every CC airplane. They all weigh up there. But they all have the 2000 pound GW kit, I'd guess.

MTV

Our Cub was put on scales for the first time since it left the factory 1/59. I know we have added lots of "stuff" since bought in 1964, & went from Cont to Lyc., but it came in much more than I thought it would. I think most would be surprised if their "pride & joy" was put on a set of those digitals. Came in at 1,084 lbs. with 0290D-2 & too many "goodies" for a purist. But . . . I still smile every time.

My Exp. SC weighs 1074. It has O-290, Clevelands, 26" Goodyears, battery under pilots seat, light weight oil cooler and basic AK mods. As I recall, my PA-11-90 with two 18 gal tanks and big baggage weighed about 785. It was amazing what that cub would do.

Noel Nunley said:
My Exp. SC weighs 1074. It has O-290, Clevelands, 26" Goodyears, battery under pilots seat, light weight oil cooler and basic AK mods. As I recall, my PA-11-90 with two 18 gal tanks and big baggage weighed about 785. It was amazing what that cub would do.

Any photos of your Cub?

Noel, aside from the exp. vs certified situation, which of these cubs would you prefer to fly on an average day? Does the extra power make up for the weight gain? I am starting an exp. cub and even after reading nearly every post on this forum for a couple of years I am still struggling with the engine choice question. I am at 4500 feet with mountains up over 10000 ft. so am leaning toward more power, but lower fuel consumption would be great. It sounds like people with little cubs tend to love them but the high alt. worries me.
I would appreciate input from anyone.
Oh, the primary use would be pleasure, but short field performance is definitely a plus . Thanks, Tim

supercubber said:
In Louisiana I don't think it matters much, heard cubs turn into rust buckets in short order down there. 8)

Dear Supercubber,
Here in South Louisiana we have a term to describe the ignorance you are displaying. we speak of you as "un homme avec un âne en papier" ..
and it's best you are careful where you sit.

T Willson said:
...am leaning toward more power, but lower fuel consumption would be great... Tim

Not much difference in fuel burn for same hp. A 90hp wide open burns about the same as a 150hp at 60% (90hp). You might burn 1 gallon per hour more with the heavier airplane, but you'll have the power when you need it.

T Willson said:
Noel, aside from the exp. vs certified situation, which of these cubs would you prefer to fly on an average day? Does the extra power make up for the weight gain? I am starting an exp. cub and even after reading nearly every post on this forum for a couple of years I am still struggling with the engine choice question. I am at 4500 feet with mountains up over 10000 ft. so am leaning toward more power, but lower fuel consumption would be great. It sounds like people with little cubs tend to love them but the high alt. worries me.
I would appreciate input from anyone.
Oh, the primary use would be pleasure, but short field performance is definitely a plus . Thanks, Tim

Go with an O-360. Dave Calkins and I were dropping skiers in the Chugach mountains last Saturday with two other guys, one in a 150 hp Cub and one in a Maule. I don't think any of them would say my 180 hp Cub on skis in the mountains isn't a good set up.

The week before I flew 30 hours on the Iditarod with two 160 hp Cubs and a 0-290 Citabria. My 0-360 burned less fuel then the 160 Cubs and was right at the 0-290 burn rate. Kept light, an 0-360 Cub does everything better. Take care. Crash

Steve Pierce said:
945 pounds. L18C with C-90-12, B&C starter, heavy generator, safety cables, Micro VGs, Cleveland wheels and brakes, 8.50 tires, Microair radio, Hawker battery under front seat, rear under seat storage, OP/OT, AS, Alt, Tach, Elect T&B, map pocket, small fire extinguisher, headerless fuel system and Scott 3200 tailwheel. Stock wings and fuselage covered in Stits. Left and right wing tanks. Seems heavy to me for a 90hp. Am building one to be super light.

Hi Steve,

My 90 horse PA-18 weighs in at 910 lbs. It's a stock airplane in all respects, with the basic VFR panel, Icom A200 radio and PS engineering intercom, no mods, stock starter and generator. With the exception of the radio and intercom, it's pretty much the way it came from Piper in '57.

Joe

Back