• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Super Cyclone?

glassjet

Wasilla, AK
Anybody know anything about the Super Cyclone? I understand its a C-180/185 Kitplane but that is all I know....

I bought a Super Cyclone fuselage back in 1998. Went up to there place north of Montreal and was impressed with their production line. Watched them press doorpost parts etc. My fuselage was displayed at Sun and Fun and was to be personally delivered to IA. A freight truck delivered it when I was busy planting corn so didn't open the container until the next day(big mistake). I think somewhere to or from Sun n Fun it was involved in an accident and that's what was delivered to me. I lost $5,000 dollars on the deal. I think it is possible to get a good kit from them but I would set up some sort of escrow account when dealing with them. Might be different owners now as I think the address has changed.
Marty

I have been watching them a bit since they were covered in Kitplanes back when I was still in high school (99 i think). They had a good writeup on them back then.

My understanding is that they extended the wings by 1foot each at the root, adding flap area. The article was unclear but I got the impression that they used more of a 206 style aileron, but I have not seen that written anywhere else, and certainly people would mention that, as the 206 has way better ailerons.

I think that they have changed hands recently, as they are being advertised by a different company on www.aeroalaska.com. When I wrote to St. Just they didn't answer my questions, so I haven't been really impressed with that end of things. It would be great to be able to build a NEW 185 at a price that is only a little rediculous, rather than patching up old airframes. Of course then you get the downsides of the experimental, which is covered in many other threads so I won't go there.

Does look like a nice plane, some things I didn't like. There were no cowl flaps in the pictures I saw, also had the seaplane style doors on both sides, which can be good, but they are slightly smaller at the base than the standard door, which is already small enough for loading cargo.

Bill

Hi there. Surprisingly very little about this aircraft on the net. I notice the previous post was from 2005. Nearly ten years ago.

I'm wondering why there isn't a whole lot more out there?

Texmex.

Some years back I had a friend building one. He had built over ten airplanes prior to starting his Cyclone. He said it was by far the most difficult airplane he had built. He was a mechanical engineer in his regular job. Sharp guy so I'm thinking it is not like building an RV. I believe he was working with the factory to help them fix mistakes and make it better. Unfortunately he passed away before he could finish his kit. At any rate I would do LOTS of homework before I went down that road.

My opinion only, take it with a whole block of salt

Bill

_DSC0296.jpg

_DSC0283.jpg

Cubus Maximus, do you know the builder? I've always wanted to hear a builder report.

I doubt you could build a Skywagon from a kit for what you could buy a good certified one for. But I'd like to hear what a builder says. With the range of features of Skywagons you can get what you want from lighter early models to heavier grossing later models. And there isn't anything I can think of that I'd to to improve my own plane that isn't available by STC. Longer wings, big tires, big motors, improved props, etc. I'm not sure the E-AB advantage applies to Skywagons like it does to Cubs, but again, I'd like to hear what a builder says. I'd like to know what the Cyclone in the picture weighs.

1925 lbs on wheels it had a io-520 300 hp engine stall was 40 mph 3600 lbs gross weight cruise on wheels was 160 mph and 130 to 135 on floats

Stewart, found a few more pics I took of the old Marcil Cyclone. I think he and Matt had just finished it here: (I need to fix the originals, these are kinda' blue in the color profile)

b6124077d423b4a6fe9c2a51.jpg

57f85cdb957f24fba7c5cb9c.jpg

464bb5026c9cb75d7a57c90a.jpg

7c0b4e2e8d2b7de2514881b6.jpg

84091db51ce9e4a76cd6bb65.jpg

d70ef7b236759fb9089dc06e.jpg

5481bd3a5d994e1573c283e3.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Brad. Building a Cessna from a kit would be a lot of work. I respect what they did but I wouldn't sign up for one. It looks like a nice plane.

Does anyone know of one of these that is unfinished for sale? Would love to have an experimental 180/185, lots of stuff I'd like to try that the FAA won't allow on certificated Cessnas.

I know of an Experimental 185 aircraft with 206 wings converted to manual flaps, hybrid 185/206 horizontal stab and elevators, it is a work of art and needs final assembly, has engine and all the avionics, could be for sale. call me at (503) 680-0705. Doug

Doug, did you finish this? Been tracking commentary on it for a while now. Would love to see it flying!!

I know of an Experimental 185 aircraft with 206 wings converted to manual flaps, hybrid 185/206 horizontal stab and elevators, it is a work of art and needs final assembly, has engine and all the avionics, could be for sale. call me at (503) 680-0705. Doug

FWIW about 20 years ago a guy named Bud Morrison in Woodland WA designed what has called a homebuilt version of the 180
(although it didn
't really look much like a 180 to me in the pics I've seen).
It was called the Liberty 181.
I dunno how many were actually built, never heard much more about them and I've never seen one in real life-
in spite of living only about 175 miles north of Woodland.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled/Morrison-Liberty-181/845738

I think it's Canadian-registered now...
FWIW about 20 years ago a guy named Bud Morrison in Woodland WA designed what has called a homebuilt version of the 180
(although it didn
't really look much like a 180 to me in the pics I've seen).
It was called the Liberty 181.
I dunno how many were actually built, never heard much more about them and I've never seen one in real life-
in spite of living only about 175 miles north of Woodland.

Back