• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA12 Performance (115hp)

peeto

Does anyone have experience with the 115 hp version of the -12? In particular, FUEL BURN and performance stats...am looking for a knock-around a/c that has a low fuel burn that I might put on floats...have experience with a PA11, wondering if it is similiar...I can find performance on the 150 version but not the 115...thanks for any response.

I haven't actually flew the 115 hp PA-12 but I have two 12s a 150hp and a 180hp. If it doesn't have flaps - which I doubt any 115hp will- you will not get off the water very easy. This will not be a good float plane. You will need to be light for all of you flying in order to have much fun.
Fuel burn will be the same for any 115hp - about 6.5 per hr.
Depending on your application, this could be a fun plane to fly. Of course my view is slightly slanted because it would be almost useless in Alaska for the kind of flying I like to do.
My 180 hp is on floats and it makes a great float plane.

Thanks Ron

As Ron mentioned, it will depend on your application.
A point to make on a 115hp without flaps is that I think performance is relative term. I got my float rating in this exact airplane at Jack Brown's 20 years ago, and thought it did fine. In fact with 2 people, it did as well as our floated 85 cub with 2 people on board. Brought it home, cleaned it up, and flew it a summer from the family cabin in northern Wisconsin. We got a lot of bang for our buck that summer. It most definetly won't be a hot rod, especially compared to Ron's airplanes, or a Super Cub, but I think it would be a respectable airplane, at least in the lower 48. I think compared to most early two seat float planes (cubs, champs, t-crafts, c-140's) it did great. Best part was, it had a starter. :)
Wilbur
PS: I think we sold it with the floats and gear for $7900 back then. :(

My -12 was a 115hp flapless wonder for my first 28yrs of ownership. Figured on 5.5gph and 80kts with a climb prop. It a great airplane and about as ecomomical as a/c owership and operating gets these days. I never had it on floats, but early in it's life it was on floats a couple of times in MN. I figure they must have had long lakes and skinny pilots. On wheels, it will lift as many butts as you can stuff inside. Having made the change to 150hp and flaps last year, I have to say there is no going back, I'm hooked. Just wish I could get 80kts on 5.5 gph again.
Chris

Test fly the one one your looking at and document the prop twist. It is 115 hp if its a C1 and turns 2800 RPM. We are bending one back to the 12S specs of 44 inches. ours came with a 50 which just too much. The airplane will burn a gallon and half more if you run around at 2600 rpm all day. It has noticable better takeoff than the 100. The prop makes a big difference. Cruise is below a hundred. Have no experience wth it on floats.

Thanks to all...that's what I figured...I don't need a hot rod, and it won't be on floats much and when it is I will have LONG approaches... I've been looking for a 90hp Champ but can't find one so I'm starting to look at alternatives...having earned my SES in a 150 PA12 I have some experience with them-I like the room (6'2" pilot)...I would like to have an economical plane to putt around with (under 6 gallons/hr.) and this looked like it would fit the bill...thanks again.

Back